• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by davesd1

1. D

Barker and Allen

Hi Steve, I'd left B&A a couple of years before your time there, i see you mention Ron from the stores. I still remember the time he was telling me about when he painted his living room. He had done it in Magnolia, but his wife thought it looked a bit plain. He added an ingredient that darkened...
  2. D

who remembers fireball xl5

https://fanderson.org.uk/news/uk-fireball-xl5-on-talking-pictures-tv-from-3rd-june/
  3. D

Barker and Allen

750 Apartments and houses, the car park will be massive.
  4. D

Ansells brewery dispute 1980/81

Remember switching over to drinking bottled when the taps ran dry, then when the bottles ran out, went to the M&B pub down the road. A lot of past customers never went back to Ansells.
  5. D

Barker and Allen

Anyone know how the re-development of this site is going?
  6. D

Queens Head Meriden

I remember the White Swan, during the 60's my parents used to visit friends who lived opposite the pub. Also, they knew the couple who ran the corner shop on the same side just down the road, Harry and Pat Howard. If i remember correctly, wasn't their a cafe opposite the shop,going towards the...
  7. D

Barker and Allen

Don't recognise any of them, when was this taken? I left May '83, has Errol been in contact with you?
  8. D

Barker and Allen

Mick, apart from Errol and yourself, i recognise Kenny Barett fourth from left, and Mick O'Brian to Errol's left. Who were the rest?
  9. D

Ghost signs of Birmingham

No, they're visible behind the partly demolished wall.
  10. D

Ghost signs of Birmingham

What's being built on the Dudley Rd site, looks like reinforced concrete pillars behind the old sign?
  11. D

Barker and Allen

I spoke to Benny on here, he was saying that he worked in the garage with MCL. I remember Joe from the garage, he couldn't have had long to go when he died suddenly. Who can forget Trevor Davies who took over? We would play darts in the small office at the back, you must have joined in at one...
  12. D

Barker and Allen

I was trying to get over to Belfast to visit relations a little while back. My eldest Son worked for Flybe, so we were getting a discount there, then the Covid business, so it all bit the dust. What date are you talking about as i have the twins on 5th and my eldest on the 4th? It would be good...
  13. D

Barker and Allen

I think Pete married a girl called Lorraine who had a Moggy 1000. He started using it for work, and since we used to go the same way home we used to turn it into a bit of a race. One Saturday, we were approaching the fire station in town and Pete was in front. In order to keep his advantage, he...
  14. D

Barker and Allen

I think B & A had a director for redundancies, never known a place like it for meetings. I was told once that i may have to finish my apprenticeship at another firm in the Delta group. Brian O'Rourke was the shop steward as well, if i remember correctly, he asked to see my union card about two...
  15. D

Barker and Allen

Cliff Johnson not Morgan. Wasn't their a pipe fitter, Terry Thomas? Trying to think who else went to Central, do you remember Laurence Meade? I remember Dave Taylor who was a chargehand along with Pete Smith. Joe Smallwood rings a bell, but i can't picture him. I don't think Mick charges enough...
Back