• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Fabian

1. F

Smethwick

I know that this is an old thread, but I've just come across it. I am Smethwick 41 as well, Devonshire Rd with grandparents in Bowden and Dibble Road. I remember the chip shop in Silverton Road, cooking with beef dripping over a coal fired range. I remember the little row of shops down past St...
  2. F

The Great Stone Inn Northfield.

I know that this thread has been asleep for 7 years, but is the great stone still outside the pub?
  3. F

Orwell Passage And Scotland Passage.

I visited Birmingham today and found that on the Digbeth/Allison Street corner, work has commenced. They have excavated the ground level down and seem to have driven about four or five piles down into the earth. Does this mean that the owners have found a hotel tenant because they stated that...
  4. F

Rivers : River Rea

Sorry. I will get the hang of this one day!!!
  5. F

Rivers : River Rea

Sorry Rockinden, I replied to the wrong post, it should have been the one Jennyann wrote saying that the Rea drained into the Severn. Here it again: Hi: Here's an outline of where the River Rea flows https://www.riverreatrail.org.uk/inde...=60&Itemid=124 followed by the fact that the River...
  6. F

Items that have faded away

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4094/4916931165_3df5e6bafc_o.jpg
  7. F

Items that have faded away

Mazawatti Tea.
  8. F

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

That's the one, brilliant, so atmospheric. Where did it come from?
  9. F

That's a fantastic picture of Ladywell Walk Dennis, where did you find it?
  10. F

I remember him as well. He was a permenant fixture, had Sundays off though. Sad looking dog, but beggars' dogs always are. The must be a place somewhere to buy them probable the back page of the Beggars' Bugle - "Fully trained beggar's dog for sale. Sleeps all day, dam and sire still begging in...
  11. F

THE DEMOGRAPHY OF DIGBETH AND DERITEND by Tracy Symonds 1680 - 1850

I am adding to the above request: The name for the collection of studies on Digbeth and Deritend is called TYME GENTLEMENE PLEASE.
  12. F

THE DEMOGRAPHY OF DIGBETH AND DERITEND by Tracy Symonds 1680 - 1850

I am anxious to obtain access to this short book and the others in the series - Digbeth & Deritend Local History Project. The Reference Library have all of these, but as I do not live in Birmingham, my local library is unable to get an inter-library loan because they are reference works. So, I...
  13. F

By any means

Did anyone see the fifth episode? Finished by the old Co-Op furniture factory in Belmont Row?
  14. F

Orwell Passage And Scotland Passage.

As I have not lived in Birmingham for fifty years and I only get there twice a year, can anyone tell me if work has started on Beorma Quarter at the top of Digbeth?
  15. F

The Waterloo, Smethwick

Has anything happened yet, to the Waterloo?
Back