• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by arley

1. arley

Ingleby Street, Ladywood

Hi Barry, sorry I’ve only just seen your post. I didn’t live on Inglebury Street but my Grandfather would have done. I’m doing my family history, that’s how I came across Inglebury Street.
  2. arley

Avery transport

I thought this photo May be of interest to some of our group. My Grandfather, Charles Osborne, worked at Avery before leaving for WW1. Shared, with permission, from Gabriel Duffy of the Stafford remembered group.
  3. arley

BENNETT, BYFIELD, WEST , CLARKE, HOLLAND, DAMMS

Thank you for reposting as I didn’t get your first reply. Arthur Edward Clark is not on my family tree as yet but I will contact you via this message board if he comes to light. Most of my Clarkes are with an ‘e’ but originally they were spelt Clark.
  4. arley

BENNETT, BYFIELD, WEST , CLARKE, HOLLAND, DAMMS

Hi, I do have Brummie Clark(e)s in my family. If you post more info, I will see if I can help.
  5. arley

Institution, Smethwick 1921 census.

Thank you for your help. The person I am interested in is number 51 on the page, as you say it’s a common name and there are two on the same page. Number 54 on the list is William Ife, that is the most unusual name I can find. Your help to identify the Monyhull Colony is important. On the...
  6. arley

All of the names were listed as inmates. The person I am researching is Elizabeth/Lizzie/Eliza Clarke, born 1886 Birmingham. The family lived in the Ladywood area for most of their lives.
  7. arley

Hello all, Searching for a relative on the 1921 census, I found someone who it may be. However, having paid my fee, it shows me one page of unrelated names. At the top of the page it says ‘Institution’, area Smethwick. Could anyone guess what this institution could have been? There were...
  8. arley

REMEMBRANCE DAY 2021/2022

How lovely. I’m so glad you have been able to do this for him. Rest in Peace Harry, you are remembered and loved.
  9. arley

Living with a pseudonym…..

No sadly, they chose a very common name in the Birmingham area. No one else in the family tree has this name, apart from their descendants.
  10. arley

I can add to your list - not marrying someone who’s using a pseudonym but claiming to be married on the census. Hey ho….
  11. arley

I registered the death of a maiden aunt. I didn’t know her exact place of birth but gave the general area which seemed to suffice. Luckily, no one will be researching our family in years to come, so I haven’t put a spoke in their research wheel.
  12. arley

Thank you Janice. I think I may have a female buried using a pseudonym but her ‘partner’ using his birth name. These things are sent to try us…..
  13. arley

Hello everyone, I have a very sensitive question. I will keep it pretty guarded as there may be decedents of the family who are alive today and may not be aware of the situation. My family research has a surname, a pseudonym and a maiden name. I can track all three names until the death of a...
  14. arley

REMEMBRANCE DAY 2021/2022

Remembering all who gave everything for us but especially my grandfather CHARLES OSBORNE who died of wounds in Mesopotamia 21 April 1916. Before he died he sent home three silk handkerchiefs one for his wife, one for his 18 month old daughter - my mother - and one for his 6 month old daughter...
  15. arley

Gaumont cinema

My uncle was the projectionist at the Gaumont. I was taken there to watch the trialing of a 3D film when I was about 10. Sitting there, wearing the special glasses provided, a plane came flying towards me. I shot down to the floor, behind the seat in front of me, missing the rest of the film...
Back