• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

Did not realise you could now get WhatsApp on laptop without complicated manipulation which did not work well. Thank you for that information

Touch wood (touches head) W11 has been pretty much plug and play. I use Whatsapp, teams and zoom and had no issues to date apart from my phone ringing at 05:30 for a whatsapp vid call from my nine year old granddaughter who'd woken up and fancied a chat and mommy and daddy were asleep so she thought she'd phone me ;)
I guess I am lucky, my grandchildren would not be up at 05.30 although I would be. I am more likely to get the call at 23.00 when I am hopefully fast asleep :cool:

Apple machines without doubt are stylish to look at and can perform very well but they are very very expensive and you can't work on them plus the intel i9 outperforms the Apple M1 cpu for a lot less of your hard earned dosh.
I agree Mac computers are expensiv, BUT well worth the expense. I have 10 year old MacBook Pro, cost £1200, 10 years ago. Running OS which is regularly updated overnight occasionally free of charge, virtually virus free. Love it. Still have a windows tower computer still running Windows 7. Old slow and reliable, just like myself. Both have a place in my work and hobbies. Alf C

Apple machines without doubt are stylish to look at and can perform very well but they are very very expensive and you can't work on them plus the intel i9 outperforms the Apple M1 cpu for a lot less of your hard earned dosh.
Agree, my wife is an Apple person, I can buy 2 Lenovos for the price of one! She has an older Mac Book that even the Apple store could/would not work on!

My Dell laptop and Acer desktop are both 3 years old using Intel i5 processors which easily run Windows 11. Microsoft regularly issue updates as necessary. I believe that Win 11 is now just as secure as any Apple OS or iOS.

I regularly use Zoom with someone who has an iMac and using the screenshare function they were quite surprised how slick and easy Win 11 runs. I can see their iMac running. We find that the Zoom screenshare (Skype also has it) is a very useful feature.

My Dell laptop and Acer desktop are both 3 years old using Intel i5 processors which easily run Windows 11. Microsoft regularly issue updates as necessary. I believe that Win 11 is now just as secure as any Apple OS or iOS.

I regularly use Zoom with someone who has an iMac and using the screenshare function they were quite surprised how slick and easy Win 11 runs. I can see their iMac running. We find that the Zoom screenshare (Skype also has it) is a very useful feature.
oldMohawk, it seems that 6 plus years is about the cut off for w11. My old Lenovo 2016 would not run w11. It also depends on the release date of the mode.

You can install W11 on old machines if your prepared to do some registry edits et al and I have do just to see if I could do it. That said there's no real benefit and it won't run faster than W10.

I remember reading an interview with Alan Solomon who launched Dr Solomon's antivirus in the 90s. He said he regretted using the word 'virus' because it panicked people instead of providing peace of mind and he's right in that people worry about getting hacked at a level that is not a true reflection of the actual threat.

If you keep Windows Defender up to date you shouldn't have issues unless you cause them...watch what you click 'OK' to sort of thing (I also use Malwarebytes). Common sense can save a lot of heartbreak.

You can install W11 on old machines if your prepared to do some registry edits et al and I have do just to see if I could do it. That said there's no real benefit and it won't run faster than W10.

I remember reading an interview with Alan Solomon who launched Dr Solomon's antivirus in the 90s. He said he regretted using the word 'virus' because it panicked people instead of providing peace of mind and he's right in that people worry about getting hacked at a level that is not a true reflection of the actual threat.

If you keep Windows Defender up to date you shouldn't have issues unless you cause them...watch what you click 'OK' to sort of thing (I also use Malwarebytes). Common sense can save a lot of heartbreak.
This and a decent backup regime will keep your data safe.

Microsoft updated my 4 year old Acer Desk Computer to Win 11 22H2 this morning. It took about 30 minutes.
So what "goodies" are in it.

Tabbed folders - interesting for 'serious' computer use but not really needed if the computer is only used on the internet.
Folders on the 'Start' screen ... similar apps can be grouped ... I like it.
All installed apps still work ... including my 15 year old Paint Shop Pro 5
They say it is 'more secure' .... I'll take their word for it !
They've just offered to update the update ... so I've switched off updates until Christmas

Microsoft updated my 4 year old Acer Desk Computer to Win 11 22H2 this morning. It took about 30 minutes.
So what "goodies" are in it.

Tabbed folders - interesting for 'serious' computer use but not really needed if the computer is only used on the internet.
Folders on the 'Start' screen ... similar apps can be grouped ... I like it.
All installed apps still work ... including my 15 year old Paint Shop Pro 5
They say it is 'more secure' .... I'll take their word for it !
They've just offered to update the update ... so I've switched off updates until Christmas
I am into month 3 with my new Lenovo W11. Getting used to it if only if the “operator error” alarm would stop screwing up!
So far I think that MS is doing a pretty good job. We just got a new Apple phone for my wife who follows instructions FAR better than I. We had to go back to the Apple store 6 times after we picked it up! My wife’s frustration was quite high. I thought I was on the set of one of those carry on movies. The piece de resistance (SP) was that the new would not pair to her new car (old one was fine) Apple told us the dealer will do it. My experience with Apple is they don’t really care once they have your money! Sorry about that.

