• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Home guard Thorpe Street

Does anyone have any photos or information about The Home Guard,posted to Thorpe Street Barracks during WW2. The regiment we believe was The Warwick's. My husbands's father was a sargeant in the regiment and would love to know more about this brave band of men, and if a photo exists

Welcome to the forum, Janet.

I don't have any information as far as I know, but I shall watch this thread with interest to see what emerges. One of the first things to establish is which of the 30-odd Birmingham battalions was responsible for that part of the city.

There are various bits of information about the Birmingham Home Guard on my website but I don't think that any of it gives us any clues with regard to your query.

Chris

janet, Type in search at the top of the page: thorpe st or thorpe st barracks and you will find some helpful threads. Len.

Last edited:
Thanks for photo Len of Thorpe Street Barracks if you do find out any more info please let me know my husband would be very pleased.
Janet Garrish

Thanks Wendy for your reply we have seen the car park that was once Thorpe Street Barracks and will keep looking for a photo of my husbands father in his uniform I'm sure there must be one somewhere. His name was Henry Garrish known as Harry.
Thanks,
Janet and Allan

I had a look at the pubs in the street, and the Lord Nelson seemed the most likely. the Criterion was apaprently a Davenports House, and others seem to have disappeared quite a long time before WW2. Also the Lord Nelson is threatened with closure in 1939, though it's existence seems to have been relieved for at least a short time, but it is not listed in the 1940s Kellys and after
i would also like to see an image of it

The 1890 published OS Map, The Lord Nelson was on the southern side of Thorp Street.

The PH near the Horse Fair was the White Lion.

IMG_5477.jpeg

Back