• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

johnny082's latest activity

• J
    johnny082 replied to the thread Sweet factory near the BSA.
    Bit late in the day but only just found this thread. Yes, there was a sweet factory next door to the BSA. The reason i know this is that...
  • J
    johnny082 replied to the thread National Service.
    Continuing my thoughts of events at Syerston pilot training station. I don't know if it happened at other stations, but there, a few...
  • J
    johnny082 replied to the thread Brookvale Park & Witton Lakes.
    Only just found this thread. What happy memories it brings at the age of 88. Born in Abbey Road [other end of George Road from Marsh...
  • J
    I quite agree oldMohawk. the squarebashing at the beginning was not good but thereafter it was great. While up on the flight as...
  • J
    Continuing from my last post regarding my flight with Squadron Leader Lewis. As we climbed steadily I was amazed at the patterns the...
  • J
    Squadron Leader Lewis was, as far as I know, the only officer in the RAF allowed to have his Harvard aircraft polished instead of...
  • J
    May, not sure, maybe this should be put in a different thread, but anyone out there involved in any of the old rifle clubs. For a number...
  • J
    Nothing beats the original techniques does it. I was just thinking of all the skills involved in various parts of a gun. Cannot realise...
  • J
    Anyone around who had any connection with McKecknies, Brass Founders, in Icknield Port Road. I worked in the laboratory there from 1945...
  • J
    Thank for your reply mwOnjm. Very rare see brown barrels. Can you imagine trying to buy all the ingredients for that these days...
  • J
    All my fathers family were in the gun trade in London. My grandfather was a stock maker and my grandmother a gun barrel browner. Don't...
  • J
    johnny082 replied to the thread Is This Your Motor?.
    Thanks for the pic of 1932 Morris Minor johnfromstaffs. Yes that was the one. Only one problem with the car, because wooden framework...
  • J
    Continuing my story of my time at Syerston, as said previously it was a pilot training station but was for navy as well as RAF. I was...
  • J
    johnny082 replied to the thread Is This Your Motor?.
    Anyone with a photo of a 1932 Morris Minor. Bought one in April 1956 for £7.10s. Had a rebore and oversize pistons for £5, gave it a...
  • J
    Not sure if anyone interested in my experiences in RAF on N.S. but will continue. As I said i was posted to Syerston which is situated...