• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Occupations in Birmingham, UK 1841-1861

Janellewarden

proper brummie kid
I am interested in the occupations I have seen for our Warden and Hands family while living in Birmingham, UK.

George Warden was a colour works laborer ; color work lab

Joseph Hands a colour maker ; also called working chemist in another census record

William Hands son of Joseph colour maker

Albert Hands son of Joseph jeweller cleaner at age 15 so wonder if he became a jeweller later? and they were living on Warstone Lane

Absolam Hands color work lab

The Hands were brothers to Leonora Hands Warden

Thomas Warden a jeweller at age 19 ; when he went to NY he was a jeweller 1869 and he went to Providence, Rhode Island with wife and son and he was a jeweller in Providence.
So I am thinking I may have some of his work....like the picture of a young man in a straw-boater hat in a locket that Barbara may have worn after his early death.

I have a broach that looks hand painted like some I have seen on the internet. A square red box that says "made in England"

https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~walker/warden.html

This page shows the garnet locket with the man's picture. Also a picture of a small child dressed in a soldier's uniform in a very old metal frame. I am thinking he is Thomas dressed like a Crimean Soldier or possibly Joseph Warden the child who died young? Was George Warden in the Crimean War and died?

How can I verify if this is our George Warden?
Name: George Warden Private Campaign or Service: Crimean War Service Date: 1854-1855 Service Location: Crimea Regiment or Unit Name: 82nd Regiment Regimental Number: ??421 Lieut Col J A Robertson

Many thanks for all your replies

Janelle Warden

Whoops almost forgot this url. That mentions a Thomas Warden and I think I know now which one they are talking about.
Thomas B Warden frame maker who has the brother Joseph Warden hairdresser. Still have no idea who their father is, most likely a Joseph Warden?

https://sculpture.gla.ac.uk/view/reference.php?id=msib4_1209467378

Hulley's Birmingham Directory, Part 2, Alphabetical List to SAD-ZIN and Trades, 1876-77, Hulley's Birmingham Directory
Type: Trade Directory
Edition: Part 2
Publication Date: 1876 (Probable)
Number of Pages: 350-743
Collection: Local History Collection, Central Library, Birmingham
Collection Physical Description: Bound volumes of Hulley's Trade Directories.
Collection Context: Hulley's Directory for 1876-77.
Start Date: 1876
End Date: 1877
Archive collection/item number: Open Access

Source for Thomas Warden frame maker
p. 516.
Source for 178 Spring Hill Birmingham

https://sculpture.gla.ac.uk/view/organization.php?id=msib4_1213122088

Thomas Warden
Active: 1876 - 1877
Function: Carvers and gilders (frame maker)

Business located at 178 Spring Hill Birmingham | View on map
1876 (Presumed) - 1877 (Presumed)

Descriptions of Business or Institution

Listed in Hulley's Birmingham Directory, Part 2, Alphabetical List to SAD-ZIN and Trades, 1876-77 Hulley's Birmingham Directory
1876 - 1877
Listed as 'Carvers and Gilders'.
Sources

Hulley's Birmingham Directory, Part 2, Alphabetical List to SAD-ZIN and Trades, 1876-77 Hulley's Birmingham Directory
1876 (Probable)
p. 516.
Citing this record
'Thomas Warden', Mapping the Practice and Profession of Sculpture in Britain and Ireland 1851-1951, University of Glasgow History of Art and HATII, online database 2011 [https://sculpture.gla.ac.uk/view/organization.php?id=msib4_1213122088, accessed 09 Nov 2012]

Our Thomas Warden jeweller was 19 in 1861 and probably just starting out in the business when he decides to go to America.

https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/index.htm

Interesting about silver makers marks but I have seen nothing for Thomas Warden

Appreciate any help about this Thomas Warden ; our Thomas Warden was in New York in 1869 and got married. He was a jeweller all his life. First in Birmingham UK, New York's Greenwich Village, and in Providence, Rhode Island. His son's marriage record says "father Thomas Warden gentleman" Can anyone explain the "gentleman"

Janelle Warden

I think you will find that 'Made in England' only happened after 1896, prior to that you got just 'England' and that was after 1891. This is the rule for porcelain, I suspect it may be for all things.

