• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by dotlane

1. D

Lane - Charles

Master Brummie. You are right, unfortunately Leslie Charles Lane is not connected to my husband's grandfather. It is a certainty that our Charles died in the Boer War in 1900 of pneumonia. His wife was living in Summer Lane, Birmingham until her death in 1929. Nevertheless, I am grateful to...
  2. D

Lane - Charles

3. D

Lane - Charles

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my enquiry with regard to Charles Lane. Yes, Sospiri, the family were living at 66 New town Row in 1881 with two sons, John & Walter on the 1881 Census My husband's mother was married twice, both of her husbands' surnames were Lane. Her first husband was...
  4. D

Lane - Charles

I have been trying for a long time now to research a Charles Lane born circa 1855 who was married to a Susannah Altree. I have never been able to find a marriage certificate for this couple which, of course would have given the name of Charles' father. I do have a lot of information with regard...
  5. D

Birmingham boxers?

I remember seeing him up the Locarno (with Derek Dougan and others) back in the 60s. Don't know if he ever had an interest in a nightclub.
  6. D

Bell Family, St. James's Road, Handsworth

Thank you ladylinda - that opens up lots of questions for me to think about. dotlane
  7. D

Birmingham boxers?

RIP Johnny Prescott - passed away November 2012.
  8. D

Bell Family, St. James's Road, Handsworth

I believe my great grandparents and great uncle were living at 10 St. James's Road, Handsworth. In 1935,1940 and 1948 this family (according to burial records) were living there. I am not absolutely sure if they are my relatives. There surname was Bell and what I would like to know is when this...
  9. D

Bishop William James (1866)

Re: William James Bishop (1866) Emily Bishop lived at Maud Buildings until 1952 with various lodgers (her husband died in the 1930s). The Nortons that you have picked up are her daughter Elsie who married William Norton - for a time they were lodging with Emily. Frederick Walter Bishop was my...
  10. D

Re: William James Bishop (1866) Thanks for this very useful information. I have now checked the BMD and found the marriage of John T. Bishop to Alice E. Burton in 1915 and the birth of their son John E. Bishop in 1916, so it all fits. My grandmother Emily Bishop lived in Tudor Street, Winson...
  11. D

I am trying to find out what happened to my Gt Uncle William James Bishop born in 1866. It is known that in 1881 he was living with his parents Thomas and Lucy Bishop and siblings at 198 Bearwood Road, Harborne. In 1891 he is living with his widowed mother and siblings at Halberton Terrace...
  12. D

Norman Street Winson Green

I used to live in Carlisle Street, which led directly off Norman Street and well remember Mrs. Polly Beaman (although I didn't know her name was Polly) who kept the little shop. As a young girl I would go to the shop for my mother for various items. As you say, she was always very helpful -...
Back