• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Phelps family of ford street hockly brook 1950s

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi guys ; i am trying to trace some relies of mine
they are my aunty win and harry phelps brian and barry phelps if any body could spare a little time to check electrol roll or possible give me any info as to where they come from or of aunty winns maiden name or anybody knows of brian and bary but would really like to know auntie winns maiden ; name many thanks astonian;; Alan;;

Re: the phelps family of ford street hockly brook 1950s

Alan, Brian is on facebook with photos of him playing his guitar.

Hi - I joined this forum yesterday as I am in the very early stages of starting my family tree and numerous internet searches brought up the details of this forum.

I notice Astonian mentions his Aunty Winnie and Uncle Harry and Barry and Brian Phelps of Ford Street - well they were my Aunty and Uncle too and Barry and Brian are my cousins so this must mean we are related.

Astonian - could you let me know who you are?!! PM me if you would prefer to do this privately rather than via the forum. I am guessing you are possibly from Harry's side of the family rather than Winnies as you didn't know Winnie's maiden name, whereas I am from Winnie's side as she was my Dads sister.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Hi Gilly123
Yes we are related. As you have read Winnie and Harry and the lads are my cousins had because of the closeness
I had to go to the same school as Barry and Bryan, Ickneild sec mod Hockley
And also regular meet ups with Winnie and Harry at there house in ford street with my mother whom is related to Winnie
Yes Gilly ,I would most certainly love to make contact with you by P ,Email ,and speak about them
Where does your connect to Winnie coming from
Gilly if you contact me by the em messages I will with out any hesitation contact you by my very personal E,mail off the forum
Lookforeward to hearing from you soon, best wishes Alan,',,'',Astonian,,,,,,,,,,,

Hi Astonian! Thank you so much for replying so quickly. So we are definitely related and I am now wondering if we have met in the past? Quite possibly. My dad Richard (but known as Dick because he preferred this) was Winnie's brother. Did you know him? My mom also lived on Ford Street - the Masters family if you remember them? Dad did not live on Ford Street but visited Aunty Win when they had a street party to celebrate the end of the war. Mom and dad met at the party. I am also related to the Atkins Twins - Margaret and Maureen - who are mentioned on numerous Hockley/Ford Street threads as their mom and my mom were sisters so the twins are my cousins. I see them fairly regularly, they are so lovely and still do everything together.

I will PM you my email address as it would be great to get in touch.

Very best wishes, Gill.

Gill I came to your mom and dad's house just as you moved into Redditch. I came with the twins and I can remember driving past an empty pub and your dad wanted to find some chalk to write on it 'a pub with no beer'.

Hi Gilly 123
Great news to know yes we are cousins ,I seem to recall mom often speaking about Richard she her self referred to him as Dickie as well
And spoke often of him and spoke of all the party's that they used to do that being the hintons and jelfs and of cause the perks and the big wiggswhom always Attended and apparently family connections from abroad
Aunt winnie ,was very disaplinned with us boys and a great rock of support for mom in there middle age
I was informed some time ago and given a number for Barry whom as been living in Spain for the last generation and as far as I know
Still lives there and Bryan set up an electrical business in Aston new town and the last I seen him on u,tube singing a song about
His Father Harry a little Fellow but a heart of gold I got on great with him
Gilly ,is that short for Gillian I am trying to cast my mind back as to whether we have met possible at one of the big parties
Well Gilly123 I am looking forwarded in you contacting me on Email where we can talk where its private
Best wishes Alan,,,,Astonian,,,,,,,

Carolina! The picture you posted is my nan, I have the exact same picture in my lounge next to one of my mom. You knew my mom & dad too? Do tell me more if you can, or send me a PM if you prefer. You said you visited their house before they moved to Redditch - where was their house? Was it in Ford Street with my nan?

Astonian - yes my full name is Gillian. Would be really interesting to know if we have indeed met at one of the numerous family parties. I was at Aunty Wins 70th birthday party (or 80th maybe?) about 25 years ago, I can't remember exactly where it was now but in a private room over a pub I think. We're you there?

I tried to send a PM to you earlier but it seems my profile settings don't allow me to so I am just going to change them now and then send you a PM.

Thank you both so much for your replies. Kind regards, Gill

Gill no it was your house in Redditch. He took us there but wouldnt bring us back that day and we had to phone a shop in Ford Street so they could go and tell our moms where we were. I really got in trouble when I got home though. Here is one of Zena

2 Ford Street2.JPG

Gill here is a photo of Ford Street. Where the car is on the left hand side just past there where there are some people, your nans house would have been where the young boy by the bike is. (No.2). I lived No.4.

Ford Street 1950.jpg

Hi Carolina, this is so weird because I have got the photo of Zena too. I think she is with my eldest sister Barbara (?) but you probably already know that! A few years ago I went to Australia and met up with Aunty Ruby and Zena, the first time I had seen them in probably 35 years or more but I recognised them instantly. Aunty Ruby was the image of Aunty Doris, and she still had her Birmingham accent! So you lived next door to my nan? You must have known all of my relatives then and my mom. Do you remember my eldest sister Barbara? She was born in Ford Street and I think she was 2 when they moved to Redditch. I wish I had discovered this forum before my mom died, she would have loved seeing all these old photos of Ford Street.

What was your moms name? (PM me this if you prefer), I will be speaking to Barbara later and I can't wait to tell her about you and Astonian.

Gill our name was Taylor so next door but one to your nan. I remember the two sons Billy and ?? I remember Ruby when she had Zena. It was lovely that they ended up in Australia after some years. I have one of Brenda Kavanagh with me outside the pawn shop. She was also your relation? carol_and_Brenda_Pawn_shop_ford_stexp.jpg

Attachments

• 2 Ford Street2.JPG
    2 Ford Street2.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 9
Hi, not sure if this thread is still going - just stumbled onto it - but I'm Gary, Brian's son - the Phelps clan is still going strong!

HI GARY
Its nice to know that the phelps family are going strong today and the reason i say that its because i am part of the tree of phelps
i am am your fathers cousin Alan and my mother was your fathers Aunty joyce from Aston and she was jelf
along with your late uncle barry whom worked and ran our family bussiness at aston cross along with your late grand mother
my aunty winn and regards your father i went to the same school as him and barry as my mom said many years ago
you will go with your cousins when kids i used to go down to there houise in ford street often at week ends
and there bonfires i have not seen your father in fifty years ago in person but i did see him about three years ago on u tube
singing a song about his father my uncle harry tell your father i am his cousin and i am Alan, and there is six of us in brothers and one elder sister
pauline whom suffered with fitts we used to live at five back of ninety two lichfield rd aston by thompsons up cromwell square
best wishes Astonian,,, Alan

Hi all, I well remember the Phelps brothers, I used to play table tennis with the younger one, Brian? this was at a youth club in I think Heaton St. I don't think I ever won though, Regards Ted J.

Hi eddyjayauk
our brian was red hot at it barry was even hotter i think it was our uncle harry whom got them going
into table tennis if i recall proper and in fact they came to our house in lichfield rd and our old man bought us
a table mat and four bats then we invited our neibours our play mates
the craddocks , and the sharps the gaskings and ray and terry jarratt for hours on end
best wishes alan,, astonian

Back