• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ward End buildings

Maitland Hall - currently a Conservative Club. Apparently used for musical events way back in 1968, but that is about all I can find. Has this place got any historical significance, does anyone know?

Maurice

The Fox and Goose is where we gathered to be picked up for our games for the Old Saltleians Rugby Club, back when only one or two of the players owned cars

Hi Maurice,

I think Maitland Hall has been a Conservative club for a very long time. I remember that when I worked for
R. Whites in the late 60s/early 70s they were a customer, and I'm pretty sure it was a Conservative C;ub
then.

Kind regards
Dave

Thanks, Dave, when I can find a few spare minutes I will see if there is any age to the building on the censuses.

Maurice

the Building looks very old to me got to be late 1880s or early 1900s
It appears late Victorian and probably was a wealthy owners home before becoming the Club.
I guess the initials W.H.& W.E.C & U.C. Ltd. were applied at a later date during the clubs ownership.

This thread has a fair bit about the house, and Ward End.

i was a secret lemonade drinker,untill i stood on the dog in the dark :oops:

Last edited:
Any idea of year of fox and goose ¿
pre 1914......

Formerly known as the Golden Cross, it was a coaching inn known to have been in existence from at least 1680. The origin of its earlier name may simply relate to its position at a crossroads and the fact that the inn sign was painted gold. It is not an uncommon pub name.
It is not known why the name was changed, but the Ordnance Survey map of 1887 shows it as the Fox & Goose Hotel. Fox & Goose is a common pub name and may relate to medieval tales about Reynard the Fox. Reynard sometimes represented the devil in his hunt for human souls, sometimes he is representative of the clergy leading their parishioners away to be devoured. The name may also derive from 'Fox & Geese

1572090911319.png
Another of the Fox & Goose but in summertime and with far more people to be seen..
The photo in post 24 seems a pre WW2 one an as tramcar 217 was withdrawn by 1939 it is obviously before then. No cars on the forecourt also suggest earlier times.
This post looks newer , but again no cars on the forecourt. In 1928 BCT bought fifty more new trams. 762 - 811 all of which were fitted with bow collectors and used on the 8 Alum Rock and 10 Washwood Heath routes. The older four wheel trams with trolley pole did run on the 10 but generally only at rush periods. Curiously the last tram on route 10, on the 30th. September, 1950, was 357, similar to the one in this photo with trolley pole.

View attachment 138532
Another of the Fox & Goose but in summertime and with far more people to be seen..
The photo in post 24 seems a pre WW2 one an as tramcar 217 was withdrawn by 1939 it is obviously before then. No cars on the forecourt also suggest earlier times.
This post looks newer , but again no cars on the forecourt. In 1928 BCT bought fifty more new trams. 762 - 811 all of which were fitted with bow collectors and used on the 8 Alum Rock and 10 Washwood Heath routes. The older four wheel trams with trolley pole did run on the 10 but generally only at rush periods. Curiously the last tram on route 10, on the 30th. September, 1950, was 357, similar to the one in this photo with trolley pole.
thanks alan

If i remember correctly while at school at Hodge Hill Comp, Bromford Lane police station was built on a council rubbish tip before becoming a Police Station,pre 1967/8, i stand corrected

Back