• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Norman Street Winson Green

Weoley

knowlegable brummie
I can't find much on this street. What I really want is old photos. My Grandmother Laura Beaman grew up there. Her mother Polly Beaman had a little shop there, and was known for her charity to the poorest of the local children. Polly lived there from early 1900s to the fifties when she died. The only photo I have is a modern one and most of the street has gone.

Weoley,

I grew up in Wellington Street and the name Beaman rings a faint and distant bell - Ronnie Beaman springs to mind but I can't say as I can recall much more than the name. However, I will consult the oracle, my sister Kate, when I next see her. She has a photographic memory.

If I draw a blank and no one comes up with any further information here, you might try Ted Rudge's Winson Green website here: https://tinyurl.com/295uvv While there's no forum as such, I believe there's a facility for you to contact Ted and he'll post your enquiry.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Paul.

The name Snooks (sometimes spelled as Snookes) was common round there, too. That was my Gran's birth name (she was raised by her aunt Polly Beaman).

I can only find one half decent photo of Norman Street, and there's just a grass verge on it where their house stood.

I can't find much on this street. What I really want is old photos. My Grandmother Laura Beaman grew up there. Her mother Polly Beaman had a little shop there, and was known for her charity to the poorest of the local children. Polly lived there from early 1900s to the fifties when she died. The only photo I have is a modern one and most of the street has gone.

I used to live in Carlisle Street, which led directly off Norman Street and well remember Mrs. Polly Beaman (although I didn't know her name was Polly) who kept the little shop. As a young girl I would go to the shop for my mother for various items. As you say, she was always very helpful - people would have a 'slate' which they would pay off as and when they could.
I thought she was a lovely old lady and remember her telling me about her only son who was killed on armistice day at the end of the 1st World War. On the Absent Voters List for 1918 a Joseph Beeman is listed as living at 30 Norman Street - and I believe this was her son.
I also remember seeing your grandmother at the shop.
Although I was only very young I have a distinct recollection of Mrs. Beaman although, unfortunately, I don't have any photographs of Norman Street. However, if you go on the Winson Green and Brookfields site and go into the Winson Green Section 'Streets', under Carlisle Street you will find a photograph of the Cottage of Content Public House which was on the corner of Norman Street and Carlisle Street looking up Norman Street towards Winson Green Road.
I hope you find this useful.

hi dibbs
many thanks for that info;
i think weoly will be very pleased when she loggs on to that site
becasue her ant mrs bearman is mentioned by a fellow neibour and states she ws a lovely lady and of her mis fortune of a relative she lost but it also gave me names as wel
thanks a million dibbs you are a real star and good news for woly
have a great day best wishes astonion ;;;;

Just a link astonian, pleased it may be of help, but the real stars of the site are you and others who never fail to come up with wonderful information to help new posters.

Back