• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lewis's Department Store

That 39/6d price took my eye too. What a bargain, although that 1950 price would be pretty steep back then and about £79 today due to inflation. I doubt you would be able to pick one up today for anything like that sort of money though.
View attachment 177367
No you are spot on they can fetch from a couple of hundred pound onwards as people have fond memories of them. Had a triang pedal car .Seems most pedal cars and bikes were all made by Triang . I think they ought to make pedal cars like that for adults or should i say for adults that have not grown up . Great photo.

No you are spot on they can fetch from a couple of hundred pound onwards as people have fond memories of them. Had a triang pedal car .Seems most pedal cars and bikes were all made by Triang . I think they ought to make pedal cars like that for adults or should i say for adults that have not grown up . Great photo.
Love to look at the prices that pedal car was just short of two quid. Happy times.
Just to add although Lewis,s Department stores were in other cities its memories hold a special place in us Brummies hearts.

You're right 'Oldmohawk.' You can't imagine anyone would develop the same affinity for Lidl or Asda that Lewis's customers had with the Store. A lot of people have mentioned the lifts and lift drivers. As was mentioned, some were disabled and a lot were ex servicemen. This was a deliberate policy of Lewis's, at a time when it was not a legal requirement to do so, to offer employment to such groups where they could both manage the job and earn a sensible wage. Most Commissionaires and Lift Drivers came from these groups and care was taken to move them around and interchange them to give them variety. Strangely enough though, very often lift drivers didn't want a change and they nearly always wanted to drive the same lift because they had a 'feel' for the control handle which enabled them to 'level' the lift cage accurately. Sometimes. if you saw a lift stationary with its light out, the lift driver had taken a quick comfort break and taken the 'handle' with him to stop anyone else driving it. This is why the same drivers were seen in the same lift so often and had a first name relationship with the customers.
At the time I was at Birmingham, there were over 1500 regular staff (with many temps for sales and peak trading periods) and these staff were engaged in around 70 trades all with their own unions, working practices and structures. I doubt if you would find any one of them now, who would have anything other than fond memories of Lewis's. Thanks for sharing yours.
Frank Smith
Hi I have this ‘Ranella only at Lewis’s simulated pearls, sterling silver snap’ and wondered if you could tell me any more about it.

From what I have been told this necklace is amethyst, Pearl and coral but I would like some more information

Attachments

• E3E6BEA2-1441-4F0D-B4DA-E7CC7832D0D7.jpeg
    E3E6BEA2-1441-4F0D-B4DA-E7CC7832D0D7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Hi OldMohawk,
Good to hear Lewis's goods are still going strong. I suspect that there are many more people still using Lewis's branded goods than anyone realizes. The original brand name was 'Standex' and almost everyone received a set of fine 'Standex' sheets or towels when they got married or a really good gift was a 'Standex' Sheffield made Cutlery cabinet. I think a lot of the tools were also Sheffield made 'Standex' branded and, like your saw, lasted forever. The Company rebranded late 60's early 70's mainly to create a fashion brand that by then was big business. It was 'Ranella' based on Ranelagh Street in Liverpool where the first Lewis's was built. It never achieved the same status of the 'Standex' Brand and in retrospect was an unnecessary, expensive exercise. At the time of re-branding the 'Miss Selfridge' young fashion brand was created with Boutiques in each store. This was a much more successful brand, as were the boutiques, with the youngster. On Saturdays Birmingham 'Miss Selfridge' was packed to capacity and sales were enormous.
Frank Smith
Hi I have this ‘Ranella only at Lewis’s simulated pearls, sterling silver snap’ and wondered if you could tell me any more about it.

From what I have been told this necklace is amethyst, Pearl and coral but I would like some more information

Attachments

• D6FF6313-65BA-4C25-A98D-7CF11B551325.jpeg
    D6FF6313-65BA-4C25-A98D-7CF11B551325.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

I can visualise the jewellery department, where I bought a pair of Corocraft clip-on ear rings.

I have had a look online and have found Ranella china and some items of clothing, but no jewellery. There is stuff on eBay.

Last edited:
First time I had my ears pierced was at Lewis's. Cost £5 for piercing and 9ct gold studs around mid-1970s. Thought it was in the basement near the subway entrance from Old Square and the mural. But could be wrong. And/or it might simply have been where piercings were done and the jewellery department was elsewhere.

For someone to do piercings now they have to have a certificate. But then it was a matter of turn up, a quick wipe with antiseptic and bang. Now they make you sign a form, give instructions about keeping them clean for 6-8 weeks and give you a bottle of cleanser. Cost me £35 when I got mine re-pierced a few weeks ago. Viv.

Last edited:
Do you remember the lady who plsyed the piano?Not sure which floor it was,all the latest hits from sheet music.I would listen,enthralled while she played for a while,then half time and I expect she went away for a cup of tea(or maybe a G and T ) !!
It was very difficult to keep away from the 5th floor--the TOY FLOOR. Especially at Christmas.There seemed to be every sort of toy you could imagine,many being demonstrated even sometimes,a model plane flying around.
If these events were still going,I'd still be there to see them.
Second childhood? I never left the first !
Tojo.

First time I had my ears pierced was at Lewis's. Cost £5 for piercing and 9ct gold studs around mid-1970s. Thought it was in the basement near the subway entrance from Old Square and the mural. But could be wrong. And/or it might simply have been where piercings were done and the jewellery department was elsewhere.

For someone to do piercings now they have to have a certificate. But then it was a matter of turn up, a quick wipe with antiseptic and bang. Now they make you sign a form, give instructions about keeping them clean for 6-8 weeks and give you a bottle of cleanser. Cost me £35 when I got mine re-pierced a few weeks ago. Viv.
And that is what they call progress!

While cars seem to have got smoother with no extra outer adornments (spirit of ecstasy, chrome linings of windows, fancy headlamps), humans (male & female) are going more for additions mainly pierings (ears, chin, nose ,tongue or whatever :eek:.
But we are getting off topic. I will give myself a slap:blush:

I worked at Lewis,s back in the sixties as a Saturday job. I started there in the food hall, but ended up driving a lift. I really can’t remember how I got the job. I was the only part timer on the lifts. It was a good place to work.

Thank you all for these happy memories. I also used to queue with my mum to see Santa. I remember my mum chatting to other mums as we edged our way up the stairs, floor by floor. I think we all must have had a little more patience back in the fifties and early sixties! I seem to remember that the presents came wrapped in tissue paper- pink for girls and dark blue for boys. I suppose that would be unacceptable today.
I also remember clutching my mum’s hand as we made our way back down Corporation Street, listening to the roosting starlings and hoping I’d get a baked potato before we got on the 45 bus.
I remember queuing with mom to see Santa. Do you also remember, on the stairs while waiting going up, seeing 'Uncle Holly' there too? Since moving away from Brum I've not known anyone anywhere who remembers 'Uncle Holly' so wonder if he was just in Brum or even only in Lewis's, Brum?

I remember queuing with mom to see Santa. Do you also remember, on the stairs while waiting going up, seeing 'Uncle Holly' there too? Since moving away from Brum I've not known anyone anywhere who remembers 'Uncle Holly' so wonder if he was just in Brum or even only in Lewis's, Brum?
Hi TommoCo,

Found this link and old British Pathe short film of Uncle Holly arriving at Selfridges in London, is shows Uncle Holly was not uni to Birmingha, but I will always believe he was.

https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/194712/
Source : https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/194712/ accessed 11/4/2023 @ 16.00 hrs

Hi TommoCo,

Found this link and old British Pathe short film of Uncle Holly arriving at Selfridges in London, is shows Uncle Holly was not uni to Birmingha, but I will always believe he was.

https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/194712/
Source : https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/194712/ accessed 11/4/2023 @ 16.00 hrs
Hello Covroad,
that clip was wonderful, thank you. I thought I would never be able to say for sure that Uncle Holly existed, let alone see him again! .....and I too still believe he was only in Brum at Lewis's at Christmas...

Given Lewis's history of exhibitions inside the store, I expect they put on a display for the Jamboree too. Although I've not seen anything, I just imagine Lewis's wouldn't pass up an opportunity like that especially as it was an event involving many nationalities. Viv.

I have moved specific comments about the 1957 Scout Jamboree to the Boy Scout etc thread - link below. Thank you all for your comments. Viv

A Lewis's rooftop display. Viv
View attachment 182921
Source: British Newspaper Archive
I found some information about the production on the website theatricalia.com. It was a touring production, and the acrobatic trio was Helen Howell, Harger and Mario Naldi. The dancers were Mr Wylie's chorus girls.

Here Comes the Bride​

The lead role of Robert Sinclair was taken over almost immediately by Edmund Gwenn, with Pip Powell given a new role (Judge Al Phillips) that hadn’t been listed at Blackpool.
Nita Croft was credited at Blackpool with a second character, ‘Flower Girl’. Eddie Jaye was initially credited with both Hawkins and ‘Registrar’, before the roles were split and Martin Sands was cast as Hawkins. When the London run moved to the Lyceum, the roles were put together again and Jaye resumed playing both.
20-year-old Anita Foy Tipping (stage name: Nita Foy) was in the chorus of this show, and in March 1930 was also cast in the film SPANISH EYES, which was shot at night at Twickenham Studios. Having performed in HERE COMES THE BRIDE the previous evening, she was in a Twickenham dressing room shortly after midnight on 1st April when her tulle crinoline came into contact with an unprotected radiator. She was consumed in flame and died at the Royal Hospital, Richmond at 11.30am. (See ‘Burned to Death’, Daily Mirror 2nd April 1930, page 1 / ‘Crinoline Drama’, same issue, page 2.)

Back