• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

VICARAGE ROAD ASTON

No School run them days Lyn....probably cars belonging to some of the school teachers and employees of Ansells......Great Photos .....

First photo - I've never seen that many cars parked on a road in a b & w photo.
At first I thought it might be Sunday (morning) but it was, apparently a Monday.
You can usually recognise an Aston Street as the road name plates were different to the more fancy style of Birmingham.

No School run them days Lyn....probably cars belonging to some of the school teachers and employees of Ansells......Great Photos .....

i know john that was said in jest...we walked to school in those days lol..but yes you are probably right about where the cars came from...all the best

lyn

Pic 3 interested me. Corner shop on left was run by Doreen's (my late Wife's) Aunt Ann, a general purpose/grocery shop opposite the Girls school Aston manor who came in for sweets, pop etc, I am talking now of the 40/50's, we lived in a back to back first entry down from the shop (1/128) from 1956 when I came out of the RAF until 1961 when we bought our house in Erdington in 1961. Aunt Ann's husband was locally known as 'Holy Joe' for his religious beliefs. MY mother in Law lived at 4/128 until the mid 60's when they were demolished, they were moved to a flat in Upper Thomas street. The Girls school was were my Wife was educated, she left in 1942. Happy days and fond memories. Hard to believe it was over 60 years ago. Eric

eric its amazing how old photos stir the memories glad they bought back happy days for you ..the road was still there in 1971...most likely all gone by the mid 70s

lyn

Pedrocut, your map covers 3 places where I lived, (1) 1/69 Queens road, 1st entry down from the brewery where I was born 1930 left 1935 (2) 84 Queens road, opposite where I was born where I went to live with my gran in 1943 when my mother died in Shirley until I joined the RAF 1948 and (3) as I stated in my last post 1/128 Vicarage road 1956 till 1961. I will down load that map, mark the 3 locations and put it with my Family History file. Thanks. Eric

Pedrocut, your map covers 3 places where I lived, (1) 1/69 Queens road, 1st entry down from the brewery where I was born 1930 left 1935 (2) 84 Queens road, opposite where I was born where I went to live with my gran in 1943 when my mother died in Shirley until I joined the RAF 1948 and (3) as I stated in my last post 1/128 Vicarage road 1956 till 1961. I will down load that map, mark the 3 locations and put it with my Family History file. Thanks. Eric

Hi Eric, sorry I'm new to this. My dad lived at 10 Bk 79 Vicarage Road, from 1926 till about 1944. Can you point out exactly where that house would have been on the map? You may have known my dad or my family, they were the Benton family. There was Arthur, Frank, Amy and my dad Ron.

Craig B, your Dad would have lived about 6 houses down from the school on the same side (odd numbers) but I'm sure Mike G the map expert will put a map on showing the exact location. I cannot recall your family. My entry was opposite the school (even numbers) first entry down from Sycamore Rd Eric

Last edited:
Craig B, your Dad would have lived about 6 houses down from the school on the same side (odd numbers) but I'm sure Mike G the map expert will put a map on showing the exact location. I cannot recall your family. My entry was opposite the school (even numbers) first entry down from Sycamore Rd Eric

Thanks Eric, I take it that all of the old houses were flattened? My granddad worked at the goods railway yard apparently at the bottom of the road, but these were all stories my dad told me as a kid, he spoke about large horses stabled at the railway yard and also watching Villa from the road, or bedroom window. I'd love to see photos of the surrounding area where he played as a kid etc or went to school, he passed in 94.

Grosvenor Rd runs from Aston Hall Rd cutting through bottom of Queens Rd to Lichfield Rd, parallel to Lovers Walk and the railway. My Dads favourite pub, The Grosvenor was there. Eric

Grosvenor Rd runs from Aston Hall Rd cutting through bottom of Queens Rd to Lichfield Rd, parallel to Lovers Walk and the railway. My Dads favourite pub, The Grosvenor was there. Eric
Eric, thank you.............I was born on Alfred St at my nans then we moved to Grosvenor Rd, do not remember the number.

richard i have got some photos of alfred st... pretty sure ive not posted them before ..cant be certain until i look but i dont think we have a thread for alfred st..if not i could start one and post them for you?

lyn

richard i have got some photos of alfred st... pretty sure ive not posted them before ..cant be certain until i look but i dont think we have a thread for alfred st..if not i could start one and post them for you?

lyn
lyn, that would be very much appreciated!

Thanks Mike, I was certainly wrong, I'd assumed the numbering went down towards Queens Rd whereas they went up ! Eric

Back