• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

William Joseph Crump

laraine

master brummie
Can anyone help me find where William Joseph Crump b1880 Aston, Birmingham, would be in the early 1920s please. He was married to Harriet Suffield, they had 3 children ( that I’ve found up to now ) , on his daughter Ada’s wedding certificate for1929 he is down as deceased. Also hoping there might be some descendants of his out there
Thank you

Do you mean Harriet Tuffield?

If so there appear to be 4 children.

Possible death registered Kings Norton, Mar qtr 1924. Age is slightly out but there's no other obvious William Joseph Crump it could be.

Last edited:
there is a william joseph crump on the 1925 electoral rolls living at 28 perrott street ladywood also living there is herbert john webb..cant be certain if this is your william crump though

He is probably a distant relative to me, My family tree does show William J Crump born 8/5/1884 this was MY grandfather he married M B Fowes, my Grandma, they were from Smethwick and went to the USA in the early 1900s A.J.W Crump now in Colorado USA

On the marriage cert for Harriet Tuffield her spouse is listed as just Joseph not William Joseph. In 1911 Harriet and Joseph seem to be living at separate addresses.
The address on Ada's marriage cert is 18 Gladstone Terrace, St Andrews Road which is the address "Joseph" is living at on the 1911 census with his Father and various siblings plus his daughter Ada (5). Harriet and Elizabeth May (7) and William Joseph (2) are at 3 Victoria Terrace Westley Street.
In 1920 "Joseph" is on the e roll at 18 Gladstone Terrace.

Do you mean Harriet Tuffield?

If so there appear to be 4 children.

Possible death registered Kings Norton, Mar qtr 1924. Age is slightly out but there's no other obvious William Joseph Crump it could be.
Yes sorry Tuffield, slip on the keypad ! Four children, so I have William Joseph Jnr, Ada & Elizabeth May, who is the other please I haven’t come across them. I have seen that death for Joseph 1924 I think I’ll order the certificate. Thanks for your help

there is a william joseph crump on the 1925 electoral rolls living at 28 perrott street ladywood also living there is herbert john webb..cant be certain if this is your william crump though
Thanks Astoness, appreciated

On the marriage cert for Harriet Tuffield her spouse is listed as just Joseph not William Joseph. In 1911 Harriet and Joseph seem to be living at separate addresses.
The address on Ada's marriage cert is 18 Gladstone Terrace, St Andrews Road which is the address "Joseph" is living at on the 1911 census with his Father and various siblings plus his daughter Ada (5). Harriet and Elizabeth May (7) and William Joseph (2) are at 3 Victoria Terrace Westley Street.
In 1920 "Joseph" is on the e roll at 18 Gladstone Terrace.
Hi there, yes I found that quite odd, I’d seen the 1911 census for both of them at different addresses, I hadn’t seen Joseph on the 1920 electoral roll, thank you so much for that, was he there with Harriet do you know ?

He is probably a distant relative to me, My family tree does show William J Crump born 8/5/1884 this was MY grandfather he married M B Fowes, my Grandma, they were from Smethwick and went to the USA in the early 1900s A.J.W Crump now in Colorado USA
We’ve only just discovered the Crump side, through the wonders of DNA we have found that William Joseph Crump b1880 is my gt grandfather so I’m after anything I can find out about him. Looks like they might be cousins of some kind. Thanks very much for your help

There is a birth registered in 1912 of an Edward with mmn Tuffield.
Name:​
Mother's Maiden Surname:​
CRUMP, EDWARD TUFFIELD
GRO Reference: 1912 S Quarter in ASTON Volume 06D Page 413

No Harriet on 1920 e roll but I need to check if she would have had the vote then.

Last edited:
I have just checked and there are 2 Harriet Crump on the 1920 reg but I have no idea which might be your Harriet. On the baptism of their son William Joseph the address is 6 Wes(t)ley Street - where Harriet was in 1911.

William Joseph marries a Violet Baldwin but doesn't seem to have any children. She dies in 1950 after which it's possible he (listed as Joseph W) is living with Edward in Herbert Road (1950-65). They appear to be only 2 listed there (from search results only).

There's no obvious marriage for Edward.

I thought she married Martin Parkes in Oct 1939 - marriage as Elizabeth M. Without certs no idea - too late for Birmingham online marriages which stop at 1937.

I think she's the Elizabeth M Crump born 1919. She's listed at Rea St (before marriage) in 1939 as Parkes, Crump.

I have just checked and there are 2 Harriet Crump on the 1920 reg but I have no idea which might be your Harriet. On the baptism of their son William Joseph the address is 6 Wes(t)ley Street - where Harriet was in 1911.

Harriet appears to be still living in Westley St in 1939, she seems to remarry Joseph Smallwood in 1928.

And Edward is there also, surname isn't listed properly on transcript.

William Joseph marries a Violet Baldwin but doesn't seem to have any children. She dies in 1950 after which it's possible he (listed as Joseph W) is living with Edward in Herbert Road (1950-65). They appear to be only 2 listed there (from search results only).

There's no obvious marriage for Edward.
Thank you so much for your help, there's a lot to get my teeth into now, so Harriet remarrys, I'm guessing the death I found for Joseph Crump in 1924 is William Joseph Crump, have sent for the certificate so will find out then.

Harriet appears to be still living in Westley St in 1939, she seems to remarry Joseph Smallwood in 1928.

And Edward is there also, surname isn't listed properly on transcript.
Thank you, I will check all this out

Thank you for your help
I thought she married Martin Parkes in Oct 1939 - marriage as Elizabeth M. Without certs no idea - too late for Birmingham online marriages which stop at 1937.
thank you for your help

The funny thing about the name "CRUMP" It is not that common a name, When I moved to the USA in 1957 I was interested in Jazz music, There was a LosAngeles California Radio jazz station, they had a disc jockey name Don CRUMP!! Well, I called the station and talked to him one day, told him I was a "CRUMP" Oh he said, he and his family are from the south USA they own several restaurants there, so I said "Well you could be a relative then" he said probably not, our family is Negros!! or Blacks, as they are now, called. Apparently, slave owners. raped their slaves and their children took the last surname of the owner.

Last edited:
Back