• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lewis's Department Store

I know I was taken to the roof garden but can't remember it, so perhaps I was taken to pet's corner as well. I wonder who looked after the animals. Do you know when it stopped being there?

Too young to know the pets corner but I do have memories of Lewis's.
I would be sent there every saturday to collect two tins of National Health milk powder for my little sister. We lived in Wellesley Street in Hockley,I would walk to Key Hill to catch the train to Snow Hill, 3d for a return ticket. It was actually faster to walk to town but the train was more fun.
Despite being told not to go into Barnbys toy store, which was opposite the station I always did. Then around the corner to Lewis's and their toy department,what treasures were in these places. Rarely given anything from them but I had my dreams.

Many years later I visited Lewis's on my way home from the School of Printing (I was an apprentice) the Royal Marines were recruiting in the store,I was asked if I thought about joining. I told them I was apprenticed for 4 more years and couldn't even if I wanted to. However,the world turns and 18 months later I found myself at the Depot Royal Marines in Deal, Kent and had a career as a Royal Marine lasting 23 years,2 months 1 week and a day.

Happy days.Nodd KD

This was and will always be my most favorite Birmingham store ever, One of my first stops would always be the HiFi department and then I could quite easily spend a few hours in there just browsing around. Christmas time was magical, I would give anything to have those times back again

I remember seeing the pets on the roof of Lewis's when I was a nipper

Someone told me that at Easter there used to be chicks on the roof garden.

Pet's corner must have been really big if they had that many birds as well as other animals. I wonder if any othere Lewis's had a pet's corner. I know the Bristol branch had a roof garden. Really wish I could remember the roof garden!

This was and will always be my most favorite Birmingham store ever, One of my first stops would always be the HiFi department and then I could quite easily spend a few hours in there just browsing around. Christmas time was magical, I would give anything to have those times back again

It was such an interesting building inside, the way everything joined up and you could suddenly be in another department you hadn't quite known was there! Also all the coffee bars in various places.

I expect there was a good lingerie department, but as a very young boy that would not have interested me. However Fr. Ted and friends might have found themselves in there - quite accidentally of course. :laughing:

Another fantastic shop that needs a good mention is Henry's in Union street. Whenever I went into the city centre, I had to go into both, Lewis's & Henry's, though sometimes, I used to go into Rackhams. Met Noel Gordon in there once & was asked to do some decorating for her at her flat, in the tower block by new street station. Such a lovely lady.

I used to drive for Midland RED, and our stop was outside the Bingo Hall/Mecca, opposite Lewis's. My Dad drove for STAR TAXIS in that side road, next to the Bingo arcade.
Hello Gerry. One of my cousins used to drive for midland red. He had done since leaving school. You may have known him. His name is Raymond Howell. After midland red ended, he went straight into working for Arriva in Tamworth. He has now retired. I remember Star taxi's. I had most probably got into your dad's taxi without knowing it.

Hello Gerry. One of my cousins used to drive for midland red. He had done since leaving school. You may have known him. His name is Raymond Howell. After midland red ended, he went straight into working for Arriva in Tamworth. He has now retired. I remember Star taxi's. I had most probably got into your dad's taxi without knowing it.
Hi matey. I worked out of Midland RED Sutton Garage, so occasionally did the 110 and the 116, both Tamworth to City. I can't say that I know the name buddy, but there were a few thousand of us at the time. I was on as a Conductor in 1956 and then a Driver until 1978, so may have passed him on the road maybe.

Hi matey. I worked out of Midland RED Sutton Garage, so occasionally did the 110 and the 116, both Tamworth to City. I can't say that I know the name buddy, but there were a few thousand of us at the time. I was on as a Conductor in 1956 and then a Driver until 1978, so may have passed him on the road maybe.
It is possible I may have caught your bus many times, as I used to catch the 116 into work when I worked at carrefour at minworth.

It is possible I may have caught your bus many times, as I used to catch the 116 into work when I worked at carrefour at minworth.
Quite possible. As an aside, way back when we (Sutton garage) were taken over by the WMPTE, we received three Volvo Alisa deckers. They were from Oldbury garage, and they, unlike our D.9's were 14 feet high, against our 12 footers. I was the first to take one of these into Birmingham. This was when we came out of the bus station, onto Digbeth, and up around to the Odeon bus stop. Unbeknown to me, they were erecting the Christmas lights, in High Street, and along to Worcester Street, and they were using Cherry pickers. I came up Digbeth, turning left toward the Odeon, when I heard a BANG! The upper deck roof had caught the bottom (thank God) of the cherry picker cradle. Everyone was OK, but the lad in the cradle, couldn't understand HOW all the other buses got under the cradle, but....NOT MINE!132314

Someone told me that at Easter there used to be chicks on the roof garden.

