• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells Road, Shops, Pubs, Businesses etc

Hi Astoness,

I remember my Nan used to buy chitlings, brains, pigs feet, tripe etc for my Grandad but, she always got hers from Lens (Pritchard) Butchers in George Street, Lozells. Then when Nan passed away I inherited the job as I was a butcher at Thomsons (Lichfield Road & Aston Cross).

Lozellian

hi lozellian how well i remember len prichards his shop was just a couple of mins from where i lived in villa st and we did use his shop for our meat...cant be certain on this but i think his son colin took over for a short while.. in 73 i bumped into him but by this time he had his own shop and for life of me i cant remember where it was but we used to get the ox cheek from him for our newfoundland dog

lyn

hi lozellian how well i remember len prichards his shop was just a couple of mins from where i lived in villa st and we did use his shop for our meat...cant be certain on this but i think his son colin took over for a short while.. in 73 i bumped into him but by this time he had his own shop and for life of me i cant remember where it was but we used to get the ox cheek from him for our newfoundland dog

lyn

Hi Astoness,

You're right in respect of Lens son whose name was Colin because Len (for some reason) always used to call me Colin. I actually bought his old bicycle off him when I was around 13. My parents and I regularly used to meet up with Len & Lou when we went fishing on the Trent & Mersey canal at Fradley junction just outside Lichfield.

how strange is that as my aunt and uncle had a caravan at fradley junction...i used to spend a lot of weekends there...

how strange is that as my aunt and uncle had a caravan at fradley junction...i used to spend a lot of weekends there...

Hi Astoness, That's amazing really (what a small world it is) as we also used to meet up with Len & Lou at the Plough Inn at Whittington (near Lichfield just off the A38), and a family friend of my parents had a caravan on the River Mease at Harlaston (Near Tamworth) where we also used to go to fish & swim in the summer months.

Lozellian.

yes it is a small world lozellian...we caught the midland red 110 from the back of the fire station i think...that dropped us off on the main road to lichfield ..no bus service to fradley junction then or now so it was a long walk off the bus down the country lane to get there stopping every so often to collect blackberries if they were in season so that aunt could make a pie...very happy days indeed

lyn

a few photos of lozells road shops...had a quick look and i think most of them are new to this thread...someone mentioned foster bros earlier which you can see on the corner of pic 3 on the left of that pic is the bell inn and on the right the lozells inn..both building are still there but as you would expect no longer pubs...the lozells inn is also showing on pic 5 next to baines bakery and also showing on the left on pic 4View attachment 131542View attachment 131543View attachment 131544View attachment 131545View attachment 131546

lyn

The last photo shows my mother's cousin's husbands butcher's shop, Fred Devey.

Here's one for those of us over seventy....Anyone remember the Dentist....Mr. WIDDOWSON! OMG! He scared me to death, he had hands like huge hams, and gave me nightmares. His surgery was somewhere at the top, near Heathfield Road. Gerry

hi gerry...was the dentists actually on the lozells road ? if so on which side of the road going towards heathfield road

lyn

hi gerry...was the dentists actually on the lozells road ? if so on which side of the road going towards heathfield road

lyn
Hi. I was a very small boy, but I remember going from my Nan's house in Heathfield Road, walking up toward Lozells on the right hand side, turning at the top to the right, and the Villa Cross cinema was over on the other side of the road, then along there on the right was the Dentist! A very dark old house, reminded me in later life of: 10, Rillington Place!

hi gerry going on your directions and if you had to walk past the villa cross cinema the dentists would have been on villa road not lozells road as lozells road ended at barker st which was opposite the cinema...i cant recall it but must have walked past it hundreds of times

lyn

hi gerry going on your directions and if you had to walk past the villa cross cinema the dentists would have been on villa road not lozells road as lozells road ended at barker st which was opposite the cinema...i cant recall it but must have walked past it hundreds of times

lyn
I guess you are right, it is where the place was. I have never forgotten it.....my finger indentations would still be on the door frame.....

lol gerry dentistry and the old rubber mask (i can still smell it now) has certainly changed...even i am not scared these days:D

lyn

lol gerry dentistry and the old rubber mask (i can still smell it now) has certainly changed...even i am not scared these days:D

lyn
Any one recall THE SCHOOL DENTIST VAN!!!! It would arrive in the playground, and we would all be lead into the yard to line up, then, to go up those steps, to be met by the DENTAL NURSE...usually a matronly figure, who took no prisoners! That rubber mask you mention is VIVID! Another thing that I have mentioned to my own kids ( 50 & 45 by the way) is that in our day, they asked us "Do you want Gas or Cocaine? Cocaine was the norm! After that came Sucaine and novocaine.....I don't think they believed me...but it IS true. But I am going off the subject sorry....

Can someone refresh my memory. In 1960 we lived in Park Avenue, Handsworth, off Soho Road My wife taught at Upper Thomas Street and used to catch the 40 from Soho Road. The bus used to come up Villa Road, turn onto Soho Road where there was its terminus and when it left the stop , it turned left into Hampstead Road, then right at the four crossway back into Villa Road, Lozells Road, Six Ways Aston, then down Victoria Road. Am I right
Bob

Recorded elsewhere on BHF but repeated in this thread:
On my eighth birthday, the school dentist arrived and I had to have a milk tooth (I think it was just one) removed. When I got home I discovered that my present was a 22" wheeled Dawes bicycle. Overjoyed I hoped to get outdoors and ride on it. But, the powers that were - at the time - would not allow it. It was pointed out that I might get some sort of chill, or whatever, having had a tooth removed. Luckily, patience had been instilled on me at an early age, so I reluctantly accepted that the next day would get to be my big chance. ;)

Can someone refresh my memory. In 1960 we lived in Park Avenue, Handsworth, off Soho Road My wife taught at Upper Thomas Street and used to catch the 40 from Soho Road. The bus used to come up Villa Road, turn onto Soho Road where there was its terminus and when it left the stop , it turned left into Hampstead Road, then right at the four crossway back into Villa Road, Lozells Road, Six Ways Aston, then down Victoria Road. Am I right
Bob

bob what is it you need refreshing ? if its the bus route from park avenue i am sure someone can help...

lyn

According to the book on Birmingham bus routes the 40A ran from Villa Road to Salford Bridge becoming the 40E in 1964.
The 40 was a full route from Villa Road to Fort Dunlop but only in works times. More changes in PTE days.
Not sure if that answers you Bob?

According to the book on Birmingham bus routes the 40A ran from Villa Road to Salford Bridge becoming the 40E in 1964.
The 40 was a full route from Villa Road to Fort Dunlop but only in works times. More changes in PTE days.
Not sure if that answers you Bob?
It was just that the modern map has the area around Six Ways Aston looking different and I could not remember whether the 40 ran that way. I was at the Fort when the trams became buses, missed those old open fronts, but never traveĺed on the 40 further the n Salford Bridge and only went from Lozells to Salford Bridge on a couple of occasions. Thanks for your replies.

Bob

A pic from another forum thread showing a view of Lozells Road.
index.php

only visible if logged in

I think its one decade earlier Gerry Looking at the vehicle I would say more 1920s than 30s, narrow tyres! and clothes too. I may be wrong but thats my guess:) I like the boot in the middle of the road and the ghostly apparition!
I see the ghost (?) but where's the boot in the middle of the road?

It was originally the Aston Picture Place opened in 1911, later renamed Lozells Picture House but demolished in 1922 to make way for a larger Lozells Picture Theatre. It was not far from Six Ways.

Back