• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hobbies 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are looking for hobbies for your children (and you) at this time and are of an "arty" persuasion, you might look at this link:

No, it's not me, it's one of many copies I made of the old masters, so it's a self portrait of Rubens, the original is in Windsor castle. I've given my daughter quite a few but here in the hall I have a self portrait of Rembrandt, the front room has two Van Dykes, 'Robert Rich' the Earl of Warwick and Charles 1st standing with horse and his equerry. 'The gun salute' by Willem van de Velde the younger.

Some are oil on canvas, others I painted with Gouache which is very thick water based paint and unlike oil it dries fast.

You're a very talented man Izzy .

You're a very talented man Izzy .
Thank you William, I do have an aptitude for copying things which stood me in good stead for some of the jobs I worked at as a profession.
All those paintings were copied from old books, they are all up in the loft somewhere, I would mark the photo out in a grid pattern so I could then upscale a grid on the canvas, this was to keep proper proportions to the original.

The original painting of the Earl of Warwick (2nd photo) is in the The Metropolitan Museum of Art of New York City, 20 years ago we were exhibiting at a miniatures fair in New York and walked right across the park to the museum to find the painting. Whereas mine is about 3ft the original is around 7ft, it was awesome to look at it close up and my wife took a photo of me standing next to it but now cannot find it unfortunately

Thank you William, I do have an aptitude for copying things which stood me in good stead for some of the jobs I worked at as a profession.
All those paintings were copied from old books, they are all up in the loft somewhere, I would mark the photo out in a grid pattern so I could then upscale a grid on the canvas, this was to keep proper proportions to the original.

The original painting of the Earl of Warwick (2nd photo) is in the The Metropolitan Museum of Art of New York City, 20 years ago we were exhibiting at a miniatures fair in New York and walked right across the park to the museum to find the painting. Whereas mine is about 3ft the original is around 7ft, it was awesome to look at it close up and my wife took a photo of me standing next to it but now cannot find it unfortunately

I'll have a dabble at drawing , but I couldn't paint my version of an old master .

I came across this intriguing video, which I am sure will be of interest to those involved in colourizing, but this is to old films between 1895 to 1901 from around the world. With added colour and sound, even though they may be only guestimates, it really brings the scenes alive.

Maurice :cool:

I came across this intriguing video, which I am sure will be of interest to those involved in colourizing, but this is to old films between 1895 to 1901 from around the world. With added colour and sound, even though they may be only guestimates, it really brings the scenes alive.

Maurice, the colorizing is excellent but it is a great look at history!

Thank you!

I must admit that colourizing them would take them out of their era a bit. And likewise having first seen a coloured film that I didn't want to go back to B & W. Quite often in the days of my childhood the main feature would be in colour and the supporting one "old black & white", but once you got into the story, you soon got used to the old medium again.

Nowadays B & W gives films like the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Bogdanovich's The Last Picture Show far more realistic & believable.

I must admit that colourizing them would take them out of their era a bit. And likewise having first seen a coloured film that I didn't want to go back to B & W. Quite often in the days of my childhood the main feature would be in colour and the supporting one "old black & white", but once you got into the story, you soon got used to the old medium again.

Nowadays B & W gives films like the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Bogdanovich's The Last Picture Show far more realistic & believable.

Absolutely Maurice........in fact many still photos are being shot in B&W for the same reason. I think it is actually refreshing particularly in high resolution with the new cameras.

Needed some brain exercise yesterday so I made a pic finder/index for SteveBhx's thread. It's a pdf file and can be downloaded and saved and runs on anything .... :)
OldMohawk, the photos are great but in the format you used it is a super! I will look that up. I should be able to take directly off my SD card.
Is it a time consuming process?

Hi Richard,
The pdf file size is 7.56Mb to keep it within the forum limit of 10Mb. I use similar pdf searches within my computer for forum pics.
oldmohawk ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back