• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Parish Church WW1 Memorial

Hi Ann...Got one that you may want to take a look out and another which you don't feel to sure about, I will start with the one you are not sure of.. Mogg H J, the only H J Mogg on fold3 was born and lived in Wolverton, The J E Mogg I think is the person on the memorial, the connection to the church could be his father who is buried there ?

This person is very hard to research, I have found a Frank Edkins, which could be mistaken for Adkins, he and his family lived in various address in and around Birmingham, his address on his pension records is 60, Oliver Road Erdington, but his sister was living in Whitehouse Street when she married at St Marys in 1916, his mother died in 1902, I am unable to find him on the 1911 census, found his family but not him, what makes it hard is that both Ancestry and FindmyPast hints keep pointing to Adkins, his reg number 1617, and he died 25/01/1917, see what you think, I think he could be cos he may have lived with his sister in Whitehouse St.

Ann, I think you may have an incorrect entry on the memorial, Charles Henry Pountney 13748, you have him living in Dolobran Road which caught my attention because I have never heard of that name before, so I checked it and found that he had no connection to Aston at all, But I did find another Charles Pountney reg 8423, with Aston connections, the difference is the initials the Charles I believe is the correct one is C C Pountney, I know you like your initials Ann, and you know I don't trust them, at the end of the day its your decision who is on the memorial and who isn't but I do think you have the incorrect Pountney , hope you don't mind me making this suggestion.

The birth of Charles H Pountney is reg in Aston. His paternal grandmother is buried at St Peter and Paul aston. So there are weak links. His Mother's brother married there.

Last edited:
You are correct Janice, but I cannot find Charles living in Aston, he does have the connection via his paternal side like you have stated but they are a bit weak, I also know that he was born in Aston, but that could be anywhere, Sparkbrook, Small Heath and other areas etc...Headache , Headache, :worried:

Good afternoon everyone. I've been a reader of the forum on and off for years, but have never posted, so I hope this is a topic of interest.

I've spent many hours researching the names of the war dead listed on the WW1 Memorial located within the Church (not to be confused with the memorial for the 8th Batallion RWR). I have the support of the Parochial Church Council in doing this, and the overall aim is to publish a commemorative book to sit alongside the Memorial.

Of the 618 names on the Memorial, I have fully identified 523, and partially identified another 16 (just an Aston address missing). The details can be found on a website I've created at AstonWW1Memorial.com. Whilst I am very confident that the details are correct, I would welcome any feedback on possible errors, and I am particularly interested in finding out details of 79 names I've been unable to trace, although some of them are duplicates or are unlikely to be untraceable for other reasons.

All help will be gratefully received. The more complete the information, the better the commemorative book will be.
Many thanks
Ann
Annie, my grandfather was in ww1, Joseph Sant died 1947, when my mom was 16, (tho she's dead now, ) he lost his legs due to a wound I think . Mom always said he was mentioned in dispatches. By any slim chance would I be able to find out if his name is on this list , his address was 93 Church Rd, Aston. Many thanks. Celia McMullan.

The list is available via the "Aston memorial" link in post #1 .
However, it is for those who died in WW1 so your grandfather would not be on the list as you say he didn't die until 1947.

Having had a look, I've noted this, but for now will keep under review. The Uk war dead details give his residence as Bromyard.
Interesting stuff. I noticed that one of the birth records listed a Leonard Homer. The Homer family that I knew had a son, John and they lived at 38 Millington Road in Castle Bromwich.

Whether this has any connection to the Homer family in question, my Godparents just happened to be "Uncle" Len and "Mrs. Homer". (I never knew her first name, other than "Aunty", in typical Brit fashion).

In my first year 1952, I lived with my Mom and Dad in rented accommodation on the ground floor at 36 Millington Road in Castle Bromwich, next door to the Homers.

My wife just bought a couple of budgies a few weeks ago, that instantly reminded me of my Godparents and their budgie!

At a guess, they would have been older than my parents by about 10 years. My Dad passed in 2004 just approaching his 84th birthday. I just checked my fading birth certificate from 1952, to confirm our address as being 36 Millington Road.

FWIW, the houses don't look any different on Google Earth today, than back in those days other than the closed in front porch that was a '70s update!

Just to tie my own connection to the Homers, I have attached snip from the inside cover of my Collins English Dictionary that Mrs Homer gave to me at Christmas in 1966.

I am pretty sure from recall of long ago, that her husband Len had worked at Cincinnati Milling Machines (Milacron) and their only son John most definitely worked there, since he trained my close friend Tommy Lee at Cincinnati.

