• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alma Street, Six Ways, Aston

yes mike
wrigleys introduce the automatic machines out side certain shops whom the owners thought it might be an good idea
but the truth of the matter they never really took off at old 6d pence piece
Drop your tanner in the top and it delivered your gum
the last time i seen one of these machines on an out side news agent was on the parade by the kingedwards pub
and the parade later became summer hill
the time of the period i am speaking of is the 1955 / 56 and i beleive then they was getting scareced in decline
from out side shop,s . best wishes Astonian,,, Alan,,,

Re the Alma St - Coronation Picture - post #173.
Attached is a possible list of a few names for people in the picture.

alma_street_celebrations_1953 - Copy.jpg
Index to names in post.

1 Mr Jennings

2 Mrs Jennings

3 Shirley Jennings

4 Mrs Proudman - Shop Owner

5 Twins (6&7) Mother

6 Twin

7 Twin

8 Edward Jennings?

9 Jean Jennings

10 Maureen Fox

11 Roslyn Nelson?

12 Mother of 13

13 Daughter of 12.

Original Picture from post #173
alma_street_celebrations_1953.jpg

smashing photos of alma st...most i have not seen before...cant see the one of harry glover though...

lyn

Last edited:
smashing photos of alma st...most i have not seen before...cant see the one of harry glover though...

lyn

He's on the chimney stack and the item is below the photograph. If you are viewing on a PC it's in the 2nd column but if on a smaller screen the page collapses to fit so will be lower down the page. I haven't posted anything for ages as summer means riding my bike! But with winter looming I'll have to do a bit of pub history.

viewing via pc so i will go and take another look...looking forward to reading more pub history...great site you have there

lyn

Thanks Lyn, as I type, I'm doing a tiny bit on The Leopard in Allison Street, a pub that nobody else seems to have mentioned in books!

thats great kieron...look forward to reading about it..think there was a pub of that name in gt hampton st but would need to double check that

lyn

Post 241 is at the top of the page on my pc. At first I thought we were talking of Santa Claus :D (he's on top of the chimney) then looking further into this I discovered it was an early Birmingham version of Fred Dibnah. I wonder if Henry was as 'colourful' as Fred?

Re the Alma St - Coronation Picture - post #173.
Attached is a possible list of a few names for people in the picture.

View attachment 117200
Index to names in post.

1 Mr Jennings

2 Mrs Jennings

3 Shirley Jennings

4 Mrs Proudman - Shop Owner

5 Twins (6&7) Mother

6 Twin

7 Twin

8 Edward Jennings?

9 Jean Jennings

10 Maureen Fox

11 Roslyn Nelson?

12 Mother of 13

13 Daughter of 12.

Original Picture from post #173
View attachment 117199

Hi, the lady on the right holding a cake, standing under the Lyons sign is Mrs Ivy Bradbury who owned the sweet shop no 39 Alma St, the lady next to her is Mrs Beaty Asbury

[/QUOTE.
Wow!!! how lovely to see your dear Nan Mrs Herbert and your grandad. God bless them. I do not recall ever seeing your grandad in the shop he was always in the back room.
The shop was always so clean and well stocked.
The aroma of dinner cooking was usually in the air. I would imagine your Nan was a good cook.

I recall having homemade ice cream from the shop. It was absolutely delicious! On special occasions my mom would send me up for tub butter. It was quite expensive so I only asked for a quarter.

I used to do a little shopping for our next door neighbour Mrs Hilda Moore. I think your Nan knew her quite well. They were probably around the same age.
One of Mrs moore’s Son’s played in Joe Loss’s orchestra. I think his name was Don but not sure of his surname as Mrs Moore had remarried.
Anyway Mrs Moore would usually give me 6d for doing the shopping. Not only did I earn 6d but your lovely Nan would give me a bag of Everbody’s Mixture sweets, she didn’t weigh them but there was a good quarter. How lovely was that? A lovely, lovely lady.
I also remember Mrs Herbert’s daughter Doris. They were the image of each other!

I lived at 125 Alma Street next to the Alma Tavern.
There is a photo of the Alma Tavern on this site and you can see the back of me leaning through the door of our house. I’m probably saying mom there’s someone with a camera over the road. I bet they were waiting there for ages to get a good shot of the pub and M&B van no traffic passing etc; then I came along!
I have lots of wonderful memories of living in Alma Street. I am very proud of where I grew up. We left in November 1967 when I was 13 years old.

