• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by christopher short

1. C

Coffee Bars:

Does anyone recall the Pop Inn Coffee Bar just off Erdington High Street around the the mid 1960's. Opening scene of my first real romance.
  2. C

Kynoch Cycling Club

Chris, I joined Kynoch CC as a schoolboy, it was very near to where I lived. I was an enthusiastic cyclist and a wanabee Tommy Simpson, Barry Hoban, Rudi Altig or Antonio Maspes (?) on the track, but sadly my parents did not have the finances required for the kit needed. Uni came next and my...
  3. C

Kynoch Cycling Club

Re: Kynoch's or I.M.I Chris, A small correction to my first post. I was a member in the early 60's and the central band colours on the racing vest were yellow and blue.
  4. C

Kynoch Cycling Club

Re: Kynoch's or I.M.I Chris, I was a member in the late 60's. Club meetings every Thursday night in a nissen hut at the back of the Kynoch site. There was a club run usually every Sunday with stops at various hostelries and tea rooms for lunch and tea. (meet at Witton Island). Also there...
  5. C

Tame Road Witton

The first photo brought back memories of the 50/60's. Post office on the corner with Deykin Ave, run by Mr. and Mrs. Wragge. Hardware store, Mr. Tallis (later Mr.Jones). Fruit and Veg Mr.and Mrs. Goody. Barber Shop, Harold Weaver. There was also a Butcher and Newsagent.
  6. C

George Rd Baptist Church Erdington

Jennyann's brief mention of this church in her fascinating memories of Erdington, reminded me of the late 50' early 60's when I attended the church. As a young lad I joined a boys' club there called " The Jucos" which were a junior version of an older boys' club called "The Covenanters". Many...
  7. C

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

Browsing this thread, "School Playgrounds" took me back to Summer evenings in the playground of Deykin Avenue school. A crowd of us kids from Deykin, Brantley, Cheshire and Wyrley would turn up every evening to play cricket. We climbed over the low railings. Stumps painted on a wall, handed...
  8. C

Erdington

Do recall the youth club on Monday evenings held in the rooms over the Co-oP in the High St during the mid 60's ? Run by the local Labour Party I assume - not that us teenagers had any interest in politics, only the opposite sex and the record player.
  9. C

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

Roy, Old Paraffin Heaters, that rings a bell. The upright Valor with the blue flame could certainly warm up a room. My Father also had a small circular heater that he left under the car engine compartment overnight during the winter months. Mr Tallis was our ironmonger in Tame Rd (Witton). He...
  10. C

Witton Road

Many Thanks Mollie, Albert Road, it was (is) indeed.
  11. C

Witton Road

I returned to the UK a while ago and drove down Witton Road and I'm sorry, I was horrified. I recall walking from Brookvale Rd all the way to the library and back in the early evenings when it was dark when I was a lad. Wouldn't fancy it these days. No one seems to have mentioned Jardine's...
  12. C

The Blitz

I think that through all the damage and terrible loss of life a great deal of humour shone through it all. That's a reason why the British are British if you see what I mean. My Aunt and Uncle were bombed out of their home in Aston and came to live with my parents in Deykin Ave until they could...
  13. C

David Weaver wonders.

There was a Harold Weaver that owned a barber shop in Tame Road Witton during the 50/60's
  14. C

Restaurants In Birmingham 1960s

Thank you for re-siting the Kam Ling for me and the photos. Memory filing cabinet re-adjusted. I wonder could you help with this one. It advertised itself, I think as Persian (as was in the '60's). On the edge of the Bull Ring, on the left as the road went down into Digbeth. I took my first...
  15. C

Restaurants In Birmingham 1960s

Does anyone recall the Chinese restaurant called the "Kam Ling" that was in a basement opposite the Law Courts during the 1960's ?
Back