• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is this 2007- 2008 queries

Status
Not open for further replies.
That ruddy great bus was obscuring the view.

Yes, they do get in the way, don't the...HEY! That 'ruddy great bus' was the reason for the photo in the first place!

moz-screenshot.jpg

One of my most treasured possessions is this R. Calvert painting (an original, not a print!) of tram 613. Do you know which terminus it is?

I really dont have a clue, but I'll have a guess until that tram moves out of the way.

Tinity Rd Aston?

Phil

Not Handsworth, Judy, but Michael is almost there with one of his guesses!
Big clue - look at the trees to the left, what could that be?

No pmc, this terminus was at not only a City but also a county boundary. The tram's in one county, the trees in another.

Way too wild, Cat...Wildcat..geddit? ...oh, never mind. No, not there. Over the road on the corner is a very old pub, by which the local area is known. The Corporation tramway was only built to connect with a private company line which was going to carry on well past the boundary, down a steep hill and into the small township at the bottom - but that was never built.

Lloyd, from your last hints I can only think your picture is meant to be at Hagley Road, Bearwood looking from the King's Head side. I'm not sure though whether it ever looked quite like that.
There was certainly a proposal to build a tramway along what was renamed Hagley Road West to Halesowen, but it didn't last long -- Midland Red's new petrol buses won the day.
Peter

Yes Peter, Hagley Road terminus.
I do believe it looked like that, before Beech Lane became Hagley Road West and before the post-war Bearwood Bus Station was built into Lightwoods Park grounds. Here's a photo of almost exactly the same spot to compare with the painting and one showing the Kings Head.
I grew up on Hagley Rd., between here and Sandon Rd, in the 50s and 60s and have always had an interest in the history of this area. There's a very good article on the Beech Lanes area of Bearwood on https://www.qlhs.org.uk/oracle/edward-airey/edward-airey.htm , including a photograph of the houses on Bearwood Rd which became shops quite early in their lives.
I do remember reading something about the 'Beech Lanes Extension Tramway' once, and got the feeling there was a financial scam involved somewhere? I was told the the depot was going to be at the junction of Hampton Court Rd and Earls Court Rd, at the far end of Balden Rd. The site was undeveloped until about the 1980s.

Well done Peter!

Lloyd, I really enjoyed the old photo of the Kings Head at Bearwood. I used to go past there every day on my way to and from work when I lived on Hagley Road West. Last time I was there it was looking very dilapidated but I think I read somewhere that it has been/or is going to be renovated, am I right?

I had heard it was, but I don't go that way now only very rarely. It was the first pub I went into as a hmmmteen year old, trying to get a drink, and until I went in I always thought it would be a posh place, but was amazed to see sawdust on the bare bar floor and a rat scurry across from one side to the other. We used to call the Talbot, on the corner of Barnsley Rd, "Dirty Bet's" and was amazed to see that name actually displayed on it a few years ago!
That was an untidy place too, and we got banned from the 'Dog' on Hagley Rd West for pouring beer into the piano! Well the beer was awful!
My regular drinking place waas for a time the Shireland, at the Portland Rd /Shireland Rd (Birmingham/Smethwick) boundary, My uncle Holly (christian names Edison Halford - they don't have names like that now, do they!) had a draper's shop almost opposite, and as a youngster I used to watch from his shop window the no7 buses turn and become 5As to go back to town and to Perry Common (wherever that was, I used to think!) and the West Bromwich single deckers on the 252 go the other way to 'The Cape' and beyond, into the dark Black Country.
I remember as a youngster hearing stories of ships making the hazardous passage round the 'Cape of Good Hope' and thinking - dangerous? I could get a bus to there from Uncle Holly's shop! How small the world is to young eyes!

Charlie - I thought I had heard, or even seen when driving past on my last visit to Brum, that it was going to be revamped. Thanks for letting me know.

Lloyd - I have never been inside the Kings Head, but it was always a focal point, both on my journeys to and from the town centre, and on going down Lordswood Road to Harborne, and maybe when I was in my teens and going to the Colliseum in Bearwood.

izabellanne,

I agree with Dave P it is Henley in Arden on market day.

Phil

I do too, but what do i know...Cat. I did have another thought Sheepscote lane. but, i bet i am wrong

Its Henley in Arden I used to Drink in a Pub opposite those Buildings every Friday with my mates with Philip Garston -Jones ( Jack Woolly of Archers Fame) In the early 60s
I believe Michael Elphick (Boon) owned a Pub The White Swan opposite, in later years it was also near where the Famous Henley Ice Cream is made.

Last edited:
Along that line of properties was a pub called, if I recall correctly, the 'Three tuns' or similar.

Think it was about 1966 our squad were engaged in enquiries into a case of murder on the mount in Henley.
At the end of the day we would retire to that pub for 'replenishment'
It was run by an elderly lady who we affectionately knew as Aunty Em.

It was a old world pub and became the whole murder squad's watering hole. Aunty Em would fuss around and we, as a group, led her to recall the Canadian bomber pilots, who in the second world war had used her pub similarly. She told me they would often fall asleep in the settees, that still adorned the one room, through fatigue and she would go to bed and let them sleep. They would be gone when she got up having let themselves out. She remembered the 'special ones', to her, that did not come back.
Have fond memories of that lady.

Oh yes, we got our man.
Will.

Now here's a real test for you Brum experts. Midland Red 3770 is seen parked somewhere in the city, blocking this long-gone little road - but what road is it??
Thanks to my friend Mike (who has now joined the site as motorman-mike ) for the picture.

No..... It is not Henly in Arden, but I admit it does look like it...
A bit of easy detective work will give you the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back