• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Good afternoon, 149 Soho Road in 1975, traditional hardware store, windows full of goods and selection of brooms in a stand, sewing machine shop next door. Looks like the top floor is out of use. Note the 3 eras of Vauxhall cars first two on the left and the one on the right

Attachments

• 149 Soho Road - 2021.jpg
    149 Soho Road - 2021.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
377 Soho Road in 1975, Withers newsagents, plenty of name signs, on the side wall is a newspaper board for the Express and Star, two boards in the front window to place your postcard to sell your goods. Upstairs we have sash windows and net curtains, also like the child in the pushchair

Attachments

• 377 Soho Road - 2021.jpg
    377 Soho Road - 2021.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
If Stevebhx and Janice ageee, I’d like to copy the images where there are signs/ghost signs to our Ghost Signs thread as it may help us in the future in deciphering existing signs that are spotted by members, Viv.

If Stevebhx and Janice ageee, I’d like to copy the images where there are signs/ghost signs to our Ghost Signs thread as it may help us in the future in deciphering existing signs that are spotted by members, Viv.
Viv - I am just using Streetview to show the "now" of Steve's s photos. As far as I am concerned they can be moved wherever is best for them on the forum.

uncles butchers shop was at no 67..black door white car outside...it would have been there at the same time that steves photo was taken..so near yet so far...

39 Fordhouse Lane from 1970, not an amazing view but a fine selection of cars. There is a bit of stained glass in the bay window of the first house and some lovely chimney pots
Steve, was this in fact the car park at the Wilmot Breeden factory, worked there in mid 1960's and it looks familiar.

I will try and check. I remember it as a factory but can't remember what it was. The present offices look newish. Seem to be part of Lifford Park a small industrial estate.

Phone book just puts "Fordhouse Lane" with no number. A look at the maps shows no other place the factory could be so your memory looks right.

It was often referred to as the "brush works". Which would have been an activity previous to Wilmot Breeden who were suppliers to the motor industry. Taken over by Rockwell in 1970's.

Re post #53 .........does this help? I've stretched the image x3 horizontally.

Attachments

• 1612267336821.jpeg
    1612267336821.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 72

Happy for you to move / copy where ever you like - thanks for asking. This may mean something to you on the forum, there is / was a lady at UCI / BCU ( next to Millenium point) who was interested in ghost sign she borrowed these photos years ago, also shop fonts, no there is no "r" missing- fonts .

uncles butchers shop was at no 67..black door white car outside...it would have been there at the same time that steves photo was taken..so near yet so far...

Not promising but I am doing corners there may be a shop front somewhere.

It was often referred to as the "brush works". Which would have been an activity previous to Wilmot Breeden who were suppliers to the motor industry. Taken over by Rockwell in 1970's.
apologies I just hold the photos, I am a North side of the City person actually I only know about the south as I used to work in the planning department.

Re post #53 .........does this help? I've stretched the image x3 horizontally.
This is not meant as an insult but its like a magic picture if you squint and close one eye I am sure it will come into focus - I could never do those pictures by the way, I am sure if we ever worked it out we would all go " Oh I can see it now" thanks for the time taken

oh wow steve i cant thank you enough this will mean so much to my family i already have a couple of photos of their shop in ladypool road...thank you so much

lyn
I suddenly thought we are looking at 71 so 69 must be the other corner and I had scanned it already
glad you enjoyed it

I suddenly thought we are looking at 71 so 69 must be the other corner and I had scanned it already
glad you enjoyed it

busy passing it around the family steve..so glad i stick by saying they are out there somewhere

lyn

oh wow steve i cant thank you enough this will mean so much to my family i already have a couple of photos of their shop in ladypool road...thank you so much

lyn
extreme long shot what number Ladypool Road? - dont think I could do it twice!

Back