• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by janet garrish

1. J

Alum Rock Road Shops

Hi, Just noticed your post re your grandfather. Was this Sid Bates? Sorry to hear he died in such an awful way. We lived at 350.
  2. J

Ward End Park

I have very fond memories of Ward End Park when I was a child in the 1940's and 50's. With my friends we would cycle from Alum Rock Road wheel our bikes round the pond and watch people rowing and men fishing all round the pond. Every year a fair would arrive and I can remember us sitting on the...
  3. J

Rivers : River Rea

I live in Rubery at the base of the Waseley Hills Country park, and the Source or one of the sources of the River Rea runs along the side of my garden. It has always been quite a talking point when we have visitors and in the 45 years that we have lived here we have never experienced any...
  4. J

BAB,when are you too old to be 'Bab'

My husband always calls our daughter Bab and she hates it. I tell her it is a term of endearment and he only calls people heloves or is very fond of Bab. its an old Brummie term.
  5. J

Loveday Street Hospital

I was born in Loveday street maternity hospital in 1942. So I was very pleased to see the photos of it.
  6. J

Alum Rock Road Shops

Hi Christine, I left Nansen Senior Girls school in 1957. I daresay our paths crossed at some point. Mom probably knew your mother she worked at Braggs until she retired my parents were living at Castle Bromwich then. I lived with them until I was married in 1965.
  7. J

Alum Rock Road Shops

Hi Wendy,its Janet I do remember the wool shop May Mtchells mom used to get our wool put by and bought more when she could afford it. Thanks for telling me about The Birmingham History Forum. Do you remember Braggs Bakery? Mom used to work there in the packing room I loved going there to meet...
  8. J

Alum Rock Road Shops

Hi Geofred. Was your grandmothers surname Bates. I remember going to visit Mrs Bates with my mother. We lived at 350 Alum Rock Road, and if I remember correctly my parents bought our house from Mrs Bates for the princely sum of £200. Although I was very young at the time so forgive me if this...
  9. J

Alum Rock Road Shops

What wonderful pictures of the shops in Alum Rock. I lived on Alum Rock Road opposite Anthony Road School from 1942 to 1962. Does anyone have any photos of the Coronation day celebrations on June 2nd 1953 held at the Morris Commercial Club on Alum Rock Road. I was 11 years old and I remember...
  10. J

Home guard Thorpe Street

Thanks Wendy for your reply we have seen the car park that was once Thorpe Street Barracks and will keep looking for a photo of my husbands father in his uniform I'm sure there must be one somewhere. His name was Henry Garrish known as Harry. Thanks, Janet and Allan
  11. J

Home guard Thorpe Street

Thanks for photo Len of Thorpe Street Barracks if you do find out any more info please let me know my husband would be very pleased. Janet Garrish
  12. J

Home guard Thorpe Street

Does anyone have any photos or information about The Home Guard,posted to Thorpe Street Barracks during WW2. The regiment we believe was The Warwick's. My husbands's father was a sargeant in the regiment and would love to know more about this brave band of men, and if a photo exists
Back