• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Enel

1. Enel

Cradley Heath Railway Station

Crikey this takes me back. In 1981, I moved to Cradley, and rather than drive to work In Birmingham city centre, I decided to travel in by train. A 15 minute walk got me to Cradley Heath station, and I probably did the journey into Brum for around four years or thereabouts. The old station...
  2. Enel

Fish & Meat paste from the 50s and 60s

Ah yes - ‘Brands’, a Sunday teatime staple. I always preferred crab paste, but it was sometimes suspiciously gritty in texture.
  3. Enel

Birmingham Christmas of the past

Not so very far from my grandparents then. No. 122.
  4. Enel

Corporation Street

Fascinating. The aircraft fuselage is that of a De Havilland Mosquito. These were largely constructed of wood, and the airframe manufacture was carried out in various locations, often by furniture makers.
  5. Enel

Birmingham Christmas of the past

In an attempt to try and recapture the magic of Christmas’s past, I tried to find those glass baubles online. In fact they are still made in Poland, but are very expensive.
  6. Enel

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Crikey. Having been given a clue, and also having lived in Lozells for around 17 years; I looked long and hard at this photo, but still couldn’t get my bearings. A look at my trusty 1967 edition A-Z, followed by street view confirms it of course. I have no recollection of those maisonettes on...
  7. Enel

Covid vaccination process

Yes, I think that without a haircut , I shall be getting to look more like my avatar!
  8. Enel

I have my second shot this afternoon. I’m feeling a little apprehensive about it, because I felt quite ropey after the first one, but I guess that there’s no reason why I should have the same reaction again. what with that, and a haircut tomorrow, by golly these are exciting times.
  9. Enel

Villa Cross

Sorry Myrddin, I didn’t intend to correct, but maybe to flush out one of the many experts here who might like to inform us about nineteenth century road construction methods. I’ve always wondered how they managed to keep the tram tracks clear, what with all the horse-drawn traffic churning up...
  10. Enel

Villa Cross

I may be wrong about this, but I’d always thought that tarmacadam wasn’t widely used until motor cars came along. Major roads in rural and sub urban areas would have been surfaced with gravel or clinker perhaps?
  11. Enel

An update to this. I developed a temperature of 100°F the following day, and felt rather unwell. It’s come down over the course of today to something approaching normal for me. I can’t remember feeling this bad after a ‘flu shot!
  12. Enel

Yes - I had these too.
  13. Enel

It’s really not good enough
  14. Enel

I received an SMS from my medical centre a week ago, stating that I was now eligible for my first vaccination there. I had to log onto SystmOnline in order to book this, and slots seemed to be going fast. This was to be the AstraZeneca Oxford vaccine, and that there was no need to wait...
  15. Enel

Decimalisation In 1971

Slightly off topic, but I wonder how many have noticed that copper and silver coinage up to the value of 10p are no longer made of bronze or cupro-nickel. Test your change with a magnet and you'll find that the more recently minted coins contain iron! I was still an engineering apprentice...
Back