Pet's corner must have been really big if they had that many birds as well as other animals. I wonder if any othere Lewis's had a pet's corner. I know the Bristol branch had a roof garden. Really wish I could remember the roof garden!
I remember seeing the chicks & the roof garden. I can also remember queuing up the stairs to see Father Christmas & Uncle Holly in the wonderful grotto.

I was taken to see Santa at Lewis' every year. I remember queuing along the stairwell that surrounded the lifts. I also remember watching punch and judy shows on the roof garden. Then someone jumped off the roof, so they shut it. :-( I also remember that there was a whole floor dedicated to the sale of tents and camping equipment, with all the tents erected. It used to fascinate me how they were designed and fitted out with rooms.

I was taken to see Santa at Lewis' every year. I remember queuing along the stairwell that surrounded the lifts. I also remember watching punch and judy shows on the roof garden. Then someone jumped off the roof, so they shut it. :-( I also remember that there was a whole floor dedicated to the sale of tents and camping equipment, with all the tents erected. It used to fascinate me how they were designed and fitted out with rooms.
I was once told that a girl could be heard screaming as she fell between the stairs from the 5th floor to the bottom, right on the corner of lewis's. I was still at school when this was told to me & refused to use those stairs.

It's surprising Lewis's has not been mentioned much before. I thought it was the principal department store in Brum, certainly bigger than Grey's opposite in Bull Street, and others like snooty Rackham's and the Beehive tucked away in Albert Street were far smaller.
Lewis's was enormous, in two halves separated by the Minories, the only road I remember in Birmingham which had rubber setts to reduce noise. There were basements on either side, which were connected by two or three passages beneath the Minories. The basements were the most interesting part of the store, where the groceries and the fresh fish were sold - what a wonderful smell - I can still remember it! The cosmetics and the haberdashery were on the ground floor and (having checked from a photograph) I can confidently say there were no fewer than six floors above that. I hated the children's haircutting section, where as a tot I had to sit on a wooden animal to have my hair assaulted. On the top level of course there was the Pets' Corner, which I loved, although looking back I suspect the animals had a rough time there.
Peter

I remember Lewis's well and can also remember the smell of the fresh food area.
They always had a great Father Christmas grotto for the kids too.

I worked in Lewis,s in the 1960/70s and there were 5 selling floors plus basement .
The 6th floor was two restaurants 1 self service the other waitress service

The 7th floor was the staff restaurants.there were four staff restaurants 1 for staff 1 for assistant managers both self service then 1 for managers and 1 for senior managers both waitress service .

Underneath the basement was the sub basement which held the staff cloakrooms 1 for women 1 for men . and a few stockrooms.
Underneath the sub basement was a the boiler room.

The basement held tools,tiles, wood, gardening, electriacl goods, hardware,ironmongery, kitchen ware .
Ground floor "B" block was food and pets, the pet shop was closed cus a member of staff died of parrotts disease above that was mens wear , above that ladies wear , third floor was linens and soft funrishings and ladies hairdressing , fourth floor was furniture , Fitfh floor seasonal departments ie Toys,
in The A block ground floor was toiletries, cosmetics, fashion acessories, first floor fashion fabrics miss selfridge, 2nd floor ladies outerwear ,3rd floor beds , 4th floor sofas etc 5th floor seasonal ,

I think childrens wear was on the second floor .
The record shop was outside underneath opposite zissmans menswear , and a coffee bar.

There used to be saying that if you stood outside Lewis,s on a saturday you would see everyone you have ever known.

Wow what great memories of Lewis's thank you.

I remember Lewis's well and can also remember the smell of the fresh food area.
They always had a great Father Christmas grotto for the kids too.
Hello Wendylee. Yes, I too remember the smell of the fresh food department. It always made me feel hungry,even after having something to eat. How I miss those days visiting Lewis's.

Yes it did have foods that were quite different (for the time). I remember seeing various continental sausages there for the first time such as salami and German meats. And pumpernickel ! Think there must have been a deli section. I’m talking 1960s/70s here when people started to look for different tastes, maybe from holidays abroad. Viv.

Back