• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Janellewarden

1. J

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

interesting article on Chaddesley Corbett....Now if I can find all the Wardens and Hands who lived here in 1700-1850's I would be ecstatic. 1777 in Chilvers Coton, Warwickshire, EnglandDeath abt 1831 in Shipton on Stour, Warwickshire, England; now shipton on stour is where the Hands-Plumb got...
  2. J

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Enjoy the Birmingham post of 150 years ago. I am looking for families in Ladywood in the 1860's..anyone know the names of Hall and Tisley? Name: Albert Tilsley Birth Place: Ladywood, Birmingham Death Date: 30 Dec 1914 Death Location: France & Flanders Enlistment Location: Birmingham Rank...
  3. J

The Cross Keys Steward Street, Ladywood

Cross Keys building had certainly changed in 2012...and I suppose in 1850 it was entirely different too. Wish I could see pictures from the 1860's-1920 when our great aunt Sarah Warden was living there. And the Hands family too. Leonora Hands married our George Warden. A trip back to...
  4. J

The Cross Keys Steward Street, Ladywood

All very interesting about Crosskeys and Steward Street. You all are living in the 1950's and I am doing research about Steward Street 100 years before in 1850's when my husband's great grandparents were living there. When I was there in 2012 it was hard to imagine 162 years back. So glad you...
  5. J

Warden, Thomas Steward St., Birmingham, England

Our Wardens were all gone by early 1920's in Birmingham. They seemed to be there in early 1800's. Thanks to findagrave I did find our gg grandparents and their children buried in Key Hill. I am still trying to find out who in the family made the move to Boston Massachusetts in 1700's. And if...
  6. J

Occupations in Birmingham, UK 1841-1861

Thanks to you I spent this afternoon looking at Birmingham directories and found the other Wardens. The only ones that jumped out at me were these: 1849 White's Directory and Gazetteer of Birmingham James Hall shopkeeper 174 Brearley st W (may or may not be our Mary A Warden Hall husband)...
  7. J

Yes I have seen the Thomas Baston Warden but they are not in our immediate family (possibly be cousins?) That was Joseph Hands a colour chemist. He was a nephew of Leonora Hands Warden. https://sculpture.gla.ac.uk/view/organization.php?id=msib4_1213122088 for Thomas Warden and presumed...
  8. J

So the red box I have that says "made in England" could be something my father-in-law brought back from England during WWII? Thanks
  9. J

Whoops almost forgot this url. That mentions a Thomas Warden and I think I know now which one they are talking about. Thomas B Warden frame maker who has the brother Joseph Warden hairdresser. Still have no idea who their father is, most likely a Joseph Warden...
  10. J

I am interested in the occupations I have seen for our Warden and Hands family while living in Birmingham, UK. George Warden was a colour works laborer ; color work lab Joseph Hands a colour maker ; also called working chemist in another census record William Hands son of Joseph colour...
  11. J

https://picasaweb.google.com/104451035638691435011/StewardStreetUk?locked=true# I just did a google virtual traveling and found where I should have gone to see Key Hill Cemetery ; only got to Warstone and walking down Vyse Street ; I was so close and never realized it. Oh well thanks to the...
  12. J

Carol, so your mother worked at Manhattan. It was a great trip just to see Steward Street and thanks to all of you who have made my visit even more meaningful. I have learned so much from the forum. You all are great and awesome! Wish I had taken even more pictures; however, I am finding...
  13. J

It is good to hear about Steward Street School and the area around Steward Street. I took lots of pictures of the area and included is a church on George Street across from Steward street. that looks like it could have been there along time. It is now called New Testament church of God. Also...
  14. J

https://www.oldladywood.co.uk/index.htm Here is a great site for learning about Steward Street school. This was my first taste of knowing about Steward Street. Janelle
  15. J

Great good to know. Infant schools might be like our nursery schools? Janelle
Back