• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clifford Street

Hello Irene
My wife Diane has had a "mooch"amongst her mom & dads old photo's & this is what she has found,she seems to think that the first photo,the one with the cars is in Lozells but may not be Clifford St but she thinks it was all to do with the Coronation of King George VI,image0-005.jpgimg045.jpgimage0-004.jpg

smashing photos again brian you are so lucky to have them and thank you again for sharing them with us..what a great bit of history...

lyn

Astoness,
I was born in a back house in Great Brook St but I haven't found any old photo's of that street on this site,I assume that area of Birmingham has all been redeveloped !!
Brian

Hi I am the brother in law of the old plumber, my sister is Diane. You asked if she knew the Lagoe family in Clifford street.
I know they had friends Arthur and Violet Larigo who had a son Lee I think. Would this be the same family

Astoness,
I was born in a back house in Great Brook St but I haven't found any old photo's of that street on this site,I assume that area of Birmingham has all been redeveloped !!
Brian
hi brian just catching up on this thread.. i am going to see if i may have any photos of gt brook st for you...will let you know if i have

lyn

I have two from Shoothill....One with Winsor Street , and one of the Barracks

Attachments

• download (24).jpg
    download (24).jpg
    216 KB · Views: 11
  • download (23).jpg
    download (23).jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 11
thanks john just looked and i have quite a few old pics of gt brook st...bit late now but as soon as i can i will set up a new thread and post them on that

lyn

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone can help with anything really. I've just started tracing my family tree in my father's side and have so far found
My grandmother Irene Evetts on a Electrol Register from 1945. She lived at No4 Defford place. I'm guessing she would have lived there with my Grandfather Stanley and had three children Keith, Patricia and Derek (my dad born 1946). I know Stanley died in 1946 he was only 22 & and she would have 23.

Really hoping I can find anything. Thanks

Really hoping I can find anything. Thanks

What info are you looking for? People who knew your family, lost relatives or help tracing further back?

Irene is listed at no.9 Defford Place in 1945. Stanley is listed on the service register - 4 Carlton Avenue, the address of Irene's parents.

She continued to live no. 9 Defford Place after she re-married Walter G Chambers. Patricia being their daughter.

Last edited:
Hi all - totally new to all this - i am looking for a wonderful picture that used to be on this site until it was hacked a few years ago - it was of a corner newsagents on Clifford Street (Stans, I think it was called) - i remember it well as my father used to send me as a child to fetch 5 park drive (wrapped) and a seven o clock blade, usually of a sunday morning before he went to his pub (The Bell Inn) which I think was in Wheeler St. (I always remember the back gate/stepover). We lived at 162 Clifford ST over the road from the schools - I attended the infants and junior school until we moved in October 1967. I remember cold winters - outside toilets- frozen toothbrushes - coal houses and tin baths ! I am 63 soon but would like to try and trace this picture as it was the nearest i could find to "our house". We were one of the later ones to be rehoused due to regeneration and I can remember the houses being literally knocked down around us as they were vacated !

Do you remember which street corner it was on?
Hi Mikejee thanks for reply - all i remember was we came out of the house and walked a few yards right ( towards Aston direction as we were about three houses from the end) being showed across one road/corner (could have been Lozells St ) and the newsagent was on the next corner (my side same side of road) it was,nt far (basically one block) and my dad or one of my sisters would wait for me as I would always be in line of sight ! The picture concerned highlighted the round sign outside the shop on the pavement which was a common sight in the 60,s 1

Hopefully I have got your walk right, and the map below shows your house in blue and what I think must be the newsagent in red, which is at 103 Berners St

1950-map showing 162 Clifford St.jpg

That done, I have found your photo. Have darkened the original slightly to give a better picture

stans shop berners stA.jpg

This photo , if it is labeled correctly, may be even nearer home, though I do not know the date, It is labeled as 175- 195 Lozells St, which would put your house just round the corner to the right

Lozells%20St_nos 175 to 195.jpg

An aerial view of Clifford Street from 1950 which shows the rear of No. 162 although not very good resolution unfortunately.

Attachments

• clifford-st-aerial-1950.jpg
    clifford-st-aerial-1950.jpg
    612.6 KB · Views: 8
Mikejee - the map and photo are completely accurate - thanks very much-we only lived in Clifford Street for about four years but somehow i always remember it - that house was so cold in the winter ! As an aside a couple of weeks after we moved out in 1967 my brother-in-law took myself and my elder sister back to have a look - our house and all surrounding roads were totally flattened but the only thing standing was our kitchen sidewalls (partly demolished) and the full kitchen backwall with my fourteen year old sisters poster of the Monkees on it - an image that has stuck with me for fifty five years ! Once again thanks for the photo and map !

What info are you looking for? People who knew your family, lost relatives or help tracing further back?

Irene is listed at no.9 Defford Place in 1945. Stanley is listed on the service register - 4 Carlton Avenue, the address of Irene's parents.

She continued to live no. 9 Defford Place after she re-married Walter G Chambers. Patricia being their daughter.
Thank you so much for this information. I only started looking after a chance conversation with a friend. So the only information I can find is from my trial period at ancestry .

When you say service register, do you mean in the armed forces. I vaguely remember being told that Stanley may have been in the Merchant Navy, but I didn't know where to start looking into that. X

Are Irene's parents William and Lily Neville, those are names I came across today, at an address my uncle (Keith) lived at

Sorry for all the questions. Before Thursday the only thing I knew about my dad's side of the family was that both his parents died before I was born and his dad passed away in a motorcycle accident when my dad was a baby

To keep things tidy I've started a new thread here...

...if you have questions just ask.

Virtually no resemblance today with the 1918 photo of the junction of Clifford Street with Wheeler Street. Viv.

CE59D321-B941-410A-89F1-7F693C7AACB9.jpeg4CBA96BC-4B8E-4997-AE88-EFB5B3BDC199.jpeg

It was on eBay, Brummie-lad. I can’t match it up with your photos either. Can’t get my bearings on this one. Viv.

Thanks brummylad. Yes the old photo is looking directly ahead into Clifford Street. Viv.

Aerial photo from 1950, the property in the centre with the sloping roof is the one seen on the left of the 1918 photo.

Attachments

• clifford-st-wheeler-st-junction-aerial-1950.jpg
    clifford-st-wheeler-st-junction-aerial-1950.jpg
    526.1 KB · Views: 7
thanks john just looked and i have quite a few old pics of gt brook st...bit late now but as soon as i can i will set up a new thread and post them on that

lyn
Hi I was just wondering if you ever got around to posting these photos?

My grandmother grew up here in the 40’s I believe and would love to see some photos of the area, she soon moved to Stafford as a teen and that’s where we as a family have been ever since so I never got to see where she grew up unfortunately

I’ve also tried to do some research into her family and I’ve not found a great deal unfortunately ,
Their last name was Killingsworth I believe her parents were called Hilda and charles but I believe he often went by Francis his middle name if anyone knows anything at all in regards to that I would be eternally great full

Many thanks
Nakisha,

Back