• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

A pic finder/index for SteveBhx's thread in pdf format
This link below from OldMohawk should take you to the pdf file you are looking for
Really needs to be put in a place on the forum where it can be found easily( In the SteveBhx Pics thread?)
How come OldMohawk can upload a 7.56 Mb pdf file, but I can't?

Sorry missed this message been a bit busy recently hope everyone has seen the link, thanks to everyone for sorting this and the continued support. I am back in the office a couple of days a week and also starting to be on the road so not able to post so much.

Good afternoon, we have 97 Grange Road in 1973, William Bros electrical, interesting building in a residential row, painted sign on the wall and interesting bits either side of the door and on the left hand wall ( must have a proper name) and the house number over the door in the glass. Rear of a Morris van and nice to see nets in the windows.

97 Grange Road - 73 x.jpg

Next we have Western house on Smallbrook Queensway 1970, corner of Hurst street, slope down to the dingy underpass and note traffic lights to allow traffic out of Hurst street. Interesting to see the uplighters on the building and also the shape of the support columns - ribbed concrete effect.

Western House - 70.jpg

Next up brace yourself John, 143 - 159 Holyhead Road in 1974, Esso garage although I am not sure it is open for petrol, with lots to see, nice mini for £175 and the delux sales office. Fine selection of cars on or about the forecourt and even some been worked on in the road.

143 - 159 Holyhead Road - 74.jpg

The back of the photo says High Street / Winchester Street Aston 1969 but as we can all see it says Webster Street, but the local will know!!
Jack Wolfe Turf accountant - sound so old fashioned these days all blanked out windows and pictures of jockeys. Next door are the offices of Z cars with one of their cars parked outside. See the three storey houses and the brickwork over the windows upstairs.

High Street Winchester Street Aston - 69.jpg

I got carried away and posted my set of pics under old street pics re posting below - happy for someone to delete the others

Last edited:
Getting back on track - this is 595 Stratford Road 1969, already doomed by the look of the sign.
Windows left open , interesting building with a doorway in the left hand bay window, sign pointing to the office and apply within for vacancies - next door there is a nice Walls ice cream sign, which even in black and white most can see the colours
595 Stratford Road - 69.jpg

From Old street pics
Good afternoon, we have 97 Grange Road in 1973, William Bros electrical, interesting building in a residential row, painted sign on the wall and interesting bits either side of the door and on the left hand wall ( must have a proper name) and the house number over the door in the glass. Rear of a Morris van and nice to see nets in the windows.
97 Grange Road - 73 x.jpg

The back of the photo says High Street / Winchester Street Aston 1969 but as we can all see it says Webster Street, but the local will know!!
Jack Wolfe Turf accountant - sound so old fashioned these days all blanked out windows and pictures of jockeys. Next door are the offices of Z cars with one of their cars parked outside. See the three storey houses and the brickwork over the windows upstairs.

High Street Winchester Street Aston - 69 x.jpg

Ref photo 5929, I was living in the area at that time, but I cannot recall Jack Woolf being on the corner of Webster Street and the High Street..I do think it may have been Foster Brothers before that, facing it would have the Wagons and Horses public house, there was a turf accounts a few door down from the Wagon in the very early 1960's, were you had to go down an entry tap on a wooden latch type door, where a hand would appear, you placed the bet in the persons hand and go back later if you won....the original hole in the wall ....

Next up brace yourself John, 143 - 159 Holyhead Road in 1974, Esso garage although I am not sure it is open for petrol, with lots to see, nice mini for £175 and the delux sales office. Fine selection of cars on or about the forecourt and even some been worked on in the road.View attachment 155787
This is what my old dad used to call a “car patch”.

From the left, a BMC 1100 with a vinyl roof which instantly makes you think it was a pensioned off Panda car, and therefore very well worn. A Hillman Hunter, maybe a GT, or maybe just a wannabee. The £175 Austin Mini, and a Triumph Spitfire Mk1. A Farina Morris Oxford MkVI, not bad looking, a coupé, but I don’t know what.

A Consul/Granada, a Viva, an A50 van, and an 1100. Finally, a Mk2 Cortina with the bonnet up.

