• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

163 - 165 Soho Road - Handsworth Garage, despite the exotic car names on the wall, I cannot see any of them in sight although there are a fine selection of classics on view. Note the Coka Cola sign for the coffee bar and Fish and Chip shop.
I am quite tempted by the prices on offer - the BMW looks quite a steal at £599.00View attachment 155136
I actually bought a Moskvich van from here, traded in an A40.

Good afternoon I have a few business premises for you today - I have posted a few photos on Steam Locos just in case you thought I had abandoned you !!
This is 1-2 Lionel Street in 1976, Armstrong Autoparts, a van with deliveries, Yardleys music store an alladins cave for musicians and the Centro office block which apparently they used for Casualty filming, a floor was set out as a hospital ward, also note parking meters and the VW with the BRMB sticker in the window and a rust problem.

1-2 Lionel Street - 76 x.jpg

14-16 Holyhead Road in 1975, 20th Century Transport, selection of cars out front and a couple of lorries - as expected. Is that a Fiat or a LADA ? Can I also point out the petrol pump down the side and the shape of the eaves, and the chimney pots. Like the office and extension at the rear.

14-16 Holyhead Road - 75 x.jpg

Before we had the 24 / 7 society shops shut on a Sunday - this is 30 High Street Aston, which I presume was taken on a Sunday as the grill is on the newsagents and the butchers is shut. Plastic parsley in the butchers window and a neon sign, scales and a spearmint gum machine outside the newsagent -Plenty to window shop or are they waiting for the bookies? and a big pram with twins(?) with a poncho!!

30 High Street Aston- 71.jpg

Finally 5 Pershore Road from 1972, fine selection of adverts and slogans from the past, half of which we wouldn't see today. Bedford dormobile ( ? ) someone will put me right if not. and the usual clean street from that time again sash windows on the house.

5 Pershore Road - 72.jpg

Good afternoon I have a few business premises for you today - I have posted a few photos on Steam Locos just in case you thought I had abandoned you !!
This is 1-2 Lionel Street in 1976, Armstrong Autoparts, a van with deliveries, Yardleys music store an alladins cave for musicians and the Centro office block which apparently they used for Casualty filming, a floor was set out as a hospital ward, also note parking meters and the VW with the BRMB sticker in the window and a rust problem.

View attachment 155278

Attachments

• 1-2 Lionel Street - 2021.JPG
    1-2 Lionel Street - 2021.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 16
14-16 Holyhead Road in 1975, 20th Century Transport, selection of cars out front and a couple of lorries - as expected. Is that a Fiat or a LADA ? Can I also point out the petrol pump down the side and the shape of the eaves, and the chimney pots. Like the office and extension at the rear.

View attachment 155279

Attachments

• 14-16 Holyhead Road - 2021.JPG
    14-16 Holyhead Road - 2021.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 8
Before we had the 24 / 7 society shops shut on a Sunday - this is 30 High Street Aston, which I presume was taken on a Sunday as the grill is on the newsagents and the butchers is shut. Plastic parsley in the butchers window and a neon sign, scales and a spearmint gum machine outside the newsagent -Plenty to window shop or are they waiting for the bookies? and a big pram with twins(?) with a poncho!!

View attachment 155282
This was a real puzzle and I hope Lyn can tell me if I am in the right neck of the woods.

Attachments

• 30 High Street Aston- 2021.JPG
    30 High Street Aston- 2021.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 15
pjmburns....The photograph would have stood in the road or on the small pavement of the underpass wall close to where the bus shelter is ....

dont think you are far off jan but maybe one of our more knowledgable members will know for certain

lyn

Finally 5 Pershore Road from 1972, fine selection of adverts and slogans from the past, half of which we wouldn't see today. Bedford dormobile ( ? ) someone will put me right if not. and the usual clean street from that time again sash windows on the house.

View attachment 155283
Had to resort to old maps here as this area is all change. Hope this is roughly right.

Attachments

• 5 Pershore Road - 2021.JPG
    5 Pershore Road - 2021.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 5 Pershore Road - map.JPG
    5 Pershore Road - map.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

View attachment 155278
The (rotton) VW has a 'Smithfield Garage' sticker in the rear window. I may have worked on that one.

The 1965 Bedford CA Mk3 in the picture is, I am fairly sure, just a bog standard van. There is no roof extension, ruling out a camper van, and the interior is quite dark, suggesting no extra windows behind the front doors. The flashy aluminium grille was added for the Mk3, and probably the 1600 engine which was from the Victor saloon.

Last edited:
Blast from the past Newtown Shopping Centre in 1969, This is the sign on the lower wall , more of interest is all that is there and is not now. On the right hand side is a shop front, and either side of the Barton Arms are buildings, with a nice selection of cars parked on the side, also note the pram ideal for making a go- cart from the wheels

View attachment 155132

You have made the Boss's day, Steve. Her Granny lived in the tower block on the left.

Steve.

The beginning of the clip below starts with a film taken from the 53/54 bus heading along Bordesley green in 1960s towards Town. It shows Charles road on left and then the junction of Victoria street and Bordesley Green and a shot looking down Victoria street @ 18 seconds. Then it shows the old Bordesley Green post office (now demolished) and Garrison lane.

Brilliant film

RE #986. I always used to read signs when passing anywhere on buses. Don’t ask me why. Maybe it was to pass the time. But on long journeys (ie half an hour plus) I’d read the signs, habit ? Boredom ? Now this row of signs took me back to those times. Obviously you can’t do it when you drive, but if I’m on a bus nowadays I still read all the signs. No rhyme nor reason ! Viv.

86 -90 Ninevah Road in 1975, Sandwell Motor Company, with a few cars inside and by the look of the building there has been a garage there some time. Note the fine Ghost sign on the eaves of the building on the left.
Also note the lady with the shopping trolley and wicker shopping basket.
86 - 90 Ninevah Road - 75.jpg

Back