• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Betty Hopper

1. Betty Hopper

Generic address for hospitals

Hello Colin, Must apologise for my ignorance. The only time I heard the word generic was when the medication they gave me made me more ill than the complaint so was not sure just what the word means. Better get the dictionary out because using the word for addresses has confused me more. { mind...
  2. Betty Hopper

Hello Shortie, no wonder people have difficulties locating hospitals. Rubery Hill is nowhere near Kings Norton is it? Most frustrating ! Betty
  3. Betty Hopper

Hello Colin, There is of course Rubery Hill Hospital which is situated on the borders of Bromsgrove and Birmingham and could be difficult to locate.The usual reference of course is the asylum but not sure that is acceptable. We also have West Heath Hospital but how do you identify it? West...
  4. Betty Hopper

Selly Oak Bournbrook

Re: A few pictures of Selly Oak from an old Sunday Mercury nostalgia page from a book Hello Fella's I can place Harborne Lane, I used to go to the Labour Exchange { in the good old days } So I can remember Gibbins road and there was a Dance Studio in Reservoir road but I can't picture a park...
  5. Betty Hopper

Selly Oak Bournbrook

Re: A few pictures of Selly Oak from an old Sunday Mercury nostalgia page from a book Hello bernview , Thanks for posting these photos. I definitely remember the café on the bridge which I always thought looked awful and wondered how people could go in there to eat?? The photos of the park...
  6. Betty Hopper

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

So sad to hear what happened to Mavis. I have thought of her so many times over the years and wondered what she was doing. She desperately wanted a special evening gown for some gig they were doing and was having great difficulty in trying to get one. I remember it so well. It was very tight...
  7. Betty Hopper

Broadband??

Hello, Thanks for your help, You have saved me some pennies which is most appreciated these days. Betty
  8. Betty Hopper

Broadband??

Will someone please advise me on Broadband ? My server is AOL and I think they supply me with Broadband, but I keep getting literature on Broadband coming to Worcestershire shortly. Needless to say this has confused me utterly and completely !!!!! Does this mean I have to apply, and pay, for...
  9. Betty Hopper

The Non-famous Music Scene In Birmingham

Colin Willets also used to play at the West End Ballroom in Birmingham. Betty
  10. Betty Hopper

Pattisons restaurant and shops

Hello Chris, Sorry you had such a miserable time at Pattisons, But, even so it is still a bit of history. It was a very graphic description of the incident and I could just picture you sitting there.{ at least it stopped you from ever smoking !. Betty.
  11. Betty Hopper

Yardley Wood

This thread is driving me potty!!!!! There are so many bells ringing but I cannot pinpoint just where they are. I am suffering from severe frustration. Think I need a map???? Where would I find one please ?? Betty
  12. Betty Hopper

Thank you for all your memories. My Mom worked there for many years and when she came home she used to tell us about whoever the artiste had been that day.So, quite a happy memory for me. Jennyann, What a coincidence that it was once a Steiner Salon because Yvette, my daughter worked for...
  13. Betty Hopper

Airships over Birmingham ?

Thanks for that Wam, Most interesting. They must have been clever chaps to have worked all that out. I now feel much better towards the makers of them. I have always connected airships and zeppelins with baddies. Typical ignorance through lack of knowledge I suppose. Betty.
  14. Betty Hopper

Does anyone remember Pattisons in Corporation Street ?? They used to periodically have artistes performing there. I think Semprini the pianist played there and so did Stefan Grappeli. At the back of the building there was a narrow street and I think it was where the Birmingham Mail had some...
  15. Betty Hopper

Airships over Birmingham ?

Hello Dave, Many thanks for the information. I think I have a better idea of them now though I don't think I would want to travel in a balloon filled with helium. Did many of them explode?? I tried to read the link on DZIADECK of Colorado but it all went over my head. However my Grandson lives...
Back