• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Location wanted for this bus if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the building is at such an acute angle all speculation is subjective, however this is my assessment of the features. I'm not so sure about the location of the step in the building so that ringed in blue at the top of the bus could be another feature.

Attachments

• wycliffe-window-moulding.jpg
    wycliffe-window-moulding.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 30
lukemap.jpg
So the suggestion is that the bus is travelling to the right on St. Luke's Road, positioned about where the '.9' on the B.M.373.9 label is? The tower then belongs to the Baptist Church and the building in front of the bus is the Sunday School. I understand that the Baptist Church was demolished in 1959.

In post#220 I marked on a map where I thought the bus would be in St Lukes Rd and where the photographer may have been standing on the corner of Vere Street.

In post#220 I marked on a map where I thought the bus would be in St Lukes Rd and where the photographer may have been standing on the corner of Vere Street.
I agree with your thoughts of where the photographer would be standing. Do you have any idea of what the buildings were between St Luke’s church and the corner.

I am sorry if this dampens anybody's spirits but this cannot be the building as the windows at the start of the thread rise to a standard pitched roof and these form part of a gable end.
There could be a pitched roof on the other side of the small dormer window seen in the pic in post#334. If so this would match as seen in post#1 pic. There also appears to be a decorative cornice under the gutter of the roof as seen in post#1.

Don't ask me where I read it, like many here I have read much, but I did read that the church was boarded up, out of use, in 1960 and was demolished about a year later.
The picture showing removal of tram track was probably 1953 as the trams ceased in 1952 on Bristol Street/Road. I think the church porch in that picture might well be the old St. Catherine of Sienna church,

Last edited:
Don't ask me where I read, like man here I have read much, but I did read that the church was boarded up, out of use, in 1960 and was demolished about a year later.
The picture showing removal of tram track was probably 1953 as the trams ceased in 1952 on Bristol Street/Road. I think the church porch in that picture might well be the old St. Catherine of Sienna church,

Alan don't forget it must be a pic of the church pre 1964 as it was demolished and rebuilt
Sorry if I caused any confusion, I was referring to the curved window to the right of the the 'unusual design' window and was trying to clarify a couple of earlier posts.

Sorry if I caused any confusion, I was referring to the curved window to the right of the the 'unusual design' window and was trying to clarify a couple of earlier posts.

Brummy-lad no apologies necessary

Yes, indeed the new St. Catherine's is a beautiful church, though I have only seen their web site pics, not actually been in there.

Yes, indeed the new St. Catherine's is a beautiful church, though I have only seen their web site pics, not actually been in there.
Just had a look inside online and this will have to go on my "Places to visit in 2019" list. I admit that I used to dismiss the 'new' churches as worthy of close inspection but, as the years roll by, I now appreciate what was the fag end of excellent craftmanship. Some of the woodwork and glass in these 'modern' buildings is remarkable.

It's hard to keep track of this thread but looking back at #220 I think you are right, (I was only trying to give a rough indication of where things were). I don't think that the limited views that we have seen of the sunday school match the original image though. If St. Luke's Road is the location then the tower is that of the Baptist church, the school is perhaps behind the bus and the strange windows belong to another building altogether?

It's hard to keep track of this thread but looking back at #220 I think you are right, (I was only trying to give a rough indication of where things were). I don't think that the limited views that we have seen of the sunday school match the original image though. If St. Luke's Road is the location then the tower is that of the Baptist church, the school is perhaps behind the bus and the strange windows belong to another building altogether?
I now think the original bus pic should be regarded as a photo of a Daimler COG5, fitted with a Metro-Cammell body, number plate CVP108 ,somewhere on or near the Birmingham Inner Circle route. We just do not have the definite information needed to determine the location.
:)

A photo of Springhill Library taken from Monument Rd. All roads are single carriageway and traffic lights controlled the junction. The Bulpitt factory building can be seen in Icknield Street. Unfortunately no definite date but looks just like I remember it.
1SpringhillLibrarybeforedualcarriageway.jpg

Spring Hill Library was never intended to stand alone. It was designed to stand in a line of buildings along Spring Hill and Icknield Street. That is why it was not decorated on the other two sides. The demolition of the other buildings and the building of a small 1960s shopping centre were incongruous. The more recent building of a major Tesco store has at least boxed it in so it is again standing in a street scene whether you like the Tesco architecture or not. When the caption in the book from which the original bus photo was taken said Spring Hill Library, I thought the bus could have been just ahead of the lorry shown in the photo above. However the position of the library tower completely rules the library out as the location.

Nice photo. Yellow lines initially introduced,in the UK, it seems, in 1960, but repealed briefly, with new legislation.
No sign of the bus stop, just a road direction sign.

A photo of Springhill Library taken from Monument Rd. All roads are single carriageway and traffic lights controlled the junction. The Bulpitt factory building can be seen in Icknield Street. Unfortunately no definite date but looks just like I remember it.
View attachment 131403

There has been the question as to what was on the left hand side of the Library in the picture. I hope I have this right. The 1940 Kelly’s for Spring Hill from the library towards Dudley Road.

2974E15C-ED01-49D7-A644-5D0879A6463F.jpeg

I spoke to my aunt today who clearly remembers a bus stop with a roof on in St Lukes Rd opposite-the church in the original photo. She has lived all her life in the city, now 87 and has clear memories of the are.

There has been the question as to what was on the left hand side of the Library in the picture. I hope I have this right. The 1940 Kelly’s for Spring Hill from the library towards Dudley Road.

View attachment 131413
Pedrocut number 25 Brown's I can never forget this shop , it was not only the strong smell of leather wafting throughout the shop. The overriding factor was , whenever my mother and I walked into the shop Mr Brown immediately broke into song(I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen) , I always dreaded this song as I had thoughts that he was going to make off with my Mother. Strange thing was my Mother's name was Catherine , I suppose Catherine didn't fit into the song as well , I was only about 4 or 5 at the time

Why Methodists (if that is what is meant). Wycliffe was a Baptist Church, one of many with that name.
Because I have a Methodist contact who is interested in the history of Methodism in the Black Country. He also interested in other forms of non-conformity including Baptist. He has contacts in Birmingham and may know someone who could help.

There may be records of Wycliffe Chapel and the Sunday School in St Luke’s Road still in existence, and I am sure he would point in the right direction.

At first glance I would have said Wycliffe Congregational Church in Stockport but that church does not have a spire and the tracery of the windows is different.
View attachment 131854

I will have to check the programme again, but nearly all was filmed in Birmingham. After the shot of the chapel it goes on to show the Baptist Church in Canon Street .

Many of the “Windrush” generation were Baptists and may remember the Chapel on St Luke’s Road. The screenshot is not our Wycliffe as it has a churchyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back