• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Brummie wench

1. B

Tile Cross Infants & Junior School Shiretone School

Hi, I remember you. My name was Yvonne Gower, I was in your year group in Mr Dargues class. I seem to remember you were in your Mum's class and had a younger brother.
  2. B

Chelmsley Wood Pubs

My sister lived by the Woodsman in a tower block, Birkbeck House, Geurnsey Drive back in 1974. She used to send me to the Woodsman with an empty pop bottle and they would top it up with sherry from a barrel. I was 13yrs old!!
  3. B

boogies nite club john bright stree 1980`s 1990`s

Yes spent many nights dancing in boogies early 1980's. Last song was Frank Sinatra New York New York.
  4. B

Anyone Remember Pagoda Park

I had my hen night in Pagoda Park back in 1985. It used to be Romeo & Juliettes before that. Nearby clubs were Lacarno and Millionaires.
  5. B

Bus routes (70s and 80s)

50 bus still going strong same route, terminates just past Maypole at Bells Lane Druids Heath estate. I have used 50 bus since 1985, prior to that lived on Chelmsley Wood East Birmingham. This was served by 97 route through Tile Cross, Stechford, Bordesley Green, Digbeth ending in Carrs Lane by M&S.
  6. B

Birmingham tower blocks 1950s/60s/70s still here today

Chelmsley Wood, huge estate built late 1960's.The town centre has been altered in recent years but Tower blocks remain unchanged.
  7. B

Birmingham Post & Mail

I used to work in this building from 1982 till 1986 for the law firm Pinsents. We occupied floors 2,9,11,12,13.Old papers were filed on 16th floor. I met my husband who also worked for Pinsents. The firm moved to Weslyn & General building after I left and are now on Colmore Row. Happy days.
  8. B

Shirestone School

Hi, your name rings a bell. Thanks for posting the photo, I recognise a few of the teachers. I also remember Christmas parties with jelly and ice cream.
  9. B

Kingshurst

Hi I was at Kingshurst Comp 1972-1977.Yvonne Gower, I was in Dean House. I remember Mr Sankey (English) Miss Lineham (RE) Miss Corbett (PE) Mr Bailey (science) Mr Bevan and Mr George.
  10. B

Tile Cross Infants & Junior School Shiretone School

Hi I Hi my name was Yvonne Gower at school, I attended Shirestone 1967-72, then I went to Kingshurst Comp. I remember most of the teachers you mention. Also Mrs Wyatt, Mr McGillie, Mrs Pittaway, Mrs Harris. I remember you, Neil Steadman, Phillip Mann, Colin Race, Steve Ashford. Susan Hewlett...
  11. B

Shirestone School

Hi my name is Yvonne Gower I attended Shirestone J&I from 1967 to 1972. I remember Mr. Penny (headmaster) Mrs Dare (deputy) Mrs Walker, Mr Dargue (played guitar lived in flats on Shirestone Rd. Mrs Wyatt (lovely teacher). Mrs Burr, Mr McGillie. Infant teachers Mrs Pittaway, Mrs Harris (shouted...
Back