Janelle

I am not familiar with the Hulley’s directory (not having easy access to the library at Birmingham) , but would think it unlikely that , at that date, a directory labelled “1876-77 “ would refer to 1866 . I think the latest is likely to be 1865, and possibly even earlier. The 1876 Post Office directory (which later became known as Kelly’s and is probably the most up to date directory) shows 178 as being occupied by Joseph Warden, hairdresser. The White’s directory of 1873 has no Warden at no 178 but does have Thomas Baston Warden , hairdresser & picture frame maker at 159 Spring hill & Congreve St. The 1872 Post office directory lists Thomas at 159 as a picture frame maker
The 1868 PO directory lists a Thomas B. Warden as a gold key maker in Dudley road, apparently with Joseph warden, hairdresser . No number is given , but by extrapolating those people still there in 1872 (when they were numbered in the directory, it is one of what was then either 31 or 32 Dudley Road. Joseph is either next door or using the same building. I think the latter most likely. In 1867 this Thomas is not listed, Joseph is a haitdresser in Congreve St, where he also still had a business in 1867. So it looks like Thomas & Joseph shared premises . don’t know if it is the saem joseph who was a colour chemist earlier.
NOTE
Both Spring Hill & dudley road renumbered from consecutibe (1,2,3..) to odd one side, even the other at a later date. I will try later today to work out what no these buildings had then.

So the red box I have that says "made in England" could be something my father-in-law brought back from England during WWII? Thanks

Yes I have seen the Thomas Baston Warden but they are not in our immediate family (possibly be cousins?) That was Joseph Hands a colour chemist. He was a nephew of Leonora Hands Warden.

https://sculpture.gla.ac.uk/view/organization.php?id=msib4_1213122088

for Thomas Warden and presumed 1876-1877 could be for earlier like 1866. Thomas Warden was in Birmingham 1861 until he left for America where he married in 1869. Always a jeweller. Looking at the map for 178 Springhill is not very far from Steward Street. Until Thomas left for America he may have had a business there at that address. Are there any directories that show businesses between 1861-1867?

I may have to look into the other Thomas B Warden and see if he was a cousin.

Thanks for the insight

Janelle

The 1867 PO directory lists only Thomas Warden, manufacturer of iron & steel plate, rivets, bolts etc in lionel St
The 1862 Corporation directory lists
Thomas Warden of Joseph Warden & Sons, iron & steel… (as above) at Osborne House, 336 Bristol road
Thomas Warden, beer retailer, York St, Harborne
Thomas Warden (junior), shoemaker, Chapel Lane Selly Oak.
None of these seem likely to be yours

In 1858 & 1862 directories 178 Spring Hill was listed as occupied by George Rice, shoemaker
In 1867 no-one is listed at that address.

Thanks to you I spent this afternoon looking at Birmingham directories and found the other Wardens.

The only ones that jumped out at me were these:

1849 White's Directory and Gazetteer of Birmingham
James Hall shopkeeper 174 Brearley st W (may or may not be our Mary A Warden Hall husband)

1872 Kelly's Directory of Birmingham >
Steward Street from Spring hill to Cope street
74-Miss Sarah Warden day school

1883 Kelly's Directory of Birmingham list Sarah Warden

1884 Kelly's Directory of Birmingham Occupation: Shopkeeper Street Address: 74 Steward street Sarah Warden (Miss)

1888 Kelly's Directory of Birmingham Occupation: Shopkeeper Street Address: 74 Steward street Sarah Warden (Miss) shopkeeper, 74 Steward Street

1890 Kelly's Directory of Birmingham >890 Kelly's Directory of Birmingham >

Sarah Warden 51 Elise Mary Snape 2 months niece

1897 Kelly's Directory of Birmingham
List her as Mrs Sarah Warden 74 Steward street

Census records seem to be the best for my family (1841, 1851 and 1861) and Sarah 1871, 1881, 1891, (1901, 1911 she is keeping boarders..)

Most of her family had died by 1901 unless it was Emma Warden Phillips and nieces and nephews.

Janelle

Back