• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

Anyone wear a fringed suede waistcoat ? Both men and women wore them, very 1970s Woodstock. In fact regular waistcoats were also popular, the more decorated the better. Viv
Don't remember the fringes but all of my suites came with waistcoats, never wore them. In fact, none of the guys in my office wore them.

I have a couple , but never where a tie with them Richard, do you remember the 70's, massive shirt collars, about 4" long !!
I do remember them and had a few shirts but never a fan. They also came with horrible printed color strips. I was pleased to get rid of them!

in the 50s some one gave mom a crombie type overcoat my brother did not like it but i did it was rather big on me but never bothered me it made me look posh :grinning: i lived in that coat there was no lining left in the pockets they had ripped with carrying junk.
Remember the Crombies in the 1970s correct me but did they have a pocket to put a silk handkerchief in .

Ladies, remember all the Laura Ashley fashion ? Not only could you look like you'd stepped off a Welsh farm in very pretty clothes, you could paper your walls and stock your kitchen with utensils of all things 'country'. This was also accompanied by getting hold of second-hand clothes and pine furniture. Now it's called either 'vintage' or 'up-cyclclong'. I liked this phase of making home-made clothes and acquiring lace for trimming clothes and household furnishings. (Who had a box of trimmings ? Me !). I really embraced it making as much home-made stuff as possible. Still do but not to the earlier extent

Viv.

Clearing out the very back of some wardrobes I found a blue waterproof bag.
When my son was about 10years old(he is now 50) he cycle raced and I manned the finish line often in awful weather, I bought a multicolourd rainproof poncho in a blue case.
I don't know why I never noticed the maker but it was Mary Quant and I have found them selling on ebay.so I didn't bin it.
Not the most flattering thing I have ever worn.

Ladies, remember all the Laura Ashley fashion ? Not only could you look like you'd stepped off a Welsh farm in very pretty clothes, you could paper your walls and stock your kitchen with utensils of all things 'country'. This was also accompanied by getting hold of second-hand clothes and pine furniture. Now it's called either 'vintage' or 'up-cyclclong'. I liked this phase of making home-made clothes and acquiring lace for trimming clothes and household furnishings. (Who had a box of trimmings ? Me !). I really embraced it making as much home-made stuff as possible. Still do but not to the earlier extent

Viv.
My now wife made most of her clothes when we were dating, it seemed like she had something new all of the time. Now she makes quilts in her sewing studio which she loves to do. She had added to her UK bucket list The Birmingham Quilt Show. It is supposed to be the show of shows. I think we are planning for next year as long as my limbs hangs together.

Clearing out the very back of some wardrobes I found a blue waterproof bag.
When my son was about 10years old(he is now 50) he cycle raced and I manned the finish line often in awful weather, I bought a multicolourd rainproof poncho in a blue case.
I don't know why I never noticed the maker but it was Mary Quant and I have found them selling on ebay.so I didn't bin it.
Not the most flattering thing I have ever worn.
wow alberta i would hang onto that...its fashion history

lyn

I never understood why guys turned down their wellies Pete. Neither do I understand why, in the deepest of snow, they just wear trainers, that have cost them a bomb, to clear it away. Pride ????
it’s a thing that was often seen on building sites where the works wore wellies all day long. Turning the tops down stopped the top of the wellies rubbing and chaffing the back of your leg behind the knee.

Anyone have this cardi ? My mum was a keen knitter and she made this pattern for me but with a different background colour, it was a dusky green with black poodles. It was a very thick knit and on bonfire night I wore it to watch dad let off fireworks in the garden. One rocket went wild and I ended up showered with the sparks, one burning my hand and a couple burning through my treasured cardi. Pretty scary. I also had a soft toy poodle that used to sit on the back of our settee. Must have been going through that poodle fashion phase of the late 1950s/60s.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240120_124442_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240120_124442_Google.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 8
I watched a programme on PBS America this week titled "The War on Disco" that included the scene from the opening of "Saturday Night Fever", where John Travolta struts down the street with a can of paint and compares his shoes, with those in a shop window (see below). They reminded me of a pair of burgundy Italian shoes that I bought in New Street for far too much money in the late 70s, but I still remember them fondly. They didn't make me dance anything like JT though! :cool:

1705760805454.png

it’s a thing that was often seen on building sites where the works wore wellies all day long. Turning the tops down stopped the top of the wellies rubbing and chaffing the back of your leg behind the knee.
The rubbing and chaffing behind your knee was the reason for us, even in long pants. I am 6ft but my legs tend to be on the sho side so the wellies were always long side right at the knee!

I watched a programme on PBS America this week titled "The War on Disco" that included the scene from the opening of "Saturday Night Fever", where John Travolta struts down the street with a can of paint and compares his shoes, with those in a shop window (see below). They reminded me of a pair of burgundy Italian shoes that I bought in New Street for far too much money in the late 70s, but I still remember them fondly. They didn't make me dance anything like JT though! :cool:

View attachment 188307
Over the Christmas Holidays there was a new commercial for a credit card in the US (maybe Canada) with John Travolta dressed up as Santa dancing to Saturday Night Fever music, he’s still got the moves!

Being poor, !! and wanted so much to be a rocker , at the "Ace of Cards Cafe" , Bristol Road Selly Oak, the ton up boys would go there, much older than me of course, I would have been about 13/14, they wore leather jackets, with skulls and other signs and badges, painted on them, and blue jeans. Black flying boots, with white socks over the tops, real hero's to my young mind. Me with my plastic, leather looking jacket, with a devil rocket sticker on the back, white t shirt, blue jeans, and highly polished wellies with with tops turned down to look like white socks, thought I looked great. but probably looked naff. just about afford the 6d frothy coffee. Can't remember the year , but "Johnny Remember me " was always on the duke box, so about 61,ish. But I loved the atmosphere and the talk about biking., the music too.

Being poor, !! and wanted so much to be a rocker , at the "Ace of Cards Cafe" , Bristol Road Selly Oak, the ton up boys would go there, much older than me of course, I would have been about 13/14, they wore leather jackets, with skulls and other signs and badges, painted on them, and blue jeans. Black flying boots, with white socks over the tops, real hero's to my young mind. Me with my plastic, leather looking jacket, with a devil rocket sticker on the back, white t shirt, blue jeans, and highly polished wellies with with tops turned down to look like white socks, thought I looked great. but probably looked naff. just about afford the 6d frothy coffee. Can't remember the year , but "Johnny Remember me " was always on the duke box, so about 61,ish. But I loved the atmosphere and the talk about biking., the music too.
Paul, it’s always good to dream! I think many of us were in similar situations, very well said!

Back