• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by B16girl

1. B

Cregoe Street

Only the front and possible entrance of St Thomas’ remains, my grandmother was married there before it was bombed
  2. B

22 Highfield Road, Edgbaston

Yes think it used to be the offices of a consulting Engineer ( can’t remember the name though,) I went to school down the road i think most of that bit of Edgbaston is a conservation area
  3. B

Horsefair Mosaic

I remember that subway I used to work on smallbrook Queensway and if ever I had to get to Bath Row used to look both ways then literally leg it through the subway, which always stank of wee. Thank god most of them are gone now in the city centre
  4. B

Symphony Hall

Yes my Dad was a Civil Engineer and the co he worked for did a lot of work on it. I can remember going round it pre opening feeling really proud, we all had to have those daft polythene overshoes on so we didn’t mark the new floors! And yes the acoustics are still brilliant: used to go to cbso...
  5. B

; Saint Nicolas Churchyard Kings Norton Bosward Family;

Hi yes the “old” cemetery in Kings Norton is at St Nicholas Church and OGS, subsequently a bigger cemetery was consecrated maybe around 2007/8 which is in the edge of the Primrose Estate.
  6. B

Central Fire Station Hq

I used to go into Fire HQ for meetings 2004-2007 I was always so in awe if the lovely marble floored entrance hall, think the staircases had brass handrails. The parquet floors were to die for and I think from memory there were memorials in the main hall entrance to fire personnel who lost their...
  7. B

Somme

I was told by someone who was ex army that if you didn’t join a local regiment it was either because you enlisted and got posted where there were in need of soldiers, or because some enlistees weee underage and it was easier to enlist with a non local regiment ?? Not sure if this is correct ?
  8. B

Cregoe Street

I could kiss you!,, thanks so much
  9. B

Cregoe Street

I posted this elsewhere but my mum said Dr Lawcett delivered her she was born in 1941 and the Dr went all the way out to Quinton to attend the birth as my grandparents had moved out there by then! ( wouldn’t happen nowadays, ha!)
  10. B

Cregoe Street

Wonder if anyone can help me, my Mum said the doctors on Cregoe street delivered her in 1941. My mum’s grandfather had a grocers on Cregoe street before the war (Howletts.) and my grandfather and grandmother lived in a house on Elvetham road. the house was bombed out in the war whilst my gran...
Back