• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Holidays : Holidays at home and days out

Good site for aerial photos

We're so lucky living here in South Wales, Brecon Beacons is a 20 min drive, Barry Island/Porthcawl about 40 mins and an hour to the Gower Peninsula :cool:

g7Hjx4C.jpg

Had a 2 day break at Bowness on Windermere. I thought it would be quiet at this time but the place was absolutely heaving with tourist`s. Also very expensive, there was no parking at our hotel so had to park in a long stay car park, it cost me £17.50 for a 3 day parking ticket ( only 3 or 7 day tickets available ) If you use your car & leave the car park chances are you won`t find a space when you come back (nightmare) Fish & chips £14, cappuccino £4, 50p to use the toilet (whatever happened to spend a penny ? ) So, the moral is, make sure your hotel has parking facilities !! Oh, & don`t forget your debit card otherwise you may not get served in the shops or cafe`s.

Had a 2 day break at Bowness on Windermere. I thought it would be quiet at this time but the place was absolutely heaving with tourist`s. Also very expensive, there was no parking at our hotel so had to park in a long stay car park, it cost me £17.50 for a 3 day parking ticket ( only 3 or 7 day tickets available ) If you use your car & leave the car park chances are you won`t find a space when you come back (nightmare) Fish & chips £14, cappuccino £4, 50p to use the toilet (whatever happened to spend a penny ? ) So, the moral is, make sure your hotel has parking facilities !! Oh, & don`t forget your debit card otherwise you may not get served in the shops or cafe`s.
yes smudge always best to check hotel parking facilities..my son wont go anywhere unless they have it although £17.50 for 3 days parking may sound a lot its pretty reasonable compared to multi story car parks or paying by the hour...as for £14 for fish and chips if that is for 2 people that is excellent value if it is for one person dont go there again..i have travelled all over the uk and eaten in many top fish and chips shops and never paid more than £15 for fish and chips twice..
lyn

should have gone to wales smudge lol
Order: Cod and chips - £6.80; mushy peas - £1; two scoops of icecream - £3.95
1622451041451.png

yes smudge always best to check hotel parking facilities..my son wont go anywhere unless they have it although £17.50 for 3 days parking may sound a lot its pretty reasonable compared to multi story car parks or paying by the hour...as for £14 for fish and chips if that is for 2 people that is excellent value if it is for one person dont go there again..i have travelled all over the uk and eaten in many top fish and chips shops and never paid more than £15 for fish and chips twice..
lyn
I knew there was no parking at the hotel, but it stated free parking within a 20 second walk but it didn`t state it was only for 2 cars & the chance of finding those spaces empty were nil. The fish & chips at £14.50 was for one person, so for two of us + 2 cappuccinos the bill was £37 & that daft wife of mine left a £2 tip. !! The Lakes are beautiful but expensive.:worried:

I knew there was no parking at the hotel, but it stated free parking within a 20 second walk but it didn`t state it was only for 2 cars & the chance of finding those spaces empty were nil. The fish & chips at £14.50 was for one person, so for two of us + 2 cappuccinos the bill was £37 & that daft wife of mine left a £2 tip. !! The Lakes are beautiful but expensive.:worried:
right i see smudge...if you ate in and i dont know if you did the prices for 2 dinners plus drinks would cost more but having said that £37 does sound a tad expensive to me i was basing my last post that you had taken fish and chips out...glad you enjoyed the lakes though..nice spot

lyn

Smudger,

Our village taverna charged us a total of 37 euros for a meal for four including starters, large main meals, large side dish of cougettes with cheese, an extra plate of chips, a plate of cheese pies, and a variety of fruit and ice creams, a bottle of beer, half a litre of good wine, and a litre bottle of spring water. Very good it was too, as usual.

Restaurants near the beach are more expensive and the food is no better if as good. We're about 15 minutes drive from the beach. What you save by not eating in the tourist areas will nigh on pay for your car hire, and you see a lot more of the island away from the hordes of Genghis Khan. Even taking a taxi each way from the beach area in on 30 euros return.

Maurice :cool:

Smudger,

Our village taverna charged us a total of 37 euros for a meal for four including starters, large main meals, large side dish of cougettes with cheese, an extra plate of chips, a plate of cheese pies, and a variety of fruit and ice creams, a bottle of beer, half a litre of good wine, and a litre bottle of spring water. Very good it was too, as usual.

Restaurants near the beach are more expensive and the food is no better if as good. We're about 15 minutes drive from the beach. What you save by not eating in the tourist areas will nigh on pay for your car hire, and you see a lot more of the island away from the hordes of Genghis Khan. Even taking a taxi each way from the beach area in on 30 euros return.

Maurice :cool:
Maurice, I loved holidaying in Greece, I have been to quite a few islands & like you say, the food was always good & fairly priced. Sadly can`t go abroad anymore due to my wife`s poor health. I`ll be getting stick from the mods for going off topic so i had better add that i`m going to Bridlington in June & Napton on hill in July. I`ve put my order in for endless sunshine !!

Maurice, I loved holidaying in Greece, I have been to quite a few islands & like you say, the food was always good & fairly priced. Sadly can`t go abroad anymore due to my wife`s poor health. I`ll be getting stick from the mods for going off topic so i had better add that i`m going to Bridlington in June & Napton on hill in July. I`ve put my order in for endless sunshine !!

Passed Napton Reservoir, just North of Napton on the Hill, on the longest day of 2001.

Approaching a bridge between the reservoirs we saw two terns on the footbridge. Just as I got the camera out they flew off, but looking back we saw them return to their spot.

.487F0C14-7603-4917-8EFD-882C76FDF231.jpeg

we used to meet up at kingshurst and go to stourport Riverside Cafe on our motor bikes have a cupa when we arived and then spend the weekend in the caves.

we used to meet up at kingshurst and go to stourport Riverside Cafe on our motor bikes have a cupa when we arived and then spend the weekend in the caves.
We once had a caravan at Stourport when out twins were ten and we all loved it. Bumped into Amy Turtle off Crossroads once as she had a van on another site there. Pete used to do night fishing there and I would take him his breakfast sandwiches and a fresh flask of coffee. Happy days.

We had a family car around 1962 so during the summer Sunday meant day trips including Stourport. Coughton Court, Warwick & Kenilworth Castles, Worcester were all close to home. Sometimes we'd set off at the crack of dawn and head up to Rhyl Beach or Snowdonia. Picnic packed, Primus Stove for making a brew or bacon sandwiches; dad taught me how to light a Primus when I was seven or eight...happy days.

20 for brewing purposes. How many cups of tea do you drink:eek:
and how many stoves did you have once?

20 for brewing purposes. How many cups of tea do you drink:eek:
and how many stoves did you have once?
I'm quite a well know stove collector, yes people collect old classic stoves the way some people collect classic cars. I was an active four season hiker/camper and bushcrafter but sadly lung problems have stopped all that. At one point I had 232 stoves in my collection

Blast from my past past

I have to admit to loving those old stoves and paraffin blowlamps too. They worked remarkably well once you had the knack of lighting them. I still like brewing tea or coffee outside on a stove, far better than anything you can buy in most cafes.

Back