• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Anthony Collins

1. A

James Baragwanath & Co

Hi Andrew. I am researching the Bowen family (my mother's line) and her uncle Thomas Oliver Bowen married May Baragwanath. I have researched the Baragwanath family a little bit if you are interested. Anthony Collins
  2. A

Skin Hospital

Does anyone know which building firms worked on hospital please? Thanks Anthony Collins
  3. A

James Baragwanath & Co

One of James Bagawanath's daughters named May married Thomas Oliver Bowen the son of John Bowen the builder. I do not know why she is not shown in Alberta's post of 9 Feb 2014. John Bowen & Sons built the Birmingham Victoria Law Courts and were a well known firm of builders 1870 -1963. See web...
  4. A

Mackie & Gladstone

Dear OC What a great photo of the steam wagon. Have you any objection if I use this please. I researching John Bowen the builders who built an extension in 1936 in the Dalton Place bottling plant. Thanks Anthony Collins
  5. A

Eliot Street School Nechells

Does anyone know if a history of Elliot Street School has been written or which firm built it? Anthony
  6. A

Perfecta Seamless Tube Works Plume Street Aston

Perfecta Seamless Tube Works. I am looking for any photographs of Plume Street Aston and in particular The Perfecta Seamless Tube Works in Plume Street built by John Bowen & Sons. Please contact me if you can help. Thanks - [email protected]
  7. A

Nazareth House

Thanks for getting back to me Jenny. I appreciate your help.Anthony
  8. A

Nazareth House

Thanks Mike. I have not been able to find it yet but Jenny Ann has posted an image with her reply. Appreciate your help. Anthony
  9. A

Nazareth House

Thanks Jenny Ann. Really appreciate this as I have never seen it before. Any idea when it was built? As you are aware the enlargement of this image is restricted. Is it possible to allow me to see enlarge it normally? Anthony
  10. A

Nazareth House

HI - Not being used to the Forum can you advise how I can see a photo of Nazareth House please? Does anyone know when it was built? I hoping that John Bowen and sons were the builders. It is possible as they built Hollymoor. Anthony Collins
  11. A

Nazareth House

Hi All - Can I join those of you who are looking for a photo of Nazareth House Convent and ask if I could see any photos please? I think it was built by John Bowen and Sons and am trying to collect evidence of buildings built by this firm. I would be most grateful for any help. I assume it was a...
  12. A

Manchester House

Have discovered that The Birmingham Advertiser of the 3rd April 1834 refers to Manchester House which was originally built in 1834 at 16 Bull Ring which was at the corner of Moor Street and the Bull Ring. It opened as a drapers’ on the 17 April 1834 but this was well before John Bowen arrived in...
  13. A

Manchester House

Thanks for this. I will see if the old maps show anything. Really appreciate your help. It must have been a substantial and well known building as it was mentioned in his obit along with Victoria Law Courts. Anthony
  14. A

Manchester House

Has anyone heard of a building named Manchester House (outragious of course to have a building named by that city in Birmingham!) It was built my great grandfather's firm John Bowen & Sons and was probably somewhere in the Birmingham City Centre. Possibly a Manchester Insurance Company or...
Back