• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by arealpal

1. A

Romsley Hill Sanatorium

Re: Romsley Hall Sanatorium i have just found a photo of romsley sanatorium whilst sorting out some old photos of my mother in laws.
  2. A

Shard End Australian Flats

The terminus is now at chelmsley wood shopping centre, What was the lonnie donegan show called so we can all see it if its on you tube
  3. A

Yorkswood York’s Wood camp site Castle Bromwich

The 184th scout group still occupies the scout hut in yorkswood, I have managed to find one of the old leaders of the group a Dave Baxter if anyone remembers him he is still involved in scouting about 57 years now also a Jim Perkins who used to sing and run the campfire circle.
  4. A

Shard End Australian Flats

The pub was the two hands and has been gone about 12 months now. I can remember the flats as i worked on them several years ago for the council. They have been demolished for new houses to be built, I think they were demolished about 2 years ago. Can anyone remember the barber shop there in the...
  5. A

The Minories

Hi Everyone Does anybody know the name of the restaurant at the end of the minories about 50 years ago. It was the one were you went upstairs.
  6. A

Lewis's Department Store

The Minories Hi Everybody Does anyone know the name of the restaurant that was located at the end of the minories about 50 years ago.
  7. A

Bedding warehouse fire Stratford Road

i know there was a big fire at the factory at camp hill that was called Avery Guidex but that was in the late 80s
  8. A

Hi all Cromwell the photos you have of the scouts 30s and 40s are any of them taken at yorkswood if so can you email them or post them in the site. Alan
  9. A

Hi Aston I will try and find a date for you but i dont think it is a world jamboree as i have a list of all the world jamborees that have taken place it seems to be the crystal palace rally there were several of these that took place over several years. I will get back to you as son as i find...
  10. A

Hi All Just got back from a cub day which went very well based were the site used to be at the 229th, I understand there was a building called mckenzie but not sure about the other one and the only bailey bridge i know is on cole hall lane shard end but i dont know if there was one by the...
  11. A

Griffins/Gargoyles Shard End

thanks guys i know the griffins are at the old site and are still there as i am gathering information of the old campsite but i was told there were 12 griffins on lewiss and there are only six on the old site so i was looking for a photo of the griffins on lewiss formerly newburys so i...
  12. A

Griffins/Gargoyles Shard End

Hi all Would anybody have any photos of the lewis,s and newburys store in birmingham town centre with the gargoyles/griffins on the top cafe area.As the griffins / gargoyles were transported to the yorks wood camping grounds owned by the birmingham boy scouts association. alan
  13. A

Kynoch's I M I 1950s Onwards

There is still a company at the imi works called eley i have worked there in the last 10 years and they still make amunition for sporting rifles at the time i was a cheeky maintenance engineer working on there roofs and i asked if i could be taken around to look at the site. The manager on the...
  14. A

hi rob we have contacted the brewary and they have supplied us with a list of landlords and addresses but unfortunately people do move on but apparently one of the old barmaids work at the two hands now.
  15. A

Thanks Rob Did you drink in there as someone told me the interior of the pub had a load of scouting pictures and memorabilia scattered around the place do you know if this is true. alan
Back