• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Next up 390 Coventry Road in 1968, and there is a television rental shop, can you imagine paying to hire a large black and white TV with a suspect image and only three channels, they are advertising the Olympics and colour tvs too. Next door is Marley with lino and carpets and Sketchleys dry cleaners - are they still going?

View attachment 168965
Taaj Services is 390

Attachments

• 390 Coventry Road - 2021.JPG
    390 Coventry Road - 2021.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 16
395 Soho Road from 1975, first a property dark blue painted bus shelter, none of these plastic ones, Bingo hall off to the right , and a fine brick built gable and wall Five Oaks has a couple of window styles upstairs one sash and a little bay, love the little arched window frames. Clean and tidy pavement too.

View attachment 168967
Cinema long gone and replaced by Lidl

Attachments

• 395 Soho Road - 2021.JPG
    395 Soho Road - 2021.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 9
This view is 580 Coventry Road in 1981, Park View school of dance advert in the C & G window upstairs, an advert for Old Holborn on the end wall on the left and a lovely Cast iron street sign. A drapers on the left - do they have those any more , and on the right judging by the blinds down the boxes and the van its a green grocers. In the Middle Cheltenham and Gloucester Building society , not a full office but a desk in the estate agents I believe.

View attachment 168969
remnants of sign left in 2008.

Attachments

• Coventry Road 580 sign -2021.JPG
    Coventry Road 580 sign -2021.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Coventry Road 580 -2021.JPG
    Coventry Road 580 -2021.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 20
and finally for today, a bit further down 668 Coventry Road in 1968, starting from the top, attic gables, like how the two meet in the middle rather than them spaced in the centre of the roof. Next layer down the same with the windows the two small windows meet with the larger window set alone. nice top to the window frame and nice sash windows - yet to be replaced. Finally on the street MIdland Bank now HSBC and " Griffin" the name of the logo which is a griffin !!. Bedford van to the left , bike infront of the bank and Eatons stockists of Lightning zips and Emu wool, your local clothes / cotton and wool shop .
Hope you enjoyed them .

View attachment 168970
Testing me again Steve. Midland Bank was 606 Coventry Road not 666. Wondered where those gables had gone.
Today Subway occupies the bank premises.

Attachments

• Coventry Road 606 - 2021.JPG
    Coventry Road 606 - 2021.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 17
Next is 1429 -31 Pershore Road 1971, a classic LLoyds Bank balanced proportions, downpipe in the middle , then windows equally spread as you move down the building. I like the writing on the ground floor windows, gold I presume, never understood why, your not going to walk down the High Street and suddenly decide you want to make a foreign investment. Next door C.J.F .... with a window display full of bikes toys etc, a proper window. On the road we have a Ford Cortina and a Rover.

View attachment 169025
No idea what the building is used for today but not a bank. Streetview 2008 shows it with for sale signs. Difficult to get good view as road quite narrow.

Attachments

• Pershore Road 1429 -31 - 2021.JPG
    Pershore Road 1429 -31 - 2021.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 17
A bit more colour, I know enough to see this is the jewelry quarter, again the picture rings a bell, but it may be just looking at it. Goldsmith and jewelry mounters to the left and more of the same moving down the road, Hockley Chemicals at the end of the road. Nice old style road sign and a fine selection of cars . Buildings seem to have lots of little doors and offices and workshops inside.

Test226.jpg

Next we have Temple Row, next to the churchyard, somewhere else that has changed , especially in the background, both corners have long gone and not especially for the better, unusual seating with a display in the middle, and the lady with the hat looking the height of fashion. A look at the background sees the Leeds Permanent Building Society, which I think morphed into the Halifax, and on the corner is a newspaper seller with his little stand but not one of the fortunate ones who had a roof though.

Test231.jpg

A bit more colour, I know enough to see this is the jewelry quarter, again the picture rings a bell, but it may be just looking at it. Goldsmith and jewelry mounters to the left and more of the same moving down the road, Hockley Chemicals at the end of the road. Nice old style road sign and a fine selection of cars . Buildings seem to have lots of little doors and offices and workshops inside.

View attachment 169263

In 1933 Albert Hundy was mentioned at 20 Vyse Street.

In 1940 Richard Nevill was mentioned at 48 Vyse Street, and Albert Hundy at 50.

You can just see Betts (Alfred) who is also listed at 50 Vyse Street.

Last edited:
We move down to High Street now, Rotunda end, looks like a cold winters day, everyone wrapped up and shopping bags at the ready. A fine selection of adverts on the buildings, looks like the Esso one is moving, Lloyds bank on the base of the Rotunda and a Ladbrokes too. The yellow Corporation lorry is unloaded paving slabs and the old style barriers keep the public out of the way. Finally Corporation rear entry bus moving into New Street.Test233.jpg

View attachment 169263
The building on the far left with Richard Nevill etched in the window is 48 Vyse st, with the road just past it being Hylton St

Can I first draw your attention to the sign top right, lady and child hand in hand , Union Street leading down to Marks and Spencers, looks like pedestrianisation in progress, narrow street with the Centre Bus coming towards the camera.
Dorothy Perkings next to M & S and of course Littlewoods side entrance on the left. One last thing the classic light posts with the tube type lights on top.

Test234.jpg

Finally a slightly different view from the first - looking a bit busier too, centre bus coming up Cherry Street but there is a one way street sign just to the right of the bus - isn't it going the wrong way? Tiffanys on the corner and a Thorntons Chocolate Kabin next to it. Looking down Cherry Street we have Union Street off into the distance.

