• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alma Street, Six Ways, Aston

hi angela sorry i cant help re the teachers name...i was born in 53 and went to alma st round about 1957/8...i was only there for about 6 months or so then we moved..yes please to the bartons arms postcard...could you post that under the bartons arms thread please..

thanks angela....

lyn

hi angela sorry i cant help re the teachers name...i was born in 53 and went to alma st round about 1957/8...i was only there for about 6 months or so then we moved..yes please to the bartons arms postcard...could you post that under the bartons arms thread please..

thanks angela....

lyn
I have put it under Bartons Arms thread. How things have changed from that photo.

thanks angela and i agree with you...so much change and not all for the best in my opinion... dont be alarmed when you see the burlington school photos are no longer on this thread as i said i will re post them under burl st school thread tomorrow and delete them from this thread..

lyn

thanks angela and i agree with you...so much change and not all for the best in my opinion... dont be alarmed when you see the burlington school photos are no longer on this thread as i said i will re post them under burl st school thread tomorrow and delete them from this thread..

lyn
I think the same to Lyn, my mom hated the flats that was put up when the houses came down, everyone moved out to different areas or into flats, all that community spirit and everyone knowing each other gone. My Grandad got moved to Reynolds House. I'm not keen on Birmingham City Centre either once they changed all the bull ring back in the 90's, I remember having to bus it into work all the changes and all the bus route changes it was a nightmare. I was wondering do you have anything on Tennant Street, Cregoe Street and Essington Street, Ladywood, my dad's side of the family lived around there, the Fowlers they was Chimney Sweeps, the oldest Sweeps in Birmingham.

View attachment 108205
No problem. My mom was born in 1949, she might be about 8 or 9 on the picture. Mom remembers a doctor Humpheries to, maybe someone may remember him.
I remember Doctor Humphries and a Doctor Mott, they shared a surgery in Gerrard Street, Lozells. Dr. Humphries was a balding short rotund man. I can also remember going to the surgery and sitting on the hard wooden chairs or bench waiting for your turn to see the Doctor.

We must have been neighbours. I was a 'nipper' in the 30's ,and remember the bomb. Also I was a barman for a while at the Sally. I lived in Alma St No 65 and left before the bulldozers gave it a facelift. I wasn't impressed with what replaced the area when I lasted visited, a great pity!! only memories left of the good and bad times.

interesting snippet pedrocut. today a collision like that would not make the papers but in those days with very little traffic on the roads it was big news

lyn

Hi Lyn, I have shown my mom the picture of the street party, she can recognise a few people as she's struggling with her eyes at the moment, she's got to have surgery to sort cataract. She said that Ivy Bradbury is on the picture she ran a sweet shop. She also can see Mr Proudman is on the picture she can also can see her sister Patricia on the picture. My mom remembers a grocery shop run by two older sisters Edith and Alice. Also Irene's fashion Shop next to 55 her house. Harry Archer the fruit and veg shop. She also said there was a toyshop and a post office. A second hand shop called byfields. She doesn't remember the Ashfords. Hope this helps x
Ivy and Les Bradbury seemed to have a lot of stock for a tiny front room shop. Ivy used to make toffee apples in the brew house and wouldn't let us in in case we learned her secret recipe. She had a little terrier called tiny who alerted her if a customer came in the shop and she was in the back. We lived at 41 next door.

A pic that was on before but maybe lost. I stood at that bus stop many times and travelled over Six Ways hundreds of times in buses and cars and although I can
remember the bank, the library and the pub, I can't remember Hedges Corner at all !
I love this pic so much it is my wallpaper on my laptop now so thank you.

Glad to oblige. Alma Tavern in red , Salutation in blue on this map c 1950

map_c_1950_Alma_St_showing_the_Alma_Tavern_and_the__Salutation.jpg
Seeing this from Mikejee, my wife's family lived at No 9 Whitehead St (next to the factory) until everything was demolished in 1967 and I've often wondered what happened to Nos 11, 13 & 15 . Also, opposite was open ground with a petrol station on it. Could it have been due to WWII bombing? Would be interested if anyone has any memories or could shed any information.

There were certainly buildings there pre-war, so that probably was the cause

Attachments

• map c 1937 showing whitehead st.jpg
    map c 1937 showing whitehead st.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 24
I'm sure Astoness will be delighted to see we have a member connected with the shop in the photo she posted Paul. Thanks. Viv.

Back