• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Selly Oak Bournbrook

berniew

master brummie
Selly Oak around the Maypole Selly Oak park I think all the set of pics are from a book by Wendy Pearson Bournbrook and Selly Oak through the ages00selly-oak-around the maypole.jpg

Re: A few pictures of Selly Oak from an old Sunday Mercury nostalgia page from a book

00selly-oak-fire brigade.jpgSelly Oak Fire Brigade undated

Re: A few pictures of Selly Oak from an old Sunday Mercury nostalgia page from a book

00selly-oak-.jpgSelly Oak Bournbrook

selly-oak-gallery-and bournbrook.jpgSelly Oak café by the bridge I think

selly-oak-tram.jpgSelly Oak tram

selly-oak-high street.jpgSelly Oak Bristol Road

selly oak water fountain.jpgSelly Oak park drinking fountain I think

00old lodge selly oak park.jpgA couple of Selly Oak park not part of the set first the old lodge

00Selly_Oak_Park_Shelter.jpgThe park shelter Selly Oak Park

Hello bernview , Thanks for posting these photos. I definitely remember the café on the bridge which I always thought looked awful and
wondered how people could go in there to eat??
The photos of the park puzzled me though, where was the park?? I remember one called The Dell somewhere up Dawlish Road I think?
I solve one mystery and find another on this memory game.
Betty

Betty
It is off Harborne lane, to the left going towards Harborne

Between Gibbins Road and Reservoir Road and as Mike said Harborne Lane Betty

Hello Fella's
I can place Harborne Lane, I used to go to the Labour Exchange { in the good old days } So I can remember Gibbins road and there was a Dance Studio in Reservoir road but I can't picture a park anywhere around there.
Was it just the park gates on Harborne lane or could you see it was a park ??
The older I get the more I realise what a fantastic piece of equipment is our brain.
{ Had to have a head scan the other week and I was really pleased to know I have still got one !!!!! }
Betty.

Not familiar with Selly Oak Bernie but thank you for posting such lovely old photo's. Jean.:strawberry:

The main entrance is in Gibbins Road Betty I'm pretty sure there was an entrance in Harborne Lane and a path to Durley Dean -Alwold Road way . Yor welcome Jean

Hi Selly oak residents of tested years. Do any of you recall the big house building called the peoples hall oak tree lane Shelly oak
It also doubled as. The Shelly oak picture drone in 1911 I do have a picture of it Alan. Astonian

Berniew..................Your post #7 , the photograph looks to me like a water feature situated on the central road reservation in Weoley Hill, just off Witherford Way. This was removed just after WW2. Perhaps someone may confirm.
Post #4 was next to the canal bridge as you state and adjoining was a coal merchant's office.

Last edited:

Hi Anvil Man the photo's had no captions I just assumed the water feature and the maypole were in Selly Oak park because someone confirmed the maypole was , so you are very probably right

The fountain was in Weoley Hill, on the central reservation.

Great photo's Bernie Thanks for posting I recognized a few of the places from my time in the 50's.

Good pictures, I used to eat in that cafe most days when it was Jills cafe, I did the sign for her,it was before this photo was taken, round about early 70's.

Hi Selly oak residents of tested years. Do any of you recall the big house building called the peoples hall oak tree lane Shelly oak
It also doubled as. The Shelly oak picture drone in 1911 I do have a picture of it Alan. Astonian

We had our wedding reception at the 'Peoples Hall' in 1959.

Back