I have not seen John Homer since the 1970s when he and his wife lived in The Mount, off Gravelly Hill (just up the hill from Spaghetti Junction), almost opposite my friends Jim and Lyn Bromley. I believe that John was about 10 years my senior, which would put him around 80 now. Maybe they are still there.

Whether this is the same Homer family as is being researched, I do not know. However, their names might just spark some memories and research of the census or church records etc. Hopefully they are connected and can provide some useful leads.

Martin

Attachments

• Mrs Homer.JPG
    Mrs Homer.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 5
Ann....I think I have found your Murray R A......I have him as Richard Murray reg 4662, his father was Alphonse Murray and his mother Elizabeth, they only connection to Aston I can find is that Richard was in 6th Royal Warwickshire's

Attachments

• Murray, Richard (4662).jpg
    Murray, Richard (4662).jpg
    200 KB · Views: 8
Ann you really really going to hate me, but I have found a Bertrand Moreton reg 2254, with very strong connections to Aston and Aston Church, he was baptised there when the family were living on the Lichfield Road before they moved to the Manchester area...sorry if I am causing you problems

I cannot at this moment Martin find a connection, but your Aunty was named Joyce,
Bang on correct, thanks! In the back of my mind I did know her name and last night, I recalled it starting with "J", but couldn't be sure.

Funnily enough, I remember their budgie's name was Billy!!!

I have my family tree on Ancestry.ca going back to the 1600s and did some research a while back, but have limited access to records being on this side of the pond.

My cousin Sue used to physically follow up on my/our research for family, but I never thought about tracing my Godparents family name.

As everyone who does the research, census and other records often have names misspelled, due the limited writing abilities of those recording the names. There was a kid in our road, whose name was Godfrey, because someone screwed up writing Geoffrey!

In 1911 Jack is living in Fraser Road with his Mother and a brother George.
As I have no notes I don't think I found him on 1901.

This could be a wild goose chasebut there are so few J Townsends that I felt it worth investigating.
Good evening everyone. I have found Aston connections for Jack. His brother George married in Aston 1919, then living in Coventry Road (which is sub reg Bordesley, Aston reg district). In 1911 his sister Gladys was living in Conybere Street (sub reg Deritend, Aston reg district).His mother Mary Ann, maiden name Cleeton, had two brothers Robert and Ernest, both who lived in Aston. Robert married there in 1910, Ernest resident there as noted on his war pension record. Sufficient I think to say he'd have had relatives there who would have given in his name. This is another one that will go down as unknown address, but with a note there are family connections.
For completeness, in 1901 the family was living in Bertha Street, six children in total.
Jack's brother William Lloyd Townsend married in Paddington, London in 1915. I suppose it is possible that that is why Mary Ann is down that way.

Hi
Ann, I think you may have an incorrect entry on the memorial, Charles Henry Pountney 13748, you have him living in Dolobran Road which caught my attention because I have never heard of that name before, so I checked it and found that he had no connection to Aston at all, But I did find another Charles Pountney reg 8423, with Aston connections, the difference is the initials the Charles I believe is the correct one is C C Pountney, I know you like your initials Ann, and you know I don't trust them, at the end of the day its your decision who is on the memorial and who isn't but I do think you have the incorrect Pountney , hope you don't mind me making this suggestion.

Hi there
I really don't mind at all you making suggestions, it's good to have other eyes and thoughts on the task!
Having said that, I am happy with my Charles Henry Pountney! :) The Dolobran Road address is sub reg Deritend, reg Aston. The family are there in the 1901 census. Janice has mentioned other connections too, so I am comfortable with this choice.
I have the C C Poutney in the other database I am keeping for others that died.
Ann

Ann you really really going to hate me, but I have found a Bertrand Moreton reg 2254, with very strong connections to Aston and Aston Church, he was baptised there when the family were living on the Lichfield Road before they moved to the Manchester area...sorry if I am causing you problems
I'm not going to hate you at all!! :laughing: :laughing: We are researching and it throws things up.

My notes for Benjamin Moreton say "War record says resident Aston, born Madeley. WG gives parents in Madeley, and War record give this place too. Census confirms." So, I have him as a resident of Aston, but don't have an address, but that's why he is included.

Regarding Bertrand Moreton, can you give me some more information? When was he baptised, and do we have any evidence any relatives might still have been in Aston?

Hi Ann...Got one that you may want to take a look out and another which you don't feel to sure about, I will start with the one you are not sure of.. Mogg H J, the only H J Mogg on fold3 was born and lived in Wolverton, The J E Mogg I think is the person on the memorial, the connection to the church could be his father who is buried there ?

