• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Bob Johnson

1. B

Rover Sd1

Start the book now. Always interesting to read of people's work lives.
  2. B

Smithfield Garage

Sorry, I don't. I remember a Tony and an Alan who were in the stores.
  3. B

Symbol on Ordnance Survey Maps

I knew the mystery had been resolved but I would still like to see the original question paper.
  4. B

Symbol on Ordnance Survey Maps

Is it possible that both you and your son have misinterpreted the information on the sheet? Is it possible to see a copy of the question paper?
  5. B

prescott st..all saints

What a fantastic set of pictures. Revived lots of memories for me. Thanks for showing them.
  6. B

Bread Vehicles

Thanks for that John. two interesting articles there. I didn't know that Garretts were involved in electric vehicle manufacture. Thanks once again.
  7. B

Bread Vehicles

Interesting vehicle. I think these were electric vehicles (battery driven). Were these vans made by the same company that made the battery driven 'dustcarts' that Birmingham used in the fifties. I like the colour scheme. I am too young to remember these being used. I presume this van was used by...
  8. B

prescott st..all saints

Yes. Start a new thread.
  9. B

LADYWOOD ROAD OFF MONUMENT ROAD

The first picture 'Security Scaffolds' I would suggest is Spring Hill. George st west is behind the photographer and Steward st can be seen at the end of the shops to the right.
  10. B

Motorcycle firm of Aston

Norton were in Bracebridge st, Aston.
  11. B

Is This Your Motor?

1963. Austin 1100. Hired from H. J. EVANS on Bristol St. Now, where have you been? I will send you my email address via the link.
  12. B

Is This Your Motor?

I still have my BSW tools that I bought in 1964 and the A/F tools I purchased in 1965 and the Metric set I purchased in 1966. Fortunately I own a few motorcycles from 1964 to 2017 so the tools still get used.
  13. B

French Walls, Smethwick

Yes Muntz st is named after him. Muntz metal was used to line the hulls of sailing ships. The Cutty Sark was lined with Muntz metal. If you visit the Cutty Sark in London, it is possible to walk underneath the ship to examine the Muntz metal. Muntz lived in Umberslade Hall.
  14. B

French Walls, Smethwick

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/French_Wall%27s This should tell you all you need to know. Enjoy Click on the link above and it will take you to Grace's Guide,
  15. B

Another old brum car dealer - any info?

I only knew of 'Hangers in that location who were Ford dealers. I worked at the Bristol Street Motors car storage depot which was in the 'Old Soap Work's at Foundry lane Smethwick/ Winson Green.