• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smith James born 24 july 1908

carrumba

proper brummie kid
Just managed to get hold of the death certificate of my G-Grandfather, James Smith, who died Warwick in 1981.

His place of is given as something I cannot quite read!! It's stated as being in Hereford and Worcester and the place name *looks* like "Farmdebigg" or "Fardsbigg" or perhaps even "Yardsbigg". The more I look at it the more confused I get.n All I can say is that it definitely ends in "bigg".

His father was a Farmer named Reuben. Drawing a bit of a blank at the moment!

Any help appreciated! :excitement:

Re: James Smith born 24 july 1908

Tardebigge perhaps, thats in Worcestershire.

Colin

Tardebigge perhaps, thats in Worcestershire.

Colin

Crikey! I think you have cracked it! Just missing the "e" of the end... superb! That was starting to drive me demented! There is only so ling you can scroll around Worcestershire on Google maps (when you don't know the area) without going insane!

Cheers Colin, much appreciated :D

Tardebigge is between Redditch and Bromsgrove, quite a rural location near to Hewell Grange Prison for young offenders. We recently bought some gloucestershire old spot pigs from there. Lovely pork!!!! Anne

Well James did always say he wanted to retun to farming and, in fact, went out into the countryside to help with harvests. With that one little piece of info I have managed to trace back through the census' to a gloucestershire beginning. Family seems to have slowly worked up towards Birmingham throughout the industrial revolution.

Cheers! :)

Just managed to get hold of the death certificate of my G-Grandfather, James Smith, who died Warwick in 1981.

His place of is given as something I cannot quite read!! It's stated as being in Hereford and Worcester and the place name *looks* like "Farmdebigg" or "Fardsbigg" or perhaps even "Yardsbigg". The more I look at it the more confused I get.n All I can say is that it definitely ends in "bigg".

His father was a Farmer named Reuben. Drawing a bit of a blank at the moment!

Any help appreciated! :excitement:

Hi Carrumba,

I know its been a while since your last post. James Smith is also my Great Grandfather, Ron Smith (Ronald) is my grandad. Would you be on Alf's or Brian's side? (brothers of Ron) James was in the RAF, i too am finding it difficult to find his service details, however i have recently restored his WW2 medals, he has the 1935-1945 star, the WW2 medal, the Africa Star with a rose on the bar which could indicate he was working with the 1st or the 8th Army, he also has the Italy star, he spend quite a lot of time abroad during WW2. There was apparently a photo of him with Field Marshal Montgomery (8th Army??), however i have been told all photos were unfortunately destroyed in a loft leak up in Alf's loft. It was also known that he did a few stints as a rear gunner on the Lancaster Bombers, and also the anti Aircraft in Africa. I actually have a couple of pictures of James.

He, as you mentioned enjoyed growing his own veg, had pigs and chickens in his back yard. He also was an avid wearer of the flat cap, he had to buy a new winter cap and summer cap each year and would give his old hat to my mother (Debbie).
James had Alopecia, i was told, falling off a ladder was the cause of this.

James Married Ethel May Clark in 1931, her mum, i have been told used to mingle a lot with the west end theatrical stars, as was a very good singer. Ethel, was quite a funny great grandmother, she was well known to give us sloppy wet goodbye kisses. She was born jan 3rd 1911 and died on her birthday in 1997.

My Grandad would be over the moon to learn of new relatives!

I hope this paints a better picture for you.
All the best
Kate

Hi Kate,

Thank you for replying - a pleasure to hear from a relative!

We are descended through Alf's side but we are not in contact with him. I have made some progress with the line but need to nail things down with birth/marriage/ death certificates. My mother and father remember Ron and Debbie - I am lucky to remember James (Jim) and his tattoos and visiting him when I was very young.

The RAF career is a new one to us as we believed he was a Home Guard AA gunner in Birmingham but who knows how family stories change over time!

Would be great to swap emails and try and expand the family tree further.

Best wishes,

Chris.

In 1911 James Smith was living with his parents Reuben and Elizabeth Jane Smith, and his 8 siblings, at Rose Cottage, Lea End, Alvechurch, Worc.

Back