• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by harlechjoe

1. H

Canal toll houses

Thank you so much - the amount of knowledge this forum has harnessed and is willing to share is incredible; I will look up and make contact Brandauer and ask if they were part of the pen invasion of America. I didn't realise coal went to the Droitwich salt works yet it makes perfect sense. With...
  2. H

Canal toll houses

Again, thank you for your help and advice. Provided we are snow and ice free I'll be riding the route at the end of March and shall be delighted to share my photos to readers on this forum page in early April - Joe
  3. H

Canal toll houses

Thanks for the heads-up, I can now plan some detours - Joe
  4. H

Canal toll houses

Thank you for this posting Viv. In March I will be cycling along the Birmingham Canal Network between Wolverhampton and Worcester - if I come across any other toll houses will post/share a photo on this forum. This springtime adventure retraces the route of coal to fuel mass manufacturing...
  5. H

Hen And Chickens Hotel New Street

Dear Heather , Over recent months I have been uncovering information about the Wonder stagecoach that had stopped at the Hen and Chickens. According to Harpers reconstructed time bill the Wonder stopped at the Albion Hotel and Coach Office after the H&C. The proprietor was Thomas Hicks and those...
  6. H

Coaching Inns in the 19th century

Great article and great coaching name for a fast gallop !
Back