• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

This the other side of Golden Hillock garage from some weeks ago still 1972, Amoco petrol station with quad stamps, plenty of bunting and the old petrol pumps. A variety of cars and the mini van for deliveries. see also the Wimbush Bakery sign on the gate post on the right.

View attachment 156962
Note NEW stamps, worth 8 times more than the OLD ones
I think it means you only have to spend £256 to fill a book.

EPSON226C.jpg
EPSON225C.jpg

next is 2-4 Watford Road in 1976, a selection of shops who's names are no longer there - when did you see a wallpaper shop outside a DIY store and International supermarket. Note that the newsagents have a sale with 25p off 200 cigarettes and a board to put your postcards with adverts on. Mention also for the Vauxhall Victor

View attachment 156965
Check out the platform shoes.

next is 2-4 Watford Road in 1976, a selection of shops who's names are no longer there - when did you see a wallpaper shop outside a DIY store and International supermarket. Note that the newsagents have a sale with 25p off 200 cigarettes and a board to put your postcards with adverts on. Mention also for the Vauxhall Victor

View attachment 156965
At that time "my neck of the woods" Corner of Watford Rd at Cotteridge, A Barclay's bank and a bus depot across the road, both long gone. Photo taken by the Outer Circle bus stop down to Cadbury's, where my wife worked until 1972.

Next we have Western house on Smallbrook Queensway 1970, corner of Hurst street, slope down to the dingy underpass and note traffic lights to allow traffic out of Hurst street. Interesting to see the uplighters on the building and also the shape of the support columns - ribbed concrete effect.

View attachment 155780
More memories! If I missed the 147 from the bus station I can hardly believe that I would regularly run via this subway and arrive at the stop in the Horsefair comfortably before the bus.
Steve thankyou for your collection of pictures and for taking the time to share them.

As you have been good to allow me to indulge myself I thought I would go back to what you are waiting for !!

We have New John Street West and Great Russell Street, small child waiting to be crossed over the road and a greengrocers shop in the background, any reason why the shop looks new built ?
As always no year but for a change I can tell you the location. Love the house with the arch over the door and stonework over the windows and half nets over the windows.View attachment 156917
As far as I can tell Great Russell Street would have been roughly here.

Attachments

• Great Russell Street 2021.JPG
    Great Russell Street 2021.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 18
Here is the Osborne Hotel Hagley Road in 1972, rather imposing dark coloured building with a large van and a Jaguar on the forecourt. Romulus restaurant inside and a pair of white shoes waiting at the bus stop, also a waiting sign that seems to need a degree to understand.

View attachment 156964
All painted white now and looks very different. had a problem with the street furniture as there is a bus shelter right outside. Now called Akbar's and is a restaurant.

Attachments

• Osborne Hotel Hagley Road - 2021.JPG
    Osborne Hotel Hagley Road - 2021.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 14

View attachment 156965
Still there but the shops (and windows upstairs) have changed. Street furniture getting n the way again.

Attachments

• 2-4 Watford Road - 2021.JPG
    2-4 Watford Road - 2021.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 15
Final one is a bit obscure this is the back of Bristol street Motors off the Bristol Road surprisingly enough, just down from Matthew Bolton College where we were sent from the council to be educated.

View attachment 156966
Tricky to pinpoint because of changes. This is a view from the back of Bristol Street motors but I am not convinced I can get to the right place on Streetview.

Attachments

• Bristol Street Motors - 2021.JPG
    Bristol Street Motors - 2021.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 18
Final one is a bit obscure this is the back of Bristol street Motors off the Bristol Road surprisingly enough, just down from Matthew Bolton College where we were sent from the council to be educated.

View attachment 156966
Trying again with the new address. The pathway is fenced off now. Other view is 2015 when the path was still open.

Attachments

• Bristol Street Motors - 2015.JPG
    Bristol Street Motors - 2015.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 22
  • Bristol Street Motors - 2021v2.JPG
    Bristol Street Motors - 2021v2.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 22
sorry for the quick visit with little commentary bit busy at work.

We have been having a walk up and down Corporation Street - we got as far as Lewis's so we will walk back down to Union street where we started. Not much to see a selection of shop fronts and a few cars. All taken in 1971

First Up stone Dry

A1 Stone Dri -71.jpg

Last edited:
And finally Burton tailoring -sorry it was a rush

View attachment 157065
And finally Burton tailoring -sorry it was a rush

View attachment 157065
Many thanks for these pics Steve but it is #1670 that holds fond memories for me. I loved Wallis and I shopped there for many, many years. Wasn’t too keen on the communal, crammed changing room but that all changed over the years. Shame about the demise of Wallis and many other stores.
I remember a store called Neatawear, think this was in Corporation street. I liked their clothes too. Did they go bust? They seemed to disappear quite quickly.... but my memory may be playing tricks. Kind regards, Sue

A Burton’s story, by your leave.
When I was in the Lower Sixth Science and a very callow youth, I used to attend play readings organised by our very kindly English teacher in an attempt to become a bit more broadened in outlook. I turned up one evening in a tweed suit and shirt and tie.
He looked at me and said “that’s a very nice suit, John, Daks?”
I, a bit flustered said “No sir, Burton’s.”
He smiled at me and said “Yes, that’s where most of my Daks suits come from.”
A teacher like that is worth diamonds. Sorry for the digression.

A lot of ordinary cars of late, but I think #1674 needs comment. It’s a Triumph but is it a Vitesse, or a Herald painted up to look like one? I think it’s an imposter.

A lot of ordinary cars of late, but I think #1674 needs comment. It’s a Triumph but is it a Vitesse, or a Herald painted up to look like one? I think it’s an imposter.
There used to be a lot of people who would paint their cars to look like the souped-up version. I have a friend who painted the green stripes on his Ford Cortina to make it look like the Lotus Cortina.

I caught him one day with the bonnet open. He quickly started spluttering out he had temporary remove the lotus engine.

Back