Thank you so much for sharing the photo.
Regards Linda

thanks mike so if that is a little jennings girl at the door then please step forward....mike could i have a map please showing where the alma tavern was in relationship to the salutation pub i have always wondered just how close to each other they were..

thanks mike no rush

lyn
Hello there, I am Linda Jennings the little girl at the door!

hi linda is this the first time you have seen that photo of yourself in the doorway?

lyn

hi linda is this the first time you have seen that photo of yourself in the doorway?

lyn
Hi Lyn I did see the photo sometime ago and did respond somewhere on this site. I cannot express how happy I was to see it as my family have no photos of 125 Alma Street.
I’m not sure of the exact date when we moved into the house. I know it would have been November or December 1956. We lived there until late November 1967. Myself, brother and sister had a wonderful childhood in that lovely little house. We were all so very happy there.
How I miss those times. I doubt there is a day that passes without me talking about Alma Street for one reason or another!

Regards
Linda

hi linda i thought you had seen it before i seem to remember you posting....i totally understand how you feel about alma st...i feel exactly the same way about villa st where i grew up..eldest of 6 children and like most we did not have a lot but we never went short of the important things...fantastic happy childhood and i would not have swapped it for all the tea in china :)

lyn

Last edited:
Bevan in alma street

my familly lived at 66 alma street .there were 11 of us the bevan and khannon family does anyone remember us all .
i lived at 67 alma street my dad ran the barbers shop from 1953 to1958 . does any one remember the shop before that my grandfather ran it as a cycle shop .

I am sure I have seen another photo - but not the same as this one - with the shop that renovated wringers.
I wonder how many here have never had, seen or used a wringer? :D

Do you mean a mangle, or is that just a southern term?
I was only quoting what was on the shop window Mike. Yes mangle or wringer were used for laundering but I believe wringer was a more modern word and it was more specific. Mangle has more than one meaning, you can mangle objects ( i.e. severely damage) beside it being used to describe removing water from washing.

Mangle and wringer are now two of those words that have fallen almost out of use. We used both, but tended to call the big cast iron one mangles and the smaller ones wringers.

There was a lady around the corner who had a giant cast iron mangle with wooden rollers. We would tighten up the big nut on the top, so when she wrung out a shirt it would smash the buttons to bits.

Mrs. Jones she had a mangle
She did turn it with a handle
She did turn it with such pow'r
She did forty sheets an hour.

Did you ever see
Did you ever saw
Did you ever see such a funny thing before?

There's a little pub in Wales
Where they sell the best of ales
If you want a drink on Sunday
You will have to wait till Monday.

Oh I had a brother Rupert
He did play full back for Newport
But whilst playing at Llanelly
They did kick him in the belly.

Oh I had a brother Ikey
Who did ride a motor bikey
And he said he rode to Gower
In a quarter of an hour.

Then I had a sister Phyllis
Who did work at Pontardulais
But the boss he had to sack her
'Cos he caught her chewing 'bacca.

Oh I had a brother Trevor
He was very, very clever
He could play upon the fiddle
Up the sides and down the middle.

Oh I had a sister Anna
She did play the grand pianna
When she played full presto
All the buttons fly off her vesto

I was only quoting what was on the shop window Mike. Yes mangle or wringer were used for laundering but I believe wringer was a more modern word and it was more specific. Mangle has more than one meaning, you can mangle objects ( i.e. severely damage) beside it being used to describe removing water from washing.
thats a mangle. if you wonder why its called that. stick your hand in it you will see why.

Attachments

• PETES  spindryer.jpg
    PETES spindryer.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 17
  • wringer.jpg
    wringer.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Mangle and wringer are now two of those words that have fallen almost out of use. We used both, but tended to call the big cast iron one mangles and the smaller ones wringers.

There was a lady around the corner who had a giant cast iron mangle with wooden rollers. We would tighten up the big nut on the top, so when she wrung out a shirt it would smash the buttons to bits.
Correct, semantics again but apparently for the reason you mentioned, wringer was more sympathetic to the clothes, you are spot on, mangles did just that, the reason the rich had detachable buttons and cufflinks, there was a book I am sure that traces the history of laundering etc.
Bob

1565465029849.png

Well, Lyn, brewus, that's a new word for me.
Looking it up I see is an abbreviation for brewhouse - it says usually pronounced brewus. My only experience of seeing washing done was with a gas copper boiler, twin tub washing machines and of course the more up to date front loaders.
I have not been that conversant with wash days but now and again, childbirth and illness, has meant that I had to fathom out how to operate the machinery! :laughing:
Also in the mail was this lovely photo.

Back