• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by brianthelion

1. brianthelion

Clulee - Hampton Street

Thanks as ever. Nothing major i had just briefly wondered if it hadn't always been a pub. I presume B H on some maps refers to a beer house i.e. not a full spirit licence? Cheers.
  2. brianthelion

Clulee - Hampton Street

No it was the post #11 map I was referring to which has several PH but not where Hen and Chickens is which I thought was a strange thing.
  3. brianthelion

Clulee - Hampton Street

CONSTITUTION HILL 1. 5104 City Centre B19 Nos 27 and 29 (Hen and Chickens Public House) SP 0687 NE 25/7 II GV 2. Circa 1880 large corner public house with Italianate detailing relating to No 25. Tall 3 storeys yellow brick with ceramic, red brick and stone and terracotta dressings. Splayed...
  4. brianthelion

Clulee - Hampton Street

Yes I suspect same as the building is certainly quite old.
  5. brianthelion

Clulee - Hampton Street

Love the old maps from whatever era, especially as I live just up the road on Great Hampton St. As ever a good sprinkling of pubs, however if I’ve got it right the current Hen and Chickens at Constitution Hill/Henrietta St Junction isn’t marked as a pub. Any explanation? Cheers.
  6. brianthelion

76 Lions! Plantagenet Buildings Spencer St

Today’s favourites before the Sun got too much for me!
  7. brianthelion

Will check that out and do as you suggest. Many thanks.
  8. brianthelion

They will all be free!
  9. brianthelion

New toy! Point and shoot camera to help with compiling walking tour material. Lots to learn but plenty of time to do it! Jewellery Quarter Circus Tour coming when all this is over. Might even get a ringmasters costume for effect!
  10. brianthelion

Railway infrastructure and engineering development

On UKTV catch up free app.
  11. brianthelion

Spears factory in Great Hampton street

As I now live in the Quartz apartment block where the Empire building was I'd be interested in any history for this site. What was the pub opposite the Church. What was the Empire building. I believe there was also a bank on the corner of Hall St and Great Hampton St. Cheers.
  12. brianthelion

Recount! Upon closer inspection there are 78 Lions heads. 2 more for my stone zoo!
  13. brianthelion

Its fascinating to see the unusual plat it’s on and shows how every bit of land was developed for profit. Just like all the new apartment builds. Nowt changes!
  14. brianthelion

That's what my walks will be about. People rarely have time to look up. One will be on animals in JQ and other will be people and faces. It's amazing what there is on buildings. Cheers.