• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by carrumba

1. C

Smith James born 24 july 1908

Thanks for that! Confirms what I had tentatively added to our tree. :D
  2. C

Hi Kate, Thank you for replying - a pleasure to hear from a relative! We are descended through Alf's side but we are not in contact with him. I have made some progress with the line but need to nail things down with birth/marriage/ death certificates. My mother and father remember Ron and...
  3. C

Adams William

This thread came up at random as I am trying to find out the story of a wee medal I found in my back garden. Have incidentally been on this site before as my mother was born in Birmingham and have been tracing her family history. Anway, the medal is .925 silver, Birmingham assay office and the...
  4. C

The pitfalls of Genealogy

My family tree was open for all to see ona large, worldwide genealogy site until my great grandfather, who I knew died in Coventry, was suddenly adopted on someone's tree living in America somewhere. That irritated me so much (no replies to my polite messages!) that I made my tree private and...
  5. C

Well James did always say he wanted to retun to farming and, in fact, went out into the countryside to help with harvests. With that one little piece of info I have managed to trace back through the census' to a gloucestershire beginning. Family seems to have slowly worked up towards...
  6. C

Re: James Smith born 24 july 1908 Crikey! I think you have cracked it! Just missing the "e" of the end... superb! That was starting to drive me demented! There is only so ling you can scroll around Worcestershire on Google maps (when you don't know the area) without going insane! Cheers...
  7. C

Just managed to get hold of the death certificate of my G-Grandfather, James Smith, who died Warwick in 1981. His place of is given as something I cannot quite read!! It's stated as being in Hereford and Worcester and the place name *looks* like "Farmdebigg" or "Fardsbigg" or perhaps even...
  8. C

Air Defence Corps- Birmingham. (James Smith)

Thanks for the replies....yes, I had thought the Home Guard a possibility. I know from one story he definitely manned an AA Gun but no idea as to location of designation. I'll check out the Home Guard site. As to the Air Defence Corp I did wonder about that as well. Perhaps may be a...
  9. C

Air Defence Corps- Birmingham. (James Smith)

Hi all, My g-grandfather on my mother's father's side was in the Air Defence Corp during WW2, manning anti-aircraft guns. He survived the war but unfortunately I was only 6 when he died. My Uncle and I are trying to piece together whatever info we can about his army career but, with such a...
  10. C

Origins of the Brummie accent

As someone who has a right mix of ancestry I have always been fascinated by accents. My mother was born in Brum and my father in Ireland. I was born in Coventry and raised in Perth, Scotland. Go back a few generations on my Irish family side and there you find Jones' from Wales! To all my...
  11. C

Clark Ethel May - born circa 1911- married to James Smith, 1931

Thanks foe all the help here. :-) I have Alfred George Sidney Clark and Elsie Mabel Hall's marriage cert. now. Alfred G.S. Clark, aged 23, Bachelor, Stamper, 73 Aston Road - father Henry Clark who is/was a Boiler Fitter. Stamper I take as metal work as he is listed as a Metal Stamper in 1931...
  12. C

I agree... am totally hooked. Already have worldwide membership with ancestry but their recent changes (and my absence from my research) is taking some getting used to. Searches don't seem to link up or be as easy to segment as before. Most of my research has been Ireland (fathers side) and...
  13. C

Smith James- born Ab 1908. Marriage to Ethel Clark 26/12/1931, Erdington.

Hi all. Had some wonderful help on the Clark side so am now looking at the Smith side. James' father was listed as Reuben Smith who was a farmer. This is a bit of a tricky one really and I suspect I will have to nail down his most likely date of death to try and get the death cert and the...
  14. C

You must be psychic! Just ordered the marriage certificate ten minutes ago! :friendly_wink:
  15. C

Wow...some excellent help here - So glad I found this site :-) Just to clarify though, I am in the original Perth in Scotland...not the 2nd rate sunny one with all the sharks. LOL! Although given the snow today, I would trade it in an instant for the Oz version ;-) Am going to work through...
Back