• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by A Sparks

1. A Sparks

Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Tech School

Yes, I remember that! Like you, I got wise and removed mine too.
  2. A Sparks

Historical vintage clothing you still own

That's the sort of thing my Dad would have said!
  3. A Sparks

Historical vintage clothing you still own

Sadly not - I did have some clothes from Bus Stop once. What I do still have is my Brownie Uniform!
  4. A Sparks

Women’s Timber Corps “Lumber Jills”

My mother was in the Land Army and only wore a thick jumper, definitely no jacket or hat.
  5. A Sparks

Black Country Museum

Great pictures!
  6. A Sparks

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

There's going to be a musical! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-birmingham-60031728
  7. A Sparks

Peaky Blinders has made us cool

Brummies have always been cool :cool: it's only recently that other people have realised ;):blush:
  8. A Sparks

Kung fu film scene in Birmingham - Does anyone remember these?

No, I'm afraid not - I would have probably enjoyed it though, I like a bit of Kung Fu! I wonder if the showings at the Balsall Heath Road might have been for the benefit of the Chinese community, seeing as there is Chinese writing on the poster?
  9. A Sparks

ITS SOSPIRI'S ( MAURICE) BIRTHDAY TODAY

Happy Birthday! :grinning: Hope you're keeping well.
  10. A Sparks

NewStreet Birmingham

By chance, I have just found an actual photograph of Hyams in New Street, they were also in Oxford Street, London, Leeds and Wolverhampton. ....an advert here...
  11. A Sparks

Soho Road Handsworth

Sorry to hear about your friend.
  12. A Sparks

Tower blocks Perry Barr demolition.

I remember the tower block flats, there is another thread on Birchfield Road and I see that one of our members @Banjo once lived at 28 Birchfield Road - perhaps he can help?
  13. A Sparks

Home Guard Motor Patrol Boat Ladywood

I can't imagine they ever got to use those guns on the canal! I would guess, at most, the men would be more useful for fire watching, looking out for any incendiary devices falling at the back of factories.
  14. A Sparks

Birmingham Cinemas

The Electric Cinema is opening again on January 21st :) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-59936239
  15. A Sparks

Moving away but always a Brummie

I've lived in London for 23 years and agree with Brumrocks, you don't hear a West Midlands accent very often. I was sitting outside with a coffee at a local city farm not long ago and happened to ask a guy, who I assumed was staff, a question about what some people were doing. After he'd told...