Test235.jpg

Finally a slightly different view from the first - looking a bit busier too, centre bus coming up Cherry Street but there is a one way street sign just to the right of the bus - isn't it going the wrong way? Tiffanys on the corner and a Thorntons Chocolate Kabin next to it. Looking down Cherry Street we have Union Street off into the distance.

View attachment 169269
I remember Tiffanys boutique very well!
Margaret Treggonings florist was next door, out of view.
They were the last of those lovely old buildings by the churchyard, sad they were demolished not very long afterwards.

The building on the far left with Richard Nevill etched in the window is 48 Vyse st, with the road just past it being Hylton St
correct mike...looking towards gt hampton st....what a shame as i worked next door to no 48 at no 47 and its just out of shot...lower floor is now a florist and my office window was top left

Looking down from Nevill and Hundy you can see the Hockley Chemical Co. Ltd. at Hockley Hill. Here is a picture from the Post in 1975 which gives a history of the firm.

33C31ECA-F89F-4F14-B088-040401C7CBB0.jpeg

There is a thread for Hockey Chemicals, I will place the article on it later...

Last edited:
interesting info pedro...as i had to walk up vyse st to work and back i can remember seeing large glass carboys packed with straw around them outside hockley chem ready for loading...strange how a photo can bring back a memory

lyn

Last edited:
As you have been good to allow me to indulge myself I thought I would go back to what you are waiting for !!

We have New John Street West and Great Russell Street, small child waiting to be crossed over the road and a greengrocers shop in the background, any reason why the shop looks new built ?
As always no year but for a change I can tell you the location. Love the house with the arch over the door and stonework over the windows and half nets over the windows.View attachment 156917
I Lived in 10/48 Great Russell street from 1958 to December 1962, I went to St. Chads in Brearly street and later to St Chads in Shadwell street. I think the name of the grocer shop in the photo was Butts, I might be wrong and to the right hand side across the road was a Chip shop, 2d and 4d for chips and a penny for scrapings. If anyone has a map of the location showing 10/48 I would be grateful. Thank you

Can I first draw your attention to the sign top right, lady and child hand in hand , Union Street leading down to Marks and Spencers, looks like pedestrianisation in progress, narrow street with the Centre Bus coming towards the camera.
Dorothy Perkings next to M & S and of course Littlewoods side entrance on the left. One last thing the classic light posts with the tube type lights on top.

View attachment 169268
Littlewoods on the bottom of the road to the left

611 - 615 Stratford Road from 1969 seems to be on its last legs, broken windows missing porches and the guttering is broken. You can imaging what these looked like 100 years ago , the wall and front garden still look okay and the sash windows and the arch window over the door set its time

View attachment 152859
I look at the worn steps and wonder who and how many passed that way since they were built. I know I am old now but I so want to hang on to the past though most has already so sadly disappeared

69 Osborne Road in 1974, seems they like their cigarette with 3 different companies advertising. As we have seen before Twinings tea is still popular and the shop windows are full of produces - note the OMO washing powder. Shelves in the window on the right seem to be sagging a bit, seems to be all the sweet jars

View attachment 152923
As a little girl I always loved those Twinings tea ads I used to look up at them along Monument Rd as I was taken shopping and wish I had a dress with a full skirt like that ha ha.

Good afternoon
as I am posting here you will gather its not a corner shop - you can have too much of a good thing.
These are colour pictures of the Bull Ring Rotunda area, sunny day summer but nothing on the photo so I will leave you to guess the year. The market is in full swing and there are plenty of cranes about
oh sorry to disagree, but I love seeing corner shops whether they were known to me or not because quite often they would be the hub of the community. Although with not much money to spend people had to be careful

oh sorry to disagree, but I love seeing corner shops whether they were known to me or not because quite often they would be the hub of the community. Although with not much money to spend people had to be careful
Must agree with you Jeanie. I remember nearly every street had a corner shop, which was originally built as a house. Even though my mother bought her weekly shop from the co-op I always had to run down to the corner shop to get the mint sauce, Bisto gravy or what ever she had suddenly run out of.

I Lived in 10/48 Great Russell street from 1958 to December 1962, I went to St. Chads in Brearly street and later to St Chads in Shadwell street. I think the name of the grocer shop in the photo was Butts, I might be wrong and to the right hand side across the road was a Chip shop, 2d and 4d for chips and a penny for scrapings. If anyone has a map of the location showing 10/48 I would be grateful. Thank you
hi and welcome...as you will see a map has been provided for you....we also have an extensive thread for great russell st with many photos of it before demolition..hope you find this of interest

lyn

Thank you for the map and marking our house, so many memories come flooding back, our shared toilets by the court number 13, the brew house, looking down the yard to the entry to see my dad come home from work. I remember the cellar it was like a massive cave to me but my dad had to crouch.
Thanks again.

View attachment 169268
The end premises on the left (with the canopy) was Chelsea Girl. Cheapish clothes, blaring music and a chance to meet up with friends on a Saturday.

Had a big, big run-in with Ravel’s shoe shop on the left. I had a pair of boots from there that fell apart within no time. They never replaced them. Didn’t know of the Small Claims Court at the time so didn’t take it any further. Viv.

Two for the price of one next - 312 Tile Cross Road in 1969, quite a variety of items outside this shop, telephone box, postbox and stamp machine, and over to the right are wire milk crates and Midland counties Ice-cream bin and up the corner some weighing scales. Interesting shop fronts too, a door to a hairdressers with barbers pole, a window of fashion clothing backed by tin foil? and the Supermarket / newsagent come post office. On the left the nose of an old van

View attachment 168427
Love the little boy staring out of the window above the newsagent

Back