This person is very hard to research, I have found a Frank Edkins, which could be mistaken for Adkins, he and his family lived in various address in and around Birmingham, his address on his pension records is 60, Oliver Road Erdington, but his sister was living in Whitehouse Street when she married at St Marys in 1916, his mother died in 1902, I am unable to find him on the 1911 census, found his family but not him, what makes it hard is that both Ancestry and FindmyPast hints keep pointing to Adkins, his reg number 1617, and he died 25/01/1917, see what you think, I think he could be cos he may have lived with his sister in Whitehouse St.
Thanks John. I'll have a look at these again, and get back to you.

Ann....I think I have found your Murray R A......I have him as Richard Murray reg 4662, his father was Alphonse Murray and his mother Elizabeth, they only connection to Aston I can find is that Richard was in 6th Royal Warwickshire's
He has been on my radar, but need to find an Aston connection. :confused:

I cannot at this moment Martin find a connection, but your Aunty was named Joyce,
Strange, I thought that I'd already responded, but may not have hit the post button.

You are bang on with Joyce being Mr's Homer's first name. I knew it began with a "J" but couldn't rattle my brain well enough last night!

Her husband Len (Leonard Kenneth) was originally from Hazewood Place Gt. Francis Street, where I believe that although being older than my parents, they had first met as children. My Dad went to Loxton Street School (no longer exists) and Mom to Bloomsbury Street, both just a "stone's throw" away.

Thinking about it, I have their school class photographs, which might help others identify their relatives.

Thanks again.
Martin

Good evening everyone. I have found Aston connections for Jack. His brother George married in Aston 1919, then living in Coventry Road (which is sub reg Bordesley, Aston reg district). In 1911 his sister Gladys was living in Conybere Street (sub reg Deritend, Aston reg district).His mother Mary Ann, maiden name Cleeton, had two brothers Robert and Ernest, both who lived in Aston. Robert married there in 1910, Ernest resident there as noted on his war pension record. Sufficient I think to say he'd have had relatives there who would have given in his name. This is another one that will go down as unknown address, but with a note there are family connections.
For completeness, in 1901 the family was living in Bertha Street, six children in total.
Jack's brother William Lloyd Townsend married in Paddington, London in 1915. I suppose it is possible that that is why Mary Ann is down that way.
Thank you. I found Gladys at that address but was unsure if it would do.
Nice to find a Naval representative on the memorial.

A little more detail on Bertrand Moreton, I have attached census for 1891, which shows the family living on the High Street Aston, and one of three children being baptised at Aston Church 1893, Also his aunt Alice Maude Burton nee Moreton was living at 7/342 Witton Road, and it looks like all her children were baptised at Aston Church, I am unable to attach the baptism page at this moment

Attachments

• WARRG12_2433_2435-0125.jpg
    WARRG12_2433_2435-0125.jpg
    896.7 KB · Views: 9
Ann...I think that being in the Warwickshire's 6th regiment is the only link to Aston that some of the men have, I have searched through the people with no known Aston address and I have found that the majority were in the 6th or 8th Warwickshire's, and properly based at Witton barrack's

A little more detail on Bertrand Moreton, I have attached census for 1891, which shows the family living on the High Street Aston, and one of three children being baptised at Aston Church 1893, Also his aunt Alice Maude Burton nee Moreton was living at 7/342 Witton Road, and it looks like all her children were baptised at Aston Church, I am unable to attach the baptism page at this moment
Baptism record from St Peter and Paul Aston
1651412373679.png

I do believe I have found an address for Gilbert Thomas Webb and his wife born Harriet Kezia Jinks, who was married someone with the surname Chaplin, Gilbert and Harriett were married in 1910 Aston area, they were living at 52 William Street Birmingham in 1911, Now there is a bit of a twist I think his proper name is Thomas Gilbert Chalk Webb born 1880, but probably used Gilbert as his first name, he is a bit of a challenge to research.

Are additions being made retrospectively to the list? If so I think my Grandfather might fit the criteria.

I don't think so, one of my father's uncle's was killed in WW1 and he was from Aston.
I guess the family didn't know about the memorial or didn't want to put his name forward for some reason.

Are additions being made retrospectively to the list? If so I think my Grandfather might fit the criteria.
HI there
The Memorial lists 618 names, but we know that many, many more men from Aston died. My own uncle is one such. I am compiling a list of other men that died (although currently I don't know what I'm going to do with such a list!), so happy for you to send details.
Ann

Back