I am into month 3 with my new Lenovo W11. Getting used to it if only if the “operator error” alarm would stop screwing up!
So far I think that MS is doing a pretty good job. We just got a new Apple phone for my wife who follows instructions FAR better than I. We had to go back to the Apple store 6 times after we picked it up! My wife’s frustration was quite high. I thought I was on the set of one of those carry on movies. The piece de resistance (SP) was that the new would not pair to her new car (old one was fine) Apple told us the dealer will do it. My experience with Apple is they don’t really care once they have your money! Sorry about that.
Yes Richard, my Apple iPad and iPhone won't update to iOS 16 so no more updating allowed for me. They are probably hoping I will buy new ....:rolleyes:
I think Microsoft tried the same thing with Windows 11 by blocking some computers from updating from Windows 10.
But thousands of users have found ways round the block ...
:)

From what I hear Apple have always only been interested in pushing new products and expensive upgrades. this is why I have NEVER considered getting any of their products, whatever the addicts ,who always insist how wonderful they are, say

Although I mostly use Windows, the first computer I touch each morning is my 8 year old iPad for a quick look at the internet. The iPad battery runs for about 2 days before recharge needed. It won't upgrade past iOS 15.6 but still runs ok. I occasionally think about upgrading to an iPad Pro.

I'm old enough to have used slide rules and log tables and watched computers develop from the early 1980s when I touched my first home computer (Vic 20) and haven't stopped since ... :)

Although I mostly use Windows, the first computer I touch each morning is my 8 year old iPad for a quick look at the internet. The iPad battery runs for about 2 days before recharge needed. It won't upgrade past iOS 15.6 but still runs ok. I occasionally think about upgrading to an iPad Pro.

I'm old enough to have used slide rules and log tables and watched computers develop from the early 1980s when I touched my first home computer (Vic 20) and haven't stopped since ... :)
mine was a .IBM with Intel 8088 microprocessor , and a huge 10 mhg hard drive, i mean huge it was like a house brick running dos and win 3:grinning:

old Mohawk, I still have my second slide rule and my First computer was an IBM PC, monochrome monitor and 1 - 160 drive. My wife has an iPad Pro (large but heavy to hold) It is also upgrade limited. The iPad is actually a large phone with limits. For the latest upgrades she has an Apple confuter, thank goodness they are sync with her phone!

Who's in charge ?
I finished a session on my Windows 11 PC late last night and clicked the 'Shut-down' icon. I saw the screen go off and started preparing for bed. I then noticed the PC had restarted itself and wanted me to log-in.

I entered my PIN and watched it start up and again clicked the 'Shut-down' button. A few minutes later it restarted itself and wanted me to log-in again. For the third time I went through the shut-down procedure but it would not stay shut down so I switched off it's electricity supply and went to bed.

This morning I switched on and Windows stated that it had not been shut down correctly and dumped a large log file somewhere in the system. Eventually it started and a Windows update named 'Stack Package' commenced. Apparently this is usually a background update and might have been running when I wanted to switch off last night. I've run the Scannow utility which found and repaired a number of system files.

The PC is running ok at the moment and I think I'm in charge .... ;)

oldMohawk you better be carefull you might have downloaded some thing sinester from the www.
you know what they say Fantasy is the impossible made probable.
Science Fiction is the improbable made possible.
"You are about to enter another dimension. A dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop—The Twilight Zone."
:worried:

Just to be sure I've downloaded and installed a fresh new copy of Windows 11 with all latest updates. Had to reinstall apps and Chrome etc. All my data files and photos are not on the system drive C: so the installation did not touch them. The PC is now running fast and smooth and does what I want it to ... :)

Who's in charge ?
I finished a session on my Windows 11 PC late last night and clicked the 'Shut-down' icon. I saw the screen go off and started preparing for bed. I then noticed the PC had restarted itself and wanted me to log-in.

I entered my PIN and watched it start up and again clicked the 'Shut-down' button. A few minutes later it restarted itself and wanted me to log-in again. For the third time I went through the shut-down procedure but it would not stay shut down so I switched off it's electricity supply and went to bed.

This morning I switched on and Windows stated that it had not been shut down correctly and dumped a large log file somewhere in the system. Eventually it started and a Windows update named 'Stack Package' commenced. Apparently this is usually a background update and might have been running when I wanted to switch off last night. I've run the Scannow utility which found and repaired a number of system files.

The PC is running ok at the moment and I think I'm in charge .... ;)
oldMohawk, I have to ask are you SURE you hit the shut down button :cool: , would not be my first time!

Hi Richard, I mostly use the button in the Start menu which pops up when I press the Windows key. The fresh copy of Windows is running well and all quiet on the computing front ... :D
Screenshot (25).jpg

Back