• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Street City Centre Birmingham

Agree Ell re. search. Have raised the question with admin team as it’s frustrating trying to find certain threads that have short/common words, New and Street being a perfect example. Leave it with me. Viv.

thanks viv...have to say this problem with the seach engine is very frustrating i very often cant find threads that i know i have started especially when the thread contains a lot of images..i start to panic thinking we have lost the thead:rolleyes:..hopefully warren maybe able to help make it easier...

lyn

This is Hyam and Co on New Street. The store was built in the 1830s and was probably demolished in the 1950s (?). Must have been an impressive store to visit, if you had money of course. I've seen this image a few times but have never been too sure whereabouts it was on New Street. Viv

View attachment 117881
I read it was here; Hyam's tailoring shop, 21-23, New Street, Birmingham. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/05d29982-1563-4431-9ccf-b435844a3188

I read it was here; Hyam's tailoring shop, 21-23, New Street, Birmingham. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/05d29982-1563-4431-9ccf-b435844a3188
If you go back in this thread Paul429 you will see more details of the location. Post 83 mentions London and other towns.
This link mentions Leeds and Birmingham, but London was presumably the top store. It does show the quality of their products and was certainly a high class establishment. One presumes that those who could afford to send their children to certain types of schools shopped there.
https://www.bl.uk/collection-items/advertisement-for-clothing-outfitters-hyam--co

Newton Chambers - where the former Kardomah Cafe used to be seen on New Street between Needless Alley and Cannon Street. Bit awkward trying to get a shot like this as don't know how it would turn out!

Unit near Needless Alley currently vacant. Middle unit is currently MUJI, right unit near Cannon Street is currently Charles Tyrwhitt.

Previously took it in 2011 when it was Ted Baker.

Cut backs on New Street Christmas lights this year (2018).

The only proper lights are between the Piccadilly Arcade and Pret a Manger.

Purple lights on trees on the parts where the German Christmas market was until last Sunday.

Medicine Bakery + Gallery at the top end of New Street. At 71 New Street. It's been there since about 2017.

HSBC You're not an island campaign in Birmingham.

First up HSBC UK and Apple on New Street (the former Midland Bank / Waterstone's building). Premier Inn above HSBC UK.

You Are Birmingham

This version is over at the Rose Villa Tavern in the Jewellery Quarter in Golden Square, near Vyse Street (and Warstone Lane).

Seems to be a more condensed version.

This fire escape is visible from St Martin's Queensway. I think at the back of the Odeon New Street cinema. Not really noticed it before.

Newton Chambers - where the former Kardomah Cafe used to be seen on New Street between Needless Alley and Cannon Street. Bit awkward trying to get a shot like this as don't know how it would turn out!

Unit near Needless Alley currently vacant. Middle unit is currently MUJI, right unit near Cannon Street is currently Charles Tyrwhitt.

Previously took it in 2011 when it was Ted Baker.

The good old KD as we used to call it way back in those far off days in the swinging sixties . I spent many a good Saturday afternoon in there planning our Saturday nights out , alas never to be repeated

I think the new Nandos is open or is opening soon in Waterloo House on New Street. Seen from Victoria Square.

These details below from Pevsner.

Waterloo House of 1926-7 by Essex & Goodman, a weak faience design with old-fashioned classical details. The side elevation steps up Christ Church Passage and round into Waterloo Street. Ugly 1970s granite facing to the lower floors.

^^

Nandos looked open the last time I walked past it.

Been ages since I've been to one, I think a few years back in Star City. And before that in South Wales

(and once I think outside of London Euston almost 10 years ago).

Similar images to this one have been on the forum before. But this one has a large number of women clustered near the Waterloo Bar. Were they waiting to go into an exhibition at the Birmingham Society of Artists ? There’s a poster shaped like an artist’s palette propped up against one of the pillars. Maybe there was a special exhibition. Although it seems odd that they’re clustered outside the Waterloo Bar if they were waiting to go to the gallery.

No date for the image but I’d guess it to be early 1900-1910 ish. Viv.

598312AB-C5CA-4751-9335-569A8F7B62B3.jpeg

Unusual for women to be congregated outside a bar or pub. There are more at the corner but they are looking in a different direction. Are they waiting for someone to arrive? Or are they waiting for someone or something special to pass by?
They could of course be suffragettes, but I do not see any banners, unless they are waiting to join a march.

Between the Waterloo Bar and the artists building was (in 1890) The Birmingham Coffee House Company, which would have been a bit more "respectable"
More importantly what are those ladies? round the corner of the Waterloo Bar doing or hiding from? Pictures such as this could write a book, the man and wife/daughter/mistress/friend in their horse and cart. The apparently well filled horse bus further down the street, the two couples coming from under the impressive portico of the building further down the street...ah what tales they could all tell; starting with why are all the women in black?

bob

Similar images to this one have been on the forum before. But this one has a large number of women clustered near the Waterloo Bar. Were they waiting to go into an exhibition at the Birmingham Society of Artists ? There’s a poster shaped like an artist’s palette propped up against one of the pillars. Maybe there was a special exhibition. Although it seems odd that they’re clustered outside the Waterloo Bar if they were waiting to go to the gallery.

No date for the image but I’d guess it to be early 1900-1910 ish. Viv.

View attachment 136247

Viv do you think Ed Sheeran was in there ?

As well as the dreadful loss of buildings, so much other detail on buildings was lost due to WW2 bomb damage. The full image attached (previously posted on the High Street thread) made me realise how much less visible details were lost, such as the statue in the gable in the zoom on the image below. I expect none of these features were preserved at that time, such a pity, because even if the buildings have gone, we might at least have had some good features to remind us of those buildings. Was this above the Arcade (Midland ?). There’s a number 17 New Street at street level. There’s also a lovely little cupola to the right of the statue. Was this all’s connected to the Arcade ? Viv.

4C0CF4F3-7D96-4DF6-8BE2-54A4DD206AF6.jpeg

Attachments

• 0FDE2336-BD7C-4177-B416-0F4739DDEFCB.jpeg
    0FDE2336-BD7C-4177-B416-0F4739DDEFCB.jpeg
    504.4 KB · Views: 23
Approximately 60 to 70 years between these two views. In the first image the Big Top had replaced all the WW2 damaged buildings on the right in the earlier view. Workmen were busy on a new building to the left (the Rotunda/Lloyd’s Bank building perhaps ?). Viv.

8049C377-F39F-4BB6-8F9F-9261B4B8BD8C.jpeg843EDD46-EB01-4A1F-BF82-CC54170FD5E2.jpeg

That side of New Street must be south-facing. In this photo looking the other way to post #218 the sun blinds are in use right along that side. Expect the blinds protected the goods on display - pre-polarised glass. And of course would help to keep the shop cool - pre aircon.

A group of two young men in straw boaters and two ladies in summer hats seem to have spotted the cameraman. Looks like a lovely Spring day for a bit of window shopping. Viv.

B65BA00C-4313-45F0-8B62-CAAB3C8B8C36.jpeg

Back