What would you open your wallet for? I think I would go for the Oxford, if it were at a good price, or maybe the Consul/Granada. I had the estate version in Roman Bronze, it owed me nothing.

Last edited:
Finally for today - an old Geoff Thompson picture, year open to suggestion - St Georges fish and chips saloon, with a sign in the window saying Roe. Nice selection of signs next door and interesting wooden support to the end wall - any additions greatly appreciated.

View attachment 155789steve i have seen this one before..the location is just not coming to me yet but i have an idea..if i solve it i will let you know

lyn

People just found this image to compare and contrast with the above - there is a road name on the end building - but the question is why change this to the above? If it was going to be demolished surely you would knock it down rather than remove the plaster?

View attachment 155790
it happened a lot steve...the original brickwork will still be under the new plaster work...just a bit of temp tarting up really

lyn

Last edited:
Getting back on track - this is 595 Stratford Road 1969, already doomed by the look of the sign.
Windows left open , interesting building with a doorway in the left hand bay window, sign pointing to the office and apply within for vacancies - next door there is a nice Walls ice cream sign, which even in black and white most can see the colours
View attachment 155785
The shop on the right is clearly marked 593 but in this modern shot (unless I am in the wrong place) the shop is 595 and the travel shop is 593. This is Sparkhill, have included map with house numbers. Looks as if they built a shop on.

Attachments

• 595 Stratford Road - map.JPG
    595 Stratford Road - map.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 595 Stratford Road - 2021.JPG
    595 Stratford Road - 2021.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 23
From Old street pics
View attachment 155786
The property is still there - interesting ghost sign on wall - don't think it is the Williams bros sign though. Ravenscroft Social Club next door burnt out. This is Grange Road Small heath (B10)
Have posted sign on Ghost signs thread

Attachments

• 97 Grange Road - 2021.JPG
    97 Grange Road - 2021.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 31
Next up brace yourself John, 143 - 159 Holyhead Road in 1974, Esso garage although I am not sure it is open for petrol, with lots to see, nice mini for £175 and the delux sales office. Fine selection of cars on or about the forecourt and even some been worked on in the road.View attachment 155787
As far as I can tell this garage occupied the land between Green Lane and Clarence Road. The "now" view is the same section of land.

Attachments

• 143 - 159 Holyhead Road - 2021.JPG
    143 - 159 Holyhead Road - 2021.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 20

View attachment 155788
Testing me again. The address was 158 High Street Aston which was the corner of Webster Street which no longer exists. So first of all a map then the now (I hope). We are back to that bus shelter again so I am sure someone will tell me if this is wrong.

Attachments

• High Street Winchester Street Aston - map.JPG
    High Street Winchester Street Aston - map.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 22
  • High Street Winchester Street Aston -2021.JPG
    High Street Winchester Street Aston -2021.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 18
People just found this image to compare and contrast with the above - there is a road name on the end building - but the question is why change this to the above? If it was going to be demolished surely you would knock it down rather than remove the plaster?

View attachment 155790
Thanks to Pedrocut and the "fire report"
This is where 126 Hockley street was between Barr Street and Smith Street

Attachments

• St George's chip shop 2021.JPG
    St George's chip shop 2021.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 15
Pretty sure this is College Rd, John.
Don’t think it’s College Road John, from memory, in Brookvale Road you would turn left into the Ridgeway, up the side of the Cemetery, then eventually get to College Road. Might be a few more stops on the bus. Think Tates might be right., but we are talking sixties. I used the number 5 bus. Regards Sue

Ref photo 5929, I was living in the area at that time, but I cannot recall Jack Woolf being on the corner of Webster Street and the High Street..I do think it may have been Foster Brothers before that, facing it would have the Wagons and Horses public house, there was a turf accounts a few door down from the Wagon in the very early 1960's, were you had to go down an entry tap on a wooden latch type door, where a hand would appear, you placed the bet in the persons hand and go back later if you won....the original hole in the wall ....
Sounds familiar Aston Lad. My grandad used to love a bet. Regards Sue

Back