• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Eddyjayauk

1. E

Fred Dibnahs Victorian Heroes By David Hall.

Hi all,not everyones cup of tea, but for those that like to read about Britains wonderful inventors/engineers this book offers a real insight into what made us the worlds best. Regards Eddyjay.
  2. E

Park Road Hockley

Hi all, just as a matter of interest to anyone who lived in Park Rd, the secondhand shop almost opposite the pub called the Royal Exchange was known as Bibbys, I believe they were Irish people, between the Exchange and further down my Grans chip shop, was a rather grotty shop called Sterns, who...
  3. E

The Last Fighting Tommy. The Life Of Harry Patch, Last Veteran Of The 1st World War

An biography of the very last British soldier of world war one, he was 111 years old and died in 2009, well worth a read.
  4. E

Phelps family of ford street hockly brook 1950s

Hi all, I well remember the Phelps brothers, I used to play table tennis with the younger one, Brian? this was at a youth club in I think Heaton St. I don't think I ever won though, Regards Ted J.
  5. E

Harrys War. By Harry Drinkwater.

A really good read, written by Harry himself, he kept a diary of his everyday account of his experience during World War one, He was with the Birmingham Pals battalion of the Royal Warks regiment.
  6. E

Farm Street Hockley

Hi, my mothers mom and dad came out of Farm St, just off Hockley Brook, their name was Barnes, I think it was quite a large family, I would like to hear off any relatives that may still be around. Regards Eddyjay.
  7. E

Piddock street hockley

Hi all,i came out of park rd, and I well remember the Bookies at the top end of Piddock st, by the cattle end, I used to take bets to a rather seedy man hanging around one of the entrys, does anyone remember the railway horses coming down the cattle from the goods yard turning into Piddock st...
  8. E

fish and chip shops

Hi all, I was brought up in a fish and chip shop, with my two brothers, it was my grans shop in Park Rd Hockley, and we lived on fish and chips, gran would sell a large plaice, which would overhang a dinner plate, not very thick about half an inch or so, a shovellfull of chips and a large...
  9. E

Billy Brown, I'LL tell your Mother.

By Bill Brown, a very good read, about a young lad growing up in London in the Forties,and the antics he got upto,my daughter bought this book for me from a Charity shop, so I don't know whether it is still in print.Regards Eddyjay.
  10. E

Harrisons Ltd Bradford St. Birmingham. Curtain rail Manufacturers.

Hi,yes it was a good place to work,but,I guess the writing was on the wall even in those days,demarkation was very strictly observed, you were not allowed to use any machines if you were on the bench, and the shop steward would watch you like a hawk if you should try too, I eventually left to...
  11. E

Harrisons Ltd Bradford St. Birmingham. Curtain rail Manufacturers.

Hi, yes I remember Sid Rainsford very well, a nice guy, also Joeseph Lizowski a polish toolmaker,who I worked with on Transfer tooling, Eric Laight was another name that springs to mind, there was a full toolroom there at the time I was there, very often stray animals would break out of the...
  12. E

John Rabone & Sons of Hockley rulers tapes and tools

Re: raybones rulers and tapes and tools ;of hockley ; Hi all, as a lad I lived in park rd, I well remember the young women who worked at Rabones coming up Whitmore St. 4 or 5 abrest arms linked, their lower legs wrapped in brown paper, this was to keep the coolant,suds, of their legs. they...
  13. E

Call the midwife

MUKIWA. a white boy in Africa. By Peter Godwin. memoirs of a young boy growing up in what was then Rhodesia, a really good read, a classic tale of the inevitable change, when Ian Smiths goverment
  14. E

Cycle Shop On The 'flat' Hockley Birmingham

Hi all,as a young lad 13yrs old, i worked part time for Burleys the butcher on the Flat,this shop was the one nearest Ford St, and i well remember the bike shop which was almost opposite Burleys, the guy who ran the shop Sid Lawson, was a real character, and you dont see people like that...
  15. E

First Record Bought?

Hi all, of course it was Tennersee Ernie Ford, singing the river of no return, but you know how it is after a drop of scotch,and it was past my bedtime, but why is it that a voice like Ernies doesnt get more airtime? an incredible singer, but sadly not recognised nowadays. Eddyjay.
Back