• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Re #90 above:-
In 1840 the partnership was recorded at 36 Loveday Street trading as gun and pistol makers; at least some of the guns sold were marked Moore & Harris, London (these were proved in London). By 1859 in Birmingham, Moore & Harris had expanded into barrel and lock making and in 1861 they moved to the Great Western Gun Works at 91 Constitution Hill.

Good afternoon

I have a few cafes for you today - I use the word loosely as some I wouldn't go near !!
First up is Football joes cafe which is an Irish Maltese cafe apparently. Love the Pepsi sign and the fact they offer B& B

Attachments

• 14B Warwick Road 74.jpg
    14B Warwick Road 74.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 99
Now we have 92 Queens Head Road in 1975 this time with a nice Rover 2000 (?) I hate to say these things and have people take it as gospel.
This is Freds Cafe note the Twinings sign, the few slates missing off the bay out the back and the lampost

Attachments

• 92 Queens Head Road - 75 x.jpg
    92 Queens Head Road - 75 x.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 80
This is the Lucky Star Cafe, Victoria Street in 1974 - you wouldn't would you. It does look like they are working down the street demolishing as they go. Is that a garage and church out the back and also note the metal rubbish bins that weight as much empty as they would full. and the little Mini of course

Attachments

• 102 Victoria Street - 74.jpg
    102 Victoria Street - 74.jpg
    647.4 KB · Views: 114
Now we have 92 Queens Head Road in 1975 this time with a nice Rover 2000 (?) I hate to say these things and have people take it as gospel.
This is Freds Cafe note the Twinings sign, the few slates missing off the bay out the back and the lampost
Rover3500. I only know because it says on the front!

Good afternoon

I have a few cafes for you today - I use the word loosely as some I wouldn't go near !!
First up is Football joes cafe which is an Irish Maltese cafe apparently. Love the Pepsi sign and the fact they offer B& B
Took ages to locate this and I am including 2 views. Comes up as B11 but is on Warwick Road near the junction with Stratford Road.
14B Warwick Road 2018.JPG
14B Warwick Road 2020.JPG

Last edited:
It’s interesting that some cafes have been changed to housing - they may even have started out as residential, That happened to a cafe my mum had in Selly Oak. It was a corner plot popular with Birmingham Uni students. After she sold up it was converted to residential. Viv.

great pics steve...thanks jan if you are able could you add the areas of the photos as sometimes there are more than one st or road of the same name...thanks jan

lyn

This is the Lucky Star Cafe, Victoria Street in 1974 - you wouldn't would you. It does look like they are working down the street demolishing as they go. Is that a garage and church out the back and also note the metal rubbish bins that weight as much empty as they would full. and the little Mini of course
Victoria Street Small Heath/Bordesley Green. No idea what the church-like building is.
Had to resort to an old map to identify the site - opposite the Baptist Church.
1612543662884.png

I assume this chapel was the Baptist Church.
1612543737746.png

Last edited:
Evening all,
few more pictures for you 26 Poplar Road from 1974, this used to be Martins Grocery Stores according to the pealing sign, noted the Masons soft drink sign and and the window adverts, especially Ross frozen food. I also like the Cadbury and Tizer window panes

Attachments

• 26 Poplar Road - 74.jpg
    26 Poplar Road - 74.jpg
    798.8 KB · Views: 73
On the other corner at 28 Poplar Road we have another grocery store, with the scales outside to weigh the veg, a little senior service sign and an enamel Nestle milk sign high up on the wall, also not the Pembroke Avenue carved panel on the wall.

Attachments

• 28 Poplar Road -74.jpg
    28 Poplar Road -74.jpg
    672.5 KB · Views: 46
On the other corner at 28 Poplar Road we have another grocery store, with the scales outside to weigh the veg, a little senior service sign and an enamel Nestle milk sign high up on the wall, also not the Pembroke Avenue carved panel on the wall.
Took ages to find this - I think it is Poplar Road Sparkhill and it is actually Primrose Ave
This is 1940 directory but the addresses and Avenue fit so will now search for there.
1612786031330.png

1612786287318.png

Evening all,
few more pictures for you 26 Poplar Road from 1974, this used to be Martins Grocery Stores according to the pealing sign, noted the Masons soft drink sign and and the window adverts, especially Ross frozen food. I also like the Cadbury and Tizer window panes
This view shows 26 and 28 Poplar Road Sparkhill. In between is Primrose Avenue
1612786398387.png

This is 31 Fallows Road from 1974, tidy little corner shop with a Corona rubbish bin outside, and a selection of goods stacked in the window. See also no. 33 a tiny little terrace house with a bay window.
33 is probably standard width (made to look small by size of the shop) - our terraced cottage is very similar. It probably goes back a long way - one room into another then a hall and then, originally, the scullery.
1612786805275.png

I am afraid we only have half the pub in this one Coach and Horse on and in Bordesley Green, you can just make out the Ansells sign on the end wall, nice etched glass windows, and a lamp over the door. Nice Vauxhall Viva, dad had one but only the 2 door so we had to climb in !

Coach and Horses Bordesley Green 82.jpg

I know how we have had a few of this pub, Tyburn House now with the name on the side, I had to check what the difference was

This is another view of the Tyburn House this time with the name on the side, funnily enough this also has a Vauxhall Viva in the car park, taken in 1974, again with the leaded windows
Tyburn House 74.jpg

Final one for today Wylde Green Pub on the Birmingham Road, location depends on where you live, some say Sutton Coldfield, Some Wylde Green and some call it Erdington!! In all its mock finery, due to be / if not already demolished. Fine brickwork, leaded windows and a fine bowling green next door
Wylde Green PH Birmingham Road.jpg

Just a quick request as I have posted these in the new style which is preferable thumbnail or Full size, not sure if it makes a difference to you storage wise
thanks
Steve

Back