• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

Next you can see the window frames have gone on some flats and the arm of a crane is on the right hand side of the photo and there is someone in the bus shelter. Now this looks like a dual carriagway so this could be Ladywood Middleway, Street view has crossing lights and bus shelter around 219 is this the same location?
20230118203008_08.jpg

Finally I have three picture from St Andrews home of Birmingham City 29th May 1995 and again show redevelopment of a football ground. I am not sure of the layout of this ground but a look at the next picture shows we are the opposite end to the railway overlooking the city.

20230118203352_10.jpg

I've just been reading a Birmingham Mail online bulletin that says all is not well at the Peace Garden due to rotting away with Graffiti , Litter, Faeces , all believed to be human plaguing the site . What is the matter with people ??

Last edited:
Next we have a rather vague description of Chester Road Castle Vale for the following pictures - this one is on the approach to Spitfire island although now there are not so many high rise buildings.

View attachment 179347
The block of flats in the photo must have been on Tangmere Drive, the first of a long row of blocks on Tangmere Drive. Just looked on Streetview and so many of those blocks seem have vanished in favour of low-rise housing, Can't say I'm surprised given the problems they created, not just on Castle Vale, but in general. Used to get the #64 bus up Tangmere to the terminus/shops when the estate was still relatively new. Thought it was a very open and airy place to live, right on the border of the countryside, easy access to nice walks along the canal, lovely in winter. Stop off at several pubs along the way, Suppose that's all changed now.

There was no Spitfire Island or 'Spitfire' sculpture in the days I used to visit. But I remember the British Leyland factory nearby on Chester Road. My dad told me about making the planes there and wheeling them across Chester Road to the airfield which later became Castle Vale. Viv

Last edited:
The structure alongside the chimney (left side) looks partially demolished or derelict. Was it a mill or brewery ? Viv

Finally on this roll are two shot labeled Broad Street / Sheepcote Street as this area is now almost unrecognisable I can only agree but the actual position of the photographs I am unsure of but we have the blocks of flats and the PO Tower for reference.

View attachment 179401
Steve I'm almost certain those are the blocks of flats behind the Hall of Memory there was actually four , Cambridge Tower being the first M=my mate lived in Cambridge in the late 60's till he got married and moved away . Although it was council housing he was almost at penthouse level on the fourteenth floor the girls loved it it I'm told .

Last edited:
Dionysius I agree. The view below of the towers is from Cambridge Street. One tower has the telecomms equipment on top. I think the B&W photo was taken behind the ICC (thereby obscuring the PO Tower), somewhere near the Malt House. But it's difficult to get at the exact position for a proper view due to building development. Viv

Screenshot_20230410_071801_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I thought I saw the birth of the Malt house in that photo, but could not work out where on